Yay! Upsale to an SS from a VE

Barek

Yay! The Upsale Fairy visited! Okay, so she's not as fancy or as attractive as her sister, the Upgrade Fairy - but we're still thrilled by the visit!

We tried looking into doing an upsale earlier, but the idea fell apart when HAL's first offer was retracted, and remaining options cost more than we could accept (see: http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=783258)

But today, we received an urgent message from our travel agent ... she had called HAL for us this morning, and an option to move up from our original VE to an SS was available, and the upsale price was manageable this time! Yay! We're now on deck 8, next to the elevator - but our VE was also next to an elevator, so that wasn't an issue for us.

The only negative that I can see is that we're no longer on the port side (which we wanted for the glacier viewing day); but that's a very minor thing - everyone says that the ship turns enough for both sides to see anyway. I think the plusses of the move more than outweigh it, so we're now looking forward to the cruise more than ever! :D Thank you HAL! And thank you to our wonderful travel agent too!!!

Congratulations on your upsell.

We were on the starboard side for a change. The captain actually kept the starboard side of the ship facing Majorie Glacier a long time - over an hour!!

Wow! Thanks for letting us know! :)

Changing from Port to Starboard was our only minor negative - and from what you posted, it sounds like it won't even be an issue. So it's an all-around happy day! :D

I meant to post this FYI, for others who had thought about trying for an upsell ... ASK YOUR TA TO CHECK!!! That's what we had done two weeks ago, but we couldn't get one that we could afford at the time ... lucky for us, our TA was still looking into it for us (and we used an online TA ... so it doesn't need to be a local TA to get good service ... it just takes a good TA who cares enough to put in the extra effort).

It likely won't work on every cruise, I suspect it just depends on what the cruise line needs and what they have available - I think we just lucked out by being in the right place at the right time. But even if you're past final payment, and even if your cruise is showing sold out (ours has been showing no cabins available for about a week now) - if you're seriously interested in an upsell, ask your TA to check for you.

My best guess (I've been known to be wrong, many times) is that they needed our VE for one of the VH guarantees that they had been running on special for new-bookings-only just before they began showing no more cabins available. By using the upsell, they get a slight bit more revenue, the VH guarantee still gets a VE, and we get an SS at a reduced rate ... a win for everyone!

Congratulation on your Upsell:) You are absolutely going to LOVE that SS cabin. Now here is my secret, you are much better off with the Starboard side when going to Glacier Bay in my opinion;) . To me the fun part is going out on the Bow when you get to Marjorie Glacier. It gives you that up front close feeling plus the the excitement and grins from you fellow cruisers makes it really exciting. So we spend the first half of the time out on the bow, then about the time that they turn the ship for the Starboard side to see you can head inside make a stop at the Lido for some goodies and even some Hot Coco then go to you cabin and sit out on your large verandah and enjoy the rest of the show of the glaciers from the comfort of your cabin.:D

Congratulation on your Upsell:) You are absolutely going to LOVE that SS cabin. Now here is my secret, you are much better off with the Starboard side when going to Glacier Bay in my opinion;) . To me the fun part is going out on the Bow when you get to Marjorie Glacier. It gives you that up front close feeling plus the the excitement and grins from you fellow cruisers makes it really exciting. So we spend the first half of the time out on the bow, then about the time that they turn the ship for the Starboard side to see you can head inside make a stop at the Lido for some goodies and even some Hot Coco then go to you cabin and sit out on your large verandah and enjoy the rest of the show of the glaciers from the comfort of your cabin.:D

Thanks for the tip - we'll try that! We had planned to go out on the bow while in Glacier Bay at some point; now we know how/when to time it! :)

Archived