My Observations of the Paradise named HMC

sail7seas

I was on HMC on Friday, October 15. It was painful, but I was also very thankful that so much survived. I took a lot of photos, and I should have them up for people to view in about a week. Maybe sooner. :)

I compared what we saw Friday with what I saw when I was there last in Jan 2002, including comparisons with pictures. The largest hit was taken by the vegetation ... trees, bushes, flowers ... all stripped, damaged, destroyed, pulled up, gone. That was painful to see. The cabanas are closed ... even those that were not destroyed lack power. Another few weeks until they get them open again. One of the things that I noticed right off the bat, once we got onto the beach, was that it was narrower than it used to be -- significant beach erosion. I compared specific photos from precise locations and it looks like the beach has lost about 1/3 - 1/2 of its Jan 02 width.

As for the water ... Sail noticed that one couldn't see one's feet on the bottom. Well ... we could. The water was amazing ... and clear clear CLEAR all the way to the bottom. So ... an extra few days was enough to settle it down. It was still smooth -- for the most part.

Yes, the chapel survived. Though the vegetation around it took a hit ... it's not longer as attractive as it was before.

And one of the best pieces of news .... the "I could Stay Here Forever" Bar Survived!!!! YIPPIE!!!!!!!

I'm so happy to hear the fish are back and that the roiling of the water has cleared and we can again see our feet through the water. That is sooo good to hear. How fast nature is able to 'mend itself'.

As to the vegetation, that's a matter of new plantings. Bushes, shrubs, flowers grow so very fast in that climate, I am sure we'll be seeing new plantings very soon. We Saw alot of new growth on the plants they pruned back. It was already inches long so I know it will fill in quickly.

Archived