Airfare to Barcelona?

Any pointers on where to look for air transportation to Barcelona? We are considering a Med cruise this Nov if the figures are good. The cheapest I have found is $1193 total for two people...this price seems very good but just wanted to make sure I had checked every option before I book. Thanks.

Total for 2? I'd take it if its the days you want to travel. Tuesdays seem to be the cheapest.

We paid $960 for 1 ticket and that is the lowest we have seen (out of Atlanta, direct). It was ATL-Madrid, BCN-JFK-ATL (no non-stops to Atlanta in October). BCN roundtrip was a few $$ more. We used FF miles for the other ticket.

As the others have said - that sounds very good. If you don't want to chance it, you might want to book.

For comparison, we're traveling: BOS <-> BCN

We booked our mid-July cruise in mid May. We were required to take care of our own air. Just happens, this gets us traveling at peak time for Europe air fares. After 2 weeks of watching, waiting, and hoping, . . . Iberia had a 3 day sale end of May and we ended up getting tickets for $700pp. The sale was suppose to last for 3 days, . . . but I booked the first morning and then noticed 4 hours later most of the lowest fare seats were booked. Prices were back up in the $1000pp range. There are $100s-pp in taxes (believe our was close to $350) - so there is a limit on how low these can go. Each carrier and connections effect this.

Other options, air consolidators (eg: travelation.com, airgorilla.com) or, better yet, a multi site search engine (eg: shermanstravel.com) where it will search all well known and not so well known sites. Only caution - some of this list not so good connections. You need to look at the airports - eg: sometimes it will have you fly through a city (London, Paris, etc.) but in/out of different airports. Doable, but a royal pain you know where.

I found first thing Tuesday/Wednesday mornings were the best times to search. All that said, <$600pp is pretty good - especially with turmoil in the air industry right now. Very hard to predict where air fares are going to go.

Good luck - enjoy.

Wer paid $1000 non-stop r/t from Philly on US Air, but we booked with Spanair and it was $150 less per person than US Air for the exact same flight! So, always check the partners of the airlines for better deals, in this case Star Alliance.

You might want to check directly on Aer Lingus ''s web site. They run flights from JFK, Boston, Dulles (we took this flight), Chicago and LA to Barcelona. The flights do stop in Dublin where you must change flights. The round trip flights in November are about $810 (it varies slightly depending on the day). This fare includes all the taxes. When we flew Aer Lingus from Dulles this past December, we were very pleased with the flight and service. And there is a good advantage to this route if you have some time. Aer Lingus allows you to stop-over in Dublin for up to 30 days with no extra charge. As long as you continue onto Barcelona within the 30 days period, you get to keep the higher transatlantic luggage limits (2 - 50 pound bags per person free). Of course you should check with them to make sure the policies have not changed since last December.

Hank

I would not call this a "deal" since Aer Lingus charges these fares on a regular basis for all their flights. They do not play the price games that we see on other airlines. For the past couple of years Aer Lingus (the Irish national airline) has remodeled itself into a discount airline (but they do serve free food) in order to better compete with Ryanair which is also headquartered at Dublin. For some reason, Aer Lingus's flights do not always show-up when you use certain popular booking engines (I assume its because they will not pay fees or commissions). Another nice thing about Aer Lingus is that they fly to many many European cities (via Dublin), all at reasonable prices. We really love their free stop-over policy and would not miss an opportunity to also visit Ireland. In fact, in December we simply took a local bus from the airport into town (Dublin) for a few Euros where we enjoyed this economically booming city (Ireland has done better under the Euro than any other European country). We also like Aer Lingus because their one-way prices are half their round trip, and it works for our transatlantic cruises (we take two a year).

Hank

I'm on the Voyager to the Med in Oct. I live in Ocean City, Md and driving to Philiadelphia (2 hours away). Philly to Paris and Paris to Barcelona $1028 for 2 people roundtrip! I could not pass up that up! :)

Debbie

We are traveling with BIL and SIL-they are meeting us in Amsterdam after flying from Newark in Nov. EWR-AMS-BCN, VCE-AMS-EWR and they paid $886 pp on NW/KLM. Seems like you got a good price. We paid $849 PP from the midwest on NW/KLM.

I'm on the Voyager to the Med in Oct. I live in Ocean City, Md and driving to Philiadelphia (2 hours away). Philly to Paris and Paris to Barcelona $1028 for 2 people roundtrip! I could not pass up that up! :)

Debbie

WOW. That is an exellent price. I leave in NJ and we're flying out of Philly 10/31 and I'm quite sure our airfare was at least $900pp and that's with a group of 75.

I'd have to agree with the suggestion of Aer Lingus. For our September TA, we paid $446 per person out of JFK to Barcelona via Dublin. We're taking an inexpensive Jet Blue flight to JFK. The cost for this flight was between $300 to $900 less than any other carrier I found. By transiting through Dublin, where everyone speaks English, we also avoided some of the more chaotic European airports that the other carriers use.

I usually like to book non stop flights when I can, but the price of this flight was too good to pass up.

Mary

My friend and I paid around $750pp for a direct flight from Newark to Barcelona but these were purchased back in February when we booked the cruise. Just for kicks I checked the price a few days ago and the same flights are now over $300pp more.

I paid $600 p.p. direct flights JFK to Barcelona, for my November cruise. I am pleased with the flight. I didnt want a lay-over, the last time we almost missed our connector. We are staying one night in Barcelona before our cruise.

Dorene

For my cruise last October I used a travel consolidator, www.bt-store.com for my tickets and got them for about $799 each on British Airways.

Our flights were Boston to Heathrow to Barcelona.

The price was about $300 cheaper than what BA was charging but with consolidator fares, they are very restrictive.

Archived