I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We will be in Copenhagen for about 9 hours off the Jewel in August. It is a Sunday, will most of the venues be open on Sunday, including most of the Shops.

We were looking at maybe one of the 2 1/2 sight seeing tours,a nd then maybe a canal boat ride. I know it's not enough time to see everything, but would this be a good way to get a feel for Copenhagen??. I know people use the Copenhagern card, but we really don't like to rush around just to try and see everything, so we felt the card may not really be for us. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated..

The venues will be open. Most shops will be closed - but the touristy ones (souvenier shops, etc.) will be open.

The two tours - the HOHO bus and the canal tour are a great intro to the city and I think you'll be pleased with how much you're able to see.

Maybe a stop inside Rosenborg, and at Amalienborg at noon to see the changing of the guard if you can....

Enjoy your time!

If we take the #26 bus from the pier do we need exact change...in Danish coins? If so, what's the fare amount. Does the bus have maybe an ATM/Credit Card swipe ability?

Leaving the port on the #26...what's the best stop to get off at the start the "Castle" walk...it think I read you can follow the Royal Guard from one castle to the other?

Thanks ahead for the help!

You do need coins - the fare will depend on where you are going. There aren't any swipe ability on the bus at all.

If you get off at Rosenborg Slot - you can follow the guard from there to Amalienborg to watch the changing of the guard (at noon).

We have been checking for hotels for the June 11th date as well. We have been checking 2 or 3 times a day since the 14th when you thought the hotels might have some rooms available, but to no avail.

Any suggestions?

how many ppl are you trying to put into a room?? if you're looking for a room to hold 4 - that is probably your issue.

Try looking for rooms for 2 people max -

i plugged in 2 people for arrival on June 11 for one night (not sure how many nights you need) and found several choices when using http://www.kayak.com

Good luck!

Hi! My family and I will be arriving on the Celebrity Constelation on June 10 2009 (wed). We would like to know the easiest or best or cheapest way to get from the port to Tivoli or the downtown area. Thanks for your help! Kristin

@ sunshine nana

Bus number 26 do not reach the freeport terminal in the weekends but it will reach Langelinie pier all week long.

@ JimGB

Bus number 26 goes directly from Langelinie where your ship is docked to both Town hall square (near the main entrance) and the Central Station/Tivoli. (next to the central station entrance)

Hi,

We are a family of four with 3.5 yrs. old and 5.5 yrs. old children arriving in Copenhagen the day of our cruise in July. We are planning to stay for 3 days after the cruise. Since we have similar age of children, can you give me an idea on what to do with those 3 days? What hotel would you recommend in order for us to get a comfortable stay. We normally stay at Mariott and Hilton in the US so I am looking for something similar in service. Would you recommend European based hotel? Also, one of my child is quite picky with foods. Your help is greatly appreciated.

The venues will be open. Most shops will be closed - but the touristy ones (souvenier shops, etc.) will be open.

The two tours - the HOHO bus and the canal tour are a great intro to the city and I think you'll be pleased with how much you're able to see.

Maybe a stop inside Rosenborg, and at Amalienborg at noon to see the changing of the guard if you can....

Enjoy your time!

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.

We will be arriving in cph the morning of the 3rd for 2 days pre-cruise on the emerald and staying at the clarion 27. Is it possible to take the train from the airport to this hotel and what stop would we get off at? Also, have you heard any good/bad things about this hotel? is it in a good location? On the day of the cruise, would it be best to take a taxi to the pier? thank you

We will be arriving in cph the morning of the 3rd for 2 days pre-cruise on the emerald and staying at the clarion 27. Is it possible to take the train from the airport to this hotel and what stop would we get off at? Also, have you heard any good/bad things about this hotel? is it in a good location? On the day of the cruise, would it be best to take a taxi to the pier? thank you

I believe this is the "Hotel 27" that has the ice bar? as I couldn't find any other reference to Clarion 27 at all.

This is the website: http://www.hotel27.dk/website/ (it's in English)

IF it is this hotel, then you can easily take the train to Copenhagen Central Station (Kobenhaven K) and walk a few blocks to the hotel. Or take the train then catch a quick taxi ride.

For getting to the pier, you can either take the train to Osterport station and then walk (a good mile) or take a taxi from that station. Or the bus runs from Osterport station to the Langeline pier.

MANY options - you just have to know your limits/abilities and make the best decision for you.

ENjoy!

We will be staying in Copenhagen two days June 30 to July 2. We will be arriving early on June 30the so I expect to take it slow cthat day. We can be more ambitious the second day as we will be somewhat rested. I imagine we would take the canal tour and mermaid tour the second day. What would you recommend for the first day. As I noted before we are staying at The Grand, so we'd like something fairly close to that hotel. I think the hotel is close to the main train station. Also, what is the price of the res[ective tours?

Thank you so much for this great thread - wonderful help and advice!

I have a question regarding how to see the most site and which you suggest would be best value for $$:

1. Grand Tour of CPH $29.81 - 2 1/2 hrs., departs from City Hall Square

2. City and Harbor $26.08 - 2 1/2 hrs., departs City Hall Squar (possibly Poaske Bus?)

3. Harbor and Canal $10.65 - 1 hr., departs Nyhavn & Gammel Stand

Do tickets need to be reserved online ahead of time?

Many thanks!

Would it be appropriate to get some Danish money at the airport when we land? Like from an ATM or money changing booth. Is there a better or cheaper way to do it?

ATMs are often the best bet for chaning money. Unless, of course, you can get a bit before you leave at YOUR bank...

There is also a FOREX counter at the airport too - so you can check out their fees, and compare them to what your bank will charge you and decide which is the better deal.

We will be staying in Copenhagen two days June 30 to July 2. We will be arriving early on June 30the so I expect to take it slow cthat day. We can be more ambitious the second day as we will be somewhat rested. I imagine we would take the canal tour and mermaid tour the second day. What would you recommend for the first day. As I noted before we are staying at The Grand, so we'd like something fairly close to that hotel. I think the hotel is close to the main train station. Also, what is the price of the res[ective tours?

Not sure what you mean by the Mermaid tour - - are you referring to the HOHO bus? If so, you can get a combined ticket for the canal tour and the HOHO directly from http://www.sightseeing.dk/ (prices, etc. are all on there).

Regarding something close and easy to do on your first day - - why not head over to Tivoli and get some dinner and stroll the gardens. It's a great relaxing way to see one of Copenhagen's most treasured spots.

Enjoy!

Thank you so much for this great thread - wonderful help and advice!

I have a question regarding how to see the most site and which you suggest would be best value for $$:

1. Grand Tour of CPH $29.81 - 2 1/2 hrs., departs from City Hall Square

2. City and Harbor $26.08 - 2 1/2 hrs., departs City Hall Squar (possibly Poaske Bus?)

3. Harbor and Canal $10.65 - 1 hr., departs Nyhavn & Gammel Stand

Do tickets need to be reserved online ahead of time?

Many thanks!

Not sure where you're getting your tour info from - so I can't know exactly what you are looking at.

http://www.sightseeing.dk/ is the main site in CPH where you can book various coach tours.

The open top tour (ie: HOHO) is great, and you can get a combined ticket and do both the HOHO and Canal tour. You can purchase your ticket directly on the HOHO bus, so if you change your mind, you're not stuck with a ticket you won't use.

We are planning visiting the Viking Ships during our portday at Copenhagen. Can you advise on the best way to get to the museum and wether the Copenhagencard will get us there and gain us free admission.

Many Thanks.

We are planning visiting the Viking Ships during our portday at Copenhagen. Can you advise on the best way to get to the museum and wether the Copenhagencard will get us there and gain us free admission.

Many Thanks.

I am assuming you are talking about the "Viking Ship Museum" out in Roskilde, Denmark. ???

Here is the website: http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.php?id=1246&no_cache=1&L=1

If that is all you are going to do - then I would not advise you to get the CPH card, as you'll be wasting quite a bit of money.

Instead, just take the regional train (easily from Osterport and CPH Central station) out to Roskilde Station. From there you will need to also take a bus #358 heading towards Stenløse st. and get off at Dronning Margrethes Vej. From there its about a 10 minute or so walk.

YOu can find exact directions on the museum website.

Note that it's almost a full hour of travel to get to the museum from CPH proper.

Enjoy!

Above tours were ads on hotel confirmation from hotels.com for Hilton CPH Airport. Hope that helps.....

sorry - it really doesn't. However - there aren't a lot of tour companies in CPH, so it's most likely that you're talking about the same ones offered on the sightseeing.dk website.

Choose whatever fits your budget / interest - - can't go wrong with any of them really (though, my personal fave is the combo HOHO/Canal tour).

Enjoy!

@ peck

The train to Roskilde takes 20-25 minutes and you can take a nice stroll through Roskilde and down to the viking ship museum.

Or you can take bus number 216 og 607 from the station.

The cph card will cover the transportation but not entrance to the museum.

Just to clarify. The Mermaid Tour is one of the 3 Lines offered on the Open Top Tours (or HOHO) You can buy 1 line or all 3. The company website http://www.sightseeing.dk is very good at answering emails if you have questions.

You can pay the bus driver ( kroner and Euros). Credit cards are accepted at start point only in the Town Square. If you want to prepay, you can on their website. 10% discount for 21 days advance purchase. The ticket is an eticket you print out and take with you to show driver.

CruisinEurope,

Hello from North Carolina. We are sailing from CPH on June 18 and will be spending a couple of days sightseeing prior to sailing.

We are not sure of the type of clothing to take to be appropriately dressed. Are tailored jeans acceptable attire for sightseeing? In better (but not "over the top") restaurants, what type of clothing do you suggest? Will my husband need a blazer for dining? Any other clothing advice would be appreciated.

We continue to review the postings in your wonderful thread. Thank you for your time and valuable advice.

Chezcarp

CruisinEurope,

Hello from North Carolina. We are sailing from CPH on June 18 and will be spending a couple of days sightseeing prior to sailing.

We are not sure of the type of clothing to take to be appropriately dressed. Are tailored jeans acceptable attire for sightseeing? In better (but not "over the top") restaurants, what type of clothing do you suggest? Will my husband need a blazer for dining? Any other clothing advice would be appreciated.

We continue to review the postings in your wonderful thread. Thank you for your time and valuable advice.

Chezcarp

Hello!

The Danes are refreshingly casual - even in their business attire. Smart, tailored casual clothing is appropriate EVERYWHERE and in most every situation.

If you plan on a very fancy dinner out at say a place like NIMB or one of the Michelin starred restaurants - your hubby will want a blazer, and probably a dress for yourself. Otherwise - jeans (especially tailored ones) are appropriate anywhere.

In July the temps can be quite warm (not NC warm, but in the high 70s - 80s). It's always a good idea to pack layers for this part of the world, as mornings and late evenings can get quite cool, while the days in the full sun can be very warm. A shawl or sweater or light jacket would be a very good thing to pack.

Another item that you may find very handy is a small travel sized umbrella, as sun showers are quite common in the summer.

COMFY walking shoes are a must - as you will find a lot of cobblestone and uneven surfaces.

Enjoy your stay in CPH!

- Jen

Archived