Do I have to bring a car seat?

hqtang22

funny - i have never seen a carseat for an airplane...if it crashes it crashes...

cars - well, you need one...

i prefer than to pay abit more and go shuttle bus - no seat belts there, no car seats needed i guess.

hard part is to find a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel and then to the port...

any ideas? i have a 2 and 5 year old

We picked up a cheap carseat at Walmart, lightweight and only about $35. Its a Cosco Scenara. The first trip we took with DD we took her large Britax and that proved to be too large and heavy to lug around. The Scenara is from infant through toddlers (5# to 40#, I believe) and can be rear or forward facing. No base so it was very easy to take with us. We also got the PAKBACK from one step ahead. Basically a backpack that straps the carseat onto your back for easy carrying through airports or while waiting in line to board a cruise. Its much safer to travel in a car seat. Even a fender bender can propel and infant through the window and eject them fom your arms. I have seen it many times in the PICU's.

Julie

Hi,

I guess most of you responding are from the US??

I'm from Australia and think its fantastic that you are able to take your carseats on a flight in the US. I have never been allowed to and have always been made to check my carseats in. I can't believe the airlines expect a child or baby to safe in those silly little strap around things.

I am now living in the Middle East and the same here, but that doesn't surprise me here as they only just brought in a law you have to wear your seatbelt when travelling in the front!! The children are never strapped in:mad:

I have never even seen a carseat on a flight and would love for the airlines internationally to come up with a better solution. I am now trying to order a tote n go or other portable car seat over the Internet before I travel. Thanks for all the good advice.

funny - i have never seen a carseat for an airplane...if it crashes it crashes...

cars - well, you need one...

i prefer than to pay abit more and go shuttle bus - no seat belts there, no car seats needed i guess.

hard part is to find a shuttle bus from the airport to the hotel and then to the port...

any ideas? i have a 2 and 5 year old

Turbulence during a flight, hard landings are some of the reasons a protective seat with a 5 point harness is important on a flight. The seat belts damage your child's internal organs just as in car.

I have traveled quite a bit, many parents care enough for their children's flight safety that they do use a car seat or other protective device on a plane.

Safe travels!

Archived