I live in Copenhagen - can give advice

We are going to be spending a night post cruise in Copenhagen during the jazz festival. I have tried getting on the official website to see what is offered and where, etc, but it isn't really very informative (esp considering this is only 2 months away). I understand there are a number of free events. Is this something worth attending or is it just a chaotic huge crowd? Where are the concerts usually held?

So now we will be at Nordre Toldbod on May 18. How far is it from a HoHo bus stop?

It looks like a single berth???

I don't see a bus stop there...is it a long walk to any attractions.

Thanks in advance!

Frances

The road work on the street that leads from Osterport Station to Langeline pier has been finished!! The sidewalks that they put in are FANTASTIC and now I can wholeheartedly recommend that it IS "easily walkable" from Osterport station to Langeline pier.

It's still about a mile away though, so the distance is still a factor - but now I'm not worried about anyone getting stuck in the construction or dealing with no sidewalks, etc.

It's gorgeous! :D

We are going to be spending a night post cruise in Copenhagen during the jazz festival. I have tried getting on the official website to see what is offered and where, etc, but it isn't really very informative (esp considering this is only 2 months away). I understand there are a number of free events. Is this something worth attending or is it just a chaotic huge crowd? Where are the concerts usually held?

what night will you be there? the danish site lets you pick the day and see the schedule ....

the jazz festival is pretty much like any "no one spot" festival - with smaller concerts/performances being held throughout the city. There isn't one huge stage where everyone comes together for the most part.

Thanks for your great message board! You are really helpful. I think we will plan to take the HOHO for our stop in Copenhagen this summer with our 2 children. We are arriving Monday July 13 on the Celebrity Constellation. We are wondering where we have to go to get start the HO HO?

Thanks!

Thanks for your great message board! You are really helpful. I think we will plan to take the HOHO for our stop in Copenhagen this summer with our 2 children. We are arriving Monday July 13 on the Celebrity Constellation. We are wondering where we have to go to get start the HO HO?

Thanks!

if you are docked at Langeline the HOHO should stop there. otherwise the "official start" is in Radhusplatsen - "Town Hall Square". You can easily get there by metro (Copenhagen Central - just 2 blocks away) or via any number of busses.

Enjoy your time in CPH!

@ fhmoore

Nordre Toldbod is located closer to downtown Copenhagen, aprox. 800 meters from Amalienborg Castle.

You can get to the HoHo busses at Langelinie just on the other side of kastellet fortress and the little mermaid.

there is also a HOHO stop directly in front of Amalienborg though too - on the harbor side where the pier is - so you can probably pick it up right there.

(funny - I had no idea cruise ships docked there!)

what night will you be there? the danish site lets you pick the day and see the schedule ....

the jazz festival is pretty much like any "no one spot" festival - with smaller concerts/performances being held throughout the city. There isn't one huge stage where everyone comes together for the most part.

We are going to be there July 10th. I tried picking the date on the English website and nothing happened. I'll try figuring out the Danish.

The road work on the street that leads from Osterport Station to Langeline pier has been finished!! The sidewalks that they put in are FANTASTIC and now I can wholeheartedly recommend that it IS "easily walkable" from Osterport station to Langeline pier.

It's still about a mile away though, so the distance is still a factor - but now I'm not worried about anyone getting stuck in the construction or dealing with no sidewalks, etc.

It's gorgeous! :D

Related questions--for healthy, mobile people is it also a reasonable walking distance with light rolling luggage (let's say up to 20 minutes or so) from (1) Osterport Station to Frihavn and the DFDS ferry dock for Oslo (I think that there is also a shuttle bus for the DFDS ferry); and (2) from the central Copenhagen train station to the Marriott hotel? It looks like it on maps.

Thanks.

Les

Related questions--for healthy, mobile people is it also a reasonable walking distance with light rolling luggage (let's say up to 20 minutes or so) from (1) Osterport Station to Frihavn and the DFDS ferry dock for Oslo (I think that there is also a shuttle bus for the DFDS ferry); and (2) from the central Copenhagen train station to the Marriott hotel? It looks like it on maps.

Thanks.

Les

my only qualm with walking from Osterport to Frihavn is the current construction going on down by the entrance to the piers (Frihavn and where DFDS ferrys dock).

If you wanted to walk to Frihavn/DFDS, then you can also just take the metro to Norreport and it's MUCH closer - so maybe then you won't mind the lack of sidewalks, etc. to get there.

Walking from CPH Central Station to the Marriott is also doable for those in good shape. No qualms there.

We are a group of 6 coming the 2nd of September for a cruise leaving the 3rd. We are booked at the Marriott. I was wondering what the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and then the pier the next day. Thanks!

Firstly , after studying about Denmark and Swedan , I´ve decided we must move to Scandanavia!What a wonderful place , so much to see and do.

The more I study , the harder it is to make decisions as everything looks so interesting.I had already decided about my schedule , but after reading more I am in doubt.

Questions:

If I visit the Viking Museum in Roskilde , would the visit to the Vasa Musuem be necessary?By necessary , I mean I want to visit a ship museum with my kids and the Viking Museum looks more hands on. But I know the Vasa is supposed to be fantastic-opinions , please.

If we do go to Roskilde , what forms of public transport are available and how long would it take to get there?Once there , is it easy to get to the other attractions on foot?

What I would really like to do is the following , but I don´t know how to work it. Advice needed.

-Kronborg Slot

-deerpark

-Charlottenlund Fort /Beach

-Viking Museum

-Tivoli

We have 2 days -we leave at 4 on the 2nd day. I think renting a car the 1st day would be ideal , and have a more centralized 2 nd day.

Thank you for any help /input !

Kim

P.S kids are 5 ,9 and 12 -plan to visit Skansen in Stockholm.

I posted this in a separate thread when I meant to post it here.

We're visiting Copenhagen on a cruise this summer. We're used to walking and are able to go at a good pace. Please advise if this plan is reasonable for timing and if all of the locations are accessible by walking. Thanks in advance.

RandS

- Ship arrives 8am

- Walk from Langeline Pier to city centre (~ 30 min) passing by Little Mermaid and Amalienborg Palace

- Canal tour from Nyhavn Harour departing 9:30 (1 hour)

- Walk to Round Tower and take tour around 12 noon (1 hour)

- Walk back toward City Hall square

- Ice Bar reservation at 2 pm (1 hour)

- Walk back to cruise port or take shuttle from King's Square

- Ship departs at 5pm

Will be arriving May 21 for May 23 cruise and also stay 2 nights post cruise, June 2 - 4, 2009. Am not sure what the temperatures will be like which is causing a problem of what to pack. Light jacket, jeans, crop pants, sandals?? Help.

Any suggestions for parks, nature centers, nature trails? Hubby is a bird watcher and likes nature. This thread has helpful information, keep up the good work.

We are staying at Nyhavn. Would taking a DFDS ferry to Freeport be a good alternative to taking a taxi to the ship?

depends on your luggage. the boats aren't very big, and there are steps leading up to dockside....

if you take the S-Tog to Norreport, it's a quick walk (though, construction is going on now that is wreaking havoc on the sidewalks... maybe it will be done by the time you are here)

We are a group of 6 coming the 2nd of September for a cruise leaving the 3rd. We are booked at the Marriott. I was wondering what the best way to get from the airport to the hotel and then the pier the next day. Thanks!

easiest - taxi

ok - train (metro) / walking

depends on your stamina, luggage, etc. this thread is chock full of ppl asking the same question -- so you may want to do a search and see what you can find.

Firstly , after studying about Denmark and Swedan , I´ve decided we must move to Scandanavia!What a wonderful place , so much to see and do.

The more I study , the harder it is to make decisions as everything looks so interesting.I had already decided about my schedule , but after reading more I am in doubt.

Questions:

If I visit the Viking Museum in Roskilde , would the visit to the Vasa Musuem be necessary?By necessary , I mean I want to visit a ship museum with my kids and the Viking Museum looks more hands on. But I know the Vasa is supposed to be fantastic-opinions , please.

I love both. The Roskilde one is a bit more child friendly - but you could EASILY spend a full day here so that may eat up too much time. The Vasa museum is wonderful, and a bit quicker to tour though, though not as much for kiddos.

If we do go to Roskilde , what forms of public transport are available and how long would it take to get there?Once there , is it easy to get to the other attractions on foot? You can take the train/bus up to Roskilde. Takes about 45 mins from downtown CPH. Not a lot of other attractions besides the church in Roskilde.

What I would really like to do is the following , but I don´t know how to work it. Advice needed.

-Kronborg Slot

-deerpark

-Charlottenlund Fort /Beach

-Viking Museum

-Tivoli

We have 2 days -we leave at 4 on the 2nd day. I think renting a car the 1st day would be ideal , and have a more centralized 2 nd day.

Thank you for any help /input !

Kim

P.S kids are 5 ,9 and 12 -plan to visit Skansen in Stockholm.

For 2 days, with kids - - I think you are being awfully ambitious because most of those things you mention are EASILY 1/2 or full day attractions.

Here is a schedule that I think may work for you... but I take out the deer park ... if you REALLY want to see it, then maybe do it first thing in the AM on Day 2 before Roskilde... at that time Bakken won't be open, so you won't have to dissappoint your kids for not being able to do that too.

Day 1 (assuming it's a full day?)

Kronborg Slot - head out early, get there at opening, and spend 2 hours combing through the castle. Don't forget the underground ramparts.

Charlottenlund Fort /Beach - when you're ready for lunch, get back on the S-tog and head to Charlottenlund. grab a hot dog and ice cream and play on the beach/fort for a bit. you won't need but an hour here to explore.

Tivoli - plan on dinner and evening fun here. Tivoli is great in the evening when the lights come on. Great end to an adventurous day.

Day 2

Viking Museum

Hope that helps???

I posted this in a separate thread when I meant to post it here.

We're visiting Copenhagen on a cruise this summer. We're used to walking and are able to go at a good pace. Please advise if this plan is reasonable for timing and if all of the locations are accessible by walking. Thanks in advance.

RandS

- Ship arrives 8am

- Walk from Langeline Pier to city centre (~ 30 min) passing by Little Mermaid and Amalienborg Palace

- Canal tour from Nyhavn Harour departing 9:30 (1 hour)

- Walk to Round Tower and take tour around 12 noon (1 hour)

- Walk back toward City Hall square

- Ice Bar reservation at 2 pm (1 hour)

- Walk back to cruise port or take shuttle from King's Square

- Ship departs at 5pm

sounds great!

Will be arriving May 21 for May 23 cruise and also stay 2 nights post cruise, June 2 - 4, 2009. Am not sure what the temperatures will be like which is causing a problem of what to pack. Light jacket, jeans, crop pants, sandals?? Help.

Any suggestions for parks, nature centers, nature trails? Hubby is a bird watcher and likes nature. This thread has helpful information, keep up the good work.

layers are key for packing. i'd bring nice jeans or khakis. short sleeves & a fleece should be fine.

nature parks - Dyrehave (lots of info on this thread if you run a search) is a great spot to commune with nature. :D

enjoy your stay!

That looks good! If we rented a car on the first day ,hitting Kronborg , Charlottelund etc , would we gain more time?

I see the coastal road looks so pretty.

Is Bakken visible from the Deer Park (you´re right about not disappointing the kids!)

You mentioned subway service to Roskilde on another thread? Is that right?

Thanks

Kim

That looks good! If we rented a car on the first day ,hitting Kronborg , Charlottelund etc , would we gain more time?

I see the coastal road looks so pretty.

Is Bakken visible from the Deer Park (you´re right about not disappointing the kids!)

You mentioned subway service to Roskilde on another thread? Is that right?

Thanks

Kim

Hi Kim!

You may gain a tiny bit of time, but not much, if you rented a car. Do note that 99% of rental cars are automatic here - so be prepared for that. Also, parking is NOT easy to find in CPH (but not so much of a problem at Kronborg or Charlottenlund fort/beach). To me, personally, the cost would outweigh the minimal time values that you would get ... however, the coastal road IS very pretty!

Bakken is visible from the entrance to the deer park - so going with kids who love parks is not a good idea unless you plan on stopping in. Bakken is the world's oldest amusement park, and TOTALLY worth a gander around - - even if it's only to get some ice cream and wander. It's free to go in, but the rides are all extra (you can get a wrist band, coupon book, or pay as you go on each ride).

I'm pretty sure I mentioned the subway/bus to Roskilde on here .. as I am not really "on" any other threads... this one keeps me plenty busy :D

To recap:

http://vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/index.php?id=1246&no_cache=1&L=1

is the website, click to change the language in the drop down menu

Transportation to Roskilde can be done on the REGIONAL TRAINS which you can catch at Osterport, CPH Central, Hellerup, etc. There is also bus service avaialble. On the website, they direct you to either krak.dk which gives you driving directions, or to the DSB website where you can plug in where you're starting from - - and it gives you the route.

Archived