I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

Hello everyone!

Just a reminder that the Little Mermaid will be spending some time in Shanghai beginning May 2009. She is scheduled to return in October 2010.

So.... you can nix that sightseeing checkbox from your list. :o

I thought I read it wasn't going to Shanghai until after the 2009 summer tourist season (something like October 2009). Did this change or am I mistaken?

Thanks,

I read in a tourist book that Constitution Day is June 5 in Denmark. It said that all the shops, restaurants, banks, mueums, etc. are closed. Does anyone know if this is the case as June 5 is the day our ship is in Copenhagen?

I read in a tourist book that Constitution Day is June 5 in Denmark. It said that all the shops, restaurants, banks, mueums, etc. are closed. Does anyone know if this is the case as June 5 is the day our ship is in Copenhagen?

Yep! It's their version of our "independence day" so most everything is closed.

Hello CruisinEurope, I beleive your reply to the Little Mermaid in China should be from May1, 2010 to Oct. 2010. Cheers, John

I could have sworn I just read in the paper that they are getting ready to taker her out for May '09 ... I'll have to go back and read it again and see if I just assumed that they meant May... as in THIS May, or if indeed it is 2010.

Thanks!

I don´t know about any hotels with fridges, besides the minibar :)

Maybe a Hotel appartment instead, try Adina.

www.adina.dk

I second the vote for the Adina for a large family that needs a fridge/kitchen.

it's a GREAT hotel (apartmenthotel), is very close to Osterport station, and very close to the pier.

They also have a great restaurant attached (Ottos) AND a cheap grocery store (Netto). It's a "one stop shop" for comfort, convenience & value.

I know (from experience) that drinking habits in Europe are a little different than the states. My experience has been that Europeans are more inclined to drink wine and beer rather than the spirit cocktails (specifically gin martinis) that I fancy. :D BTW, the absolute best European martinis I've ever had were in Venice. Anyway, can someone suggest a liquor store where we might be able to buy a bottle of premium gin prior to boarding the Emerald Princess?

Thanks,

I know (from experience) that drinking habits in Europe are a little different than the states. My experience has been that Europeans are more inclined to drink wine and beer rather than the spirit cocktails (specifically gin martinis) that I fancy. :D BTW, the absolute best European martinis I've ever had were in Venice. Anyway, can someone suggest a liquor store where we might be able to buy a bottle of premium gin prior to boarding the Emerald Princess?

Thanks,

I'll look around - but the price you're going to pay will be SEVERAL times more than the cruise ship - so you may just want to order it on board. The price of alcohol here is insane.

What is the brand you're looking for - as I can probably get you an idea of prices so that you can see what I mean.

I'll look around - but the price you're going to pay will be SEVERAL times more than the cruise ship - so you may just want to order it on board. The price of alcohol here is insane.

What is the brand you're looking for - as I can probably get you an idea of prices so that you can see what I mean.

The problem with buying liquor on the ship is that they hold it until the end of the cruise. I'm looking for that "pre-dinner martini" on our balcony. We did this on our Alaska cruise last summer and it was great.

Anyway, my first choice is Tanqueray 10 (not plain Tanqueray) which is even sometimes hard to find in the states. It's expensive here so I can only imagine what it would cost in Copenhagen. My second choice is Bombay Sapphire. Again, thanks for the help.

CRUISIN EUROPE

Can you give us an idea of some of the places that will be open on Constitution Day. This is the day we are in port.

for the most part - museums and cafes and restaurants are open. Most shops (including grocery stores) will be closed (except probably those on the Langeline pier), and the banks/etc. are closed. Tivoli, Bakken, etc. are all open as usual.

If there is something in particular that you want to see - I'd check with them beforehand to make sure they will be open, and what their hours will be, as some places may have modified hours for the holiday.

The problem with buying liquor on the ship is that they hold it until the end of the cruise. I'm looking for that "pre-dinner martini" on our balcony. We did this on our Alaska cruise last summer and it was great.

Anyway, my first choice is Tanqueray 10 (not plain Tanqueray) which is even sometimes hard to find in the states. It's expensive here so I can only imagine what it would cost in Copenhagen. My second choice is Bombay Sapphire. Again, thanks for the help.

princess won't let you order a bar set up for IN your cabin? you may want to check on that, as MOST lines DO allow this - - you order directly with them and they have it in your stateroom for you when you board (or soon after).

you can get Bombay sapphire in most liquor stores -

and then of course there is the tax free shops at the airports. you could probably find your gin there and just stick it in your check baggage for the ship.

princess won't let you order a bar set up for IN your cabin? you may want to check on that, as MOST lines DO allow this - - you order directly with them and they have it in your stateroom for you when you board (or soon after).

you can get Bombay sapphire in most liquor stores -

and then of course there is the tax free shops at the airports. you could probably find your gin there and just stick it in your check baggage for the ship.

Of course you are correct about the ship. I was thinking about the duty free shop on the ship. The problem with a setup from room service is there 375 ml bottles and very expensive. I like your tax free shop idea.

Thanks,

Of course you are correct about the ship. I was thinking about the duty free shop on the ship. The problem with a setup from room service is there 375 ml bottles and very expensive. I like your tax free shop idea.

Thanks,

I would venture to guess that you won't find them any cheaper in CPH - - except MAYBE for the tax free store at the airport.

What about just getting one before you leave home and stashing it in your checked luggage? That would seem to me to be the safest (and cheapest) route??

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Hi,

I will be in Copenhagen of Aug 28, have already booked an excursion to see the highlights and the Ice bar so will have 3 hours booked in the morning. I would like to ask how easy it is for me to visit Tivoli for a couple of hours and if its far from the pier and also what the weather is like at that time of year.

Thanks

Katya (MALTA)

Hello! We are American "ex-pats" who are currently living in Copenhagen.

LOTS of great ships come through here - and I'm more than happy to give advice on "what to see and do".

We have two children, ages 4 and 6 (currently) - so are very well versed in "what do to with kids".

The great thing about CPH is that it is a VERY (and I mean VERY) clean, safe, and EASY city to explore.

This is a "not to miss" city on your plans --

Enjoy!

Thank you for the offer... We found it is over US$1,000 cheaper (for 5 of us) to fly out the day after our cruise ends in Copenhagen, so figure we will just extend a day there instead. Could you help with the following:

- We need a hotel - hopefully local European flavor, and relatively inexpensive (cheap local if there is such a thing). We probably need 2 rooms unless they have a suite.

- I see food and everything is very pricey there. I'm assuming we will want to get to the hotel, check in, then possibly go to Tivoli for the evening. We have to fly out at noon the next day. Suggestions on how to save money in this process is most welcome. - getting to and into Tivoli, getting to the airport.

Sorry if this has been asked before. I started through the many pages, but have not found these answers yet.

Thanks again.

http://www.cabinn.com/english/kbh/city/city.html

This hotel is located close to the Central station and Tivoli so you can walk to the Central station (look for the text "Hovedbanegårdens shoppingcenter" on the map) and catch the train to the airport.

The walk to and from Tivoli is free :) and it only takes 2-3 minutes to get there.

The cheapes way to get to and from the airport is by train but to calculate the price i need some info.

How old are the persons in your group, because childrens under 12 travels for free with one adult and kids under 16 is paying half the price.

A single ticket to and from the Airport cost 31,5 dkk but you can buy some discount cards (Stamping cards) for the group so i need to know if it is all adults or if there is kids in your group.

I would venture to guess that you won't find them any cheaper in CPH - - except MAYBE for the tax free store at the airport.

What about just getting one before you leave home and stashing it in your checked luggage? That would seem to me to be the safest (and cheapest) route??

I thought about that but I had 2 concerns. First, I'm not sure how legal it is to bring liquor in your luggage when traveling internationally. Please correct me if I'm wrong. On more than one ocassion our luggage has been a victim of one of those spot checks where they open your luggage (you know they looked because they leave a note in your bag telling you so :rolleyes:). The other concern is that no matter how well we pack it, it might break. I guess a third issue is the added weight to the bag.

I'm guessing we'll just see if the tax free store in the airport option works (of course I have my doubts that it will be open since we arrive early in the morning) or else just bite the bullet and buy it in the city.

Thanks,

This is such a long thread that I haven't processed all of it, so my questions may be redundant.

First - I was in Copenhagen in 1950 when I was 12 years old. We had some Danish Girl Scouts with us. I remember Tivoli very fondly, and especially a roller coaster that went into a mountain which was unusual for then. I'd like to ride it again. Is that the oldest roller coaster that is still there?

I also remember that they dropped paper fliers over the park from a plane which had a message in Danish. The scouts had a hard time translating it and all we could tell was that Truman had done something. I turned out to be the "police action" in Korea.

On the projected trip, I (age 71) will be traveling with my granddaughter who is about the same age I was on that first trip. I can walk some, but I can't stand very long (like in lines), and I tire easily. So I'm not looking to do a lot of physical exercise and certainly not a lot of extra walking.

We are arriving early on June 10th, and leaving June 12th on the HAL Rotterdam. My granddaughter is quite boy crazy - maybe a little bit more than I was at that age. Or maybe not.

My projected schedule is as follows - we arrive by direct flight from the US early on June 10th. I thought I would take the train in to the Central Station, and hope to stay in a hotel near the train station and also near Tivoli. Will I need a Copenhagen ticket for the train and is that a reasonable plan or should I get a taxi?

I have been told that the boat tour is nicer than the bus tour, and so I have bought tickets on the hop on hop off boat. I find that such a tour is a good way to deal with jet lag as it doesn't take much intellectual or physical effort other than taking photographs. Does that tour have most of the major sites on it?

Since we will be doing a LOT of museums and tours on the cruise [stockholm, Oslo, Helsinki, Berlin and St. Petersburg], I though we would mostly shop and relax in the morning of the 11th. I remember buying a charm bracelet of little animals carved from walrus tusks or something of the sort with money my grandmother gave me. It was a local craft shop. I love amber. I rarely wear any jewelry anymore, but I could get some for gifts. I'm not interesting in carrying anything like china with me, so they should either ship or the items should be quite small. Should we go to the pier area to shop or is there a better place?

I thought we'd go to Tivoli in the afternoon and spend the afternoon there and eat dinner there. I will have a debit card to use to get cash. Can you repeat the prices for the ride tickets and admission to Tivoli?

Will a Copenhagen ticket be a good deal? If we were to see one other thing, what would you recommend for a 12 year old girl and her grandmother. She has a stamp collection - how about the Postal Museum?

Archived