How does one choose a Tour Company for Amalfi/Sorrento/Positano?

I have booked a tour of the Amalfi coast for August with italylimousine.com as they were the cheapest (350 Euros for 4 of us) and have good reviews. Its definitely worth negotiating, I got 50 Euros off when I said I had loads of companies to choose from. I'm sure bookings will be down this year due to the recession and expensive euro so they will be fighting for your business. I'd rather then tip the driver a bit more if you get good service.

Yes, we paid the extra (I believe 5,00 euro) for audio headsets. They were better than nothing, but fairly difficult for the two of us to use. It was hard to coordinate the map and the headsets. Other sites (Ephesus, Vatican) we had a private guide and it made a world of difference. Hope this helps.

Thanks. Does anyone else have any feedback on the headsets versus live tour guide issue? We're wondering if it's worth 120 E for a tour guide in Pompeii.

I have to recommend the driver we used this May for our Pompeii and Amalfi Coast tour. The website is sorrentotopcar.com. The owners name is Guiseppe and he was WONDERFUL. We made many photo stops along the Amalfi Coast, we saw Sorrento, Amalfi and had lunch in Ravello. The lunch was at a Mom and Pop restaurant where Pop served and Mom cooked. WONDERFUL.

I would highly recommend a guide for Pompeii. We did not use one and did not believe we received the most of the experience. Pompeii is huge. We did not realize there were multiple exits and we were 20 minutes late meeting our group. (There was a total of 6 of us). Guiseppe was very worried about traffic and meeting our ship. He called several of his tour guide friends and believed we would be back on time. We did make the ship with almost 20 minutes to spare. I had the Carnival port information, but thank goodness I did not need it.

Hi! We are thinking about bookign with Guiseppe for our Amalfi tour. Just wondering how was his English? Was he easy to understand?:) Thanks.

We have just returned from a cruise to the Med. and while in Naples we used Salvatore Lucibello with ************************. Our driver was Roberto and we could not have asked for a better tour or driver. Our tour included the Amalfi coast including Pompeii with a licensed guide (additional charge) and lunch in a beautiful setting overlooking the Med. sea. We returned to the ship an hour before departure. I HIGHLY recommend driveamalfi.

We have just returned from a cruise to the Med. and while in Naples we used Salvatore Lucibello with ************************. Our driver was Roberto and we could not have asked for a better tour or driver. Our tour included the Amalfi coast including Pompeii with a licensed guide (additional charge) and lunch in a beautiful setting overlooking the Med. sea. We returned to the ship an hour before departure. I HIGHLY recommend driveamalfi.

Which ship were you on?

We visited the Amalfi Coast last month and used Marcello from See Sorrento. He was fabulous. He didn't stop talking for 8 hours and he took us off the beaten track to a small medieval village for the Best Italian Meal ever. I think the bonus with seesorrento is that Marcello does the tours himself- with the other companies I'm not sure if there's any guarantee about which driver you'll get. He gave us great advice, like doing Pompeii last, which meant no queues & we were close to the ship at the end and had a lot less chance of getting stuck on the one (skinny) Amalfi Coast road - I just read about a disaster which some passengers missed their ship because of a 5 hour holdup on the Amalfi Coast Road. I highly recommend Marcello!

--- Sounds silly, but I am terrified of twisty, windy roads... HOWEVER, I will "suck it up" to see Positano.. I will just take Bonine so I don't get sick and perhaps close my eyes (some of the time)... My question is this.. Was Marcello careful in his driving or was he like "typical" drivers and zoomed around the corners? That is a big concern of mine. I don't want to spend a picturesque drive terrified out of my mind !

Thanks

Tory

Most of the companies will do a similar itinerary, so from that aspect, it doesn't matter who you choose. However, the personality of the driver/guide DOES, indeed, make a difference.

I used Francesco Marrapese (dot com) because of the wonderful reports on his personality. He is funny, easy-going, kind, and his main concern is the client. He is an excellent driver -- very careful and very patient. His reputation has been built on his patience. When in traffic, you'd want to be in his care. He blows everything off and doesn't get flustered.

After our trip with him, I recommended him to my niece and she had the same things to say about him. Lovely man, all around.

At least one of the other drivers is very impatient and puts himself and his desires ahead of the client - i.e., "you are wasting my time by wanting to stop for a shop".... NOT to my liking at all.

I hope you choose a great driver! The Amalfi coast is a beautiful place to visit. :)

Most of the companies will do a similar itinerary, so from that aspect, it doesn't matter who you choose. However, the personality of the driver/guide DOES, indeed, make a difference.

I used Francesco Marrapese (dot com) because of the wonderful reports on his personality. He is funny, easy-going, kind, and his main concern is the client. He is an excellent driver -- very careful and very patient. His reputation has been built on his patience. When in traffic, you'd want to be in his care. He blows everything off and doesn't get flustered.

After our trip with him, I recommended him to my niece and she had the same things to say about him. Lovely man, all around.

At least one of the other drivers is very impatient and puts himself and his desires ahead of the client - i.e., "you are wasting my time by wanting to stop for a shop".... NOT to my liking at all.

I hope you choose a great driver! The Amalfi coast is a beautiful place to visit. :)

Yikes! Are you saying a driver from Franceco Marrapese's company is impatient or are you referring to a driver from another company?

Has anyone used APTours or SorrentoLimo who can give me some personal feedback on these tours? Thanks!

We (family of four) just got back from 7 days on Voyager of the Seas. We booked AP Tours for a private tour of Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento and were very pleased. It was pleasant and efficient dealing with Sarah. Aldo, our driver/guide, was upbeat and friendly, answering all our questions about everything from about where pine nuts come from to rally driving on the Amalfi coast road, with a few recipes thrown in. AP also arranged for an excellent private guide at Pompeii (additional charge is 110Eu). To make the most of your time (most of which will be in the hot sun), don't do it any other way. We agreed to Sarah's suggestion to go back to the ship by ferry from Sorrento and it was great. Aldo helped us buy the tickets and explained just where to go. He also helped us order a great picnic lunch which we ate at the park overlooking the bay. There may be other excellent companies for the Naples area but we have no reservations in recommending AP Tours to you.

We (family of four) just got back from 7 days on Voyager of the Seas. We booked AP Tours for a private tour of Pompeii, Positano and Sorrento and were very pleased. It was pleasant and efficient dealing with Sarah. Aldo, our driver/guide, was upbeat and friendly, answering all our questions about everything from about where pine nuts come from to rally driving on the Amalfi coast road, with a few recipes thrown in. AP also arranged for an excellent private guide at Pompeii (additional charge is 110Eu). To make the most of your time (most of which will be in the hot sun), don't do it any other way. We agreed to Sarah's suggestion to go back to the ship by ferry from Sorrento and it was great. Aldo helped us buy the tickets and explained just where to go. He also helped us order a great picnic lunch which we ate at the park overlooking the bay. There may be other excellent companies for the Naples area but we have no reservations in recommending AP Tours to you.

It is always good to hear from others who have had a good experience with APTours - - especially since I have been recommending them to everyone !!!!! We are looking at another Med cruise that luckily will go to Naples again (only port we will repeat) and will use them again !!!!!

We just got back from a Med cruise, and we used Francesco. By far this was our best day. We are a family of 5: 22 and 21 year old daughters, 16 year old son, my husband and myself.

We were interested in seeing a lemon grove, and Francesco took us to the Villa Massa (?) grove, where a young man gave us a tour, while Francesco interpreted. It was not a regular touristy tour. We all got to taste different kinds of lemoncello.

He set up a good guide for us at Pompeii, which went well. We got there by 8:30 when it opened and spent two hours there before it got too hot.

He is very entertaining, and he gave up going to the Spain/Italy Euro cup (he showed us his ticket) because I had set this up with him a year in advance and he did not want to dissappoint us.

My daughter and I are afraid of heights, and we never felt uncomfortable on the amalfi coast with Francesco driving.

We had a wonderful day.

I could not agree more. He is easy going and so nice to be with. He was by far the best guide we have ever had. The perfect balance of giving information and chatting and giving you time to soak it all in.

He is a very patient driver and I felt very safe with him at the wheel.

Your tour will be completely customized by you - not him.

Honestly, I can't say enough good things about him

by the way...he's good looking as well ;)

You were happy with the tour you received from Francesco, I have him booked for our tour of the Amalfi Coast.

What town was your favorite, where did you stop to eat??

I was thinking about bypassing Pompeii and just doing the towns around the Amalfi Coast, what is your opinion??

Can you give me any tips or don't miss.

Thank you.

We found Pompeii fascinating.

We only went to Sorrento and Positano, due to the time stopped for the lemon grove. We ate in Sorrento, and had a great seafood appetizer. We did not have too much time for shopping, but that was fine with us.

We had to see Pompeii in the afternoon on our tour because it was closed that morning. So it was very very VERY hot - and because of that I wish we had not gone. It was also our last day....and we had seen our share of ruins by then.

We only had time to go to Positano and Sorrento because we wanted to save some time for Pompeii. We spent about an hour in each. Francesco lives in Sorrento so he will find you a great restaurant based on what you want. Some people from the cruise went all the way to Amalfi and gave up Pompeii. They loved Amalfi.

We stopped a few times along the way to take photos and we also bought some wonderful fruit at a farm stand.

Don't miss that - we brought home some dried spices - wish we had gotten more.

Also don't miss Positano - so gorgeous!!!!

Tough decisions.

We just returned from the June 15th Carnival Freedom sailing, and used the services of Salvatore Lucibello for our Cruise Critic group of five. He was absolutely wonderful. We started with our drive down the Amalfi coast, with several stops for pictures and shopping. We had lunch at a fabulous restaurant on a hillside in Pontone (near Ravello), San Giovanni. Then a mountain drive to Herculaneum where Salvatore arranged a guide for us (Franco), who was worth every penny. We made it back to the ship with time to spare.

Archived