Best beach to snorkle?

rxnrn

We will be renting a car on each of the islands next week, and will be heading to the beaches to snorkle. Our tentative plans are Hapuna state park and a-bay(Kona), Kaanapali(Maui), and Kee beach(Kauai). We are looking for the best spots in relatively shallow water. Any info on your experiences would be helpful. We are thinking about using Snorkle Bobs for the equipment. Has anyone had experience with them? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The best place I have been for easy beach snorkeling in Hawaii is Black Rock in front of the Sheraton on Kaanapali Beach in Maui. We have used Snorkel Bobs many times and have always had a good experience.

Hello...

I'll be near Black Rock in October and I just learned to snorkle in Tahiti recently. I can't believe what I've missed all of these years. I love it!

I've heard that you can see sea turtles near Black Rock. If so, how far out do you need to swim to see them? I'm just an average swimmer and feel comfortable in shallow water or perhaps 1/4 mile out, but in very deep water I feel a little out of my league.

Do you, or anyone else, know if it's possible to hire an instructor to go out with you to get a little further out?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

murphysmum;)

Turtles are hit and miss. Sometimes you are lucky enough to see them sometimes not. Patience is the key. We were at Poipu in April and the turtles were everywhere, just swimming right through the middle of people. Amazing. Fun to watch the snorkelers scream through their snorkels:D .

Black Rock is nice and easy, but can be a little crowded. The beach there is very fun.

Kee is ok but Tunnels is way better. Tons of turtles there.

Murphys mom, you would be better off just going on a snorkel cruise if you want someone to help you.

We stayed at the Sheraton for 10 days and never saw a turtle there. Heard the whales though;)

Hi...

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll sign up for one of the snorkle trips to Molikini and Turtle Town. Somehow I thought you had to be more advanced for those tours, but it sounds like I'd be fine...and have advice available if I need it.

I'll be at Black Rock every day, so perhaps I'll get lucky there as well.

Aloha...

murphysmum;)

Hi...

Thanks for the helpful information. I'll sign up for one of the snorkle trips to Molikini and Turtle Town. Somehow I thought you had to be more advanced for those tours, but it sounds like I'd be fine...and have advice available if I need it.

I'll be at Black Rock every day, so perhaps I'll get lucky there as well.

Aloha...

murphysmum;)

Not at all. In fact, the organized snorkel boat excursions can be easier for beginners because there is crew to help you. They almost always have "floatie" devices to help those who need them. There's usually at least one crew member right in the water with you for assistance. (Caveat: There are excursions that are better suited for experienced snorkelers, but those are ones that will tell you so right up front. Almost all of the excursions that members here are talking about are great for beginners/novices.)

Snorkeling off the beaches can be more challenging for beginners because you have to figure out how to get out there, how to put on your fins while partway in the water or how to "walk" in while wearing fins (this is not recommended for most people), how to adjust your gear while at the same time pushing out into the water and watching where you're going and feeling the currents. The incoming waves can push you back or splash up and surprise you. Don't let this scare you off though. Just watch the conditions and/or ask someone to show you the easiest way to enter the water. Black Rock is super easy for even first-time snorkelers. It's an easy entry with decent conditions almost all the time.

beachchick

Maui-Black Rock good. Molokini better.

Kona - if you can get to Captain Cook's monument, that was the best day snorkeling we found. It was just a different experience.

A-bay is good too. I would recommend a snorkel tour to get to the deep waters, definitely.

We will be renting a car on each of the islands next week, and will be heading to the beaches to snorkle. Our tentative plans are Hapuna state park and a-bay(Kona), Kaanapali(Maui), and Kee beach(Kauai). We are looking for the best spots in relatively shallow water. Any info on your experiences would be helpful. We are thinking about using Snorkle Bobs for the equipment. Has anyone had experience with them? Thanks in advance for suggestions.

The very best snorkel beach in Kona is Kahaluu Beach Park. It is 5 1/2 miles south of Kailua Kona on Alii Drive. Easy parking, easy snorkeling. It is shallow. Sometimes you will swim with the big green sea turtles, or you will see the turtles sunning themselves on the black rocks. The life guards are there more to keep people away from bothering the turtles while they sun themselves as this is a very safe beach. ( of course they keep an eye out to sea as well.) You can sit on the rocks in the water and put your swim fins on, then just walk into the ocean. My daughter learned how to snorkel at this beach when she was very young. Be sure to buy an underwater camera, you will use it up... so many beautiful fish as well as the turtles.:)

Hello...

Beach Chick...Thanks for the advice about getting into the water. I've only snorkled in a protected reef area so no problem walking in...no waves. I just realized how many times I've been knocked off my feet at Black Rock and I have some new skills to learn.

Thanks to the other posters as well. I won't be on the big island this time, but I've made a note for future Hawaii trips.

I will be in Kauai/Hanalei next spring. I know there are big waves in the winter, but does anyone know if it gets calm enough to snorkle in the spring or summer?

Thanks for all of your advice.

Aloha and Mahalo...

murphysmum;)

Depending on the surf conditions, Black rock can have a pretty strong beach break, so you will want to be careful when entering the water.

Poipu beach can have a tricky entry on the side where the snorkeling is good. Just please remember not to stand on, or touch the reef. It will kill the coral.

Boat trips are fun and you do not have to worry about someone stealing your stuff off the beach. ;)

Hanalei is like a lake in the summer....Great for renting paddle boards.

I am a snorkel fanatic. I just love to snorkel. I think I should have been born a fish. I have snorkeled practically everywhere. The best snorkeling I have ever seen is at the place of refuge near Kona. Lots of turtles when we were there in December and the different colors of the coral was great.

OP-I think your choices are great. Have a great trip.

The very best snorkel beach in Kona is Kahaluu Beach Park. It is 5 1/2 miles south of Kailua Kona on Alii Drive. Easy parking, easy snorkeling. It is shallow. Sometimes you will swim with the big green sea turtles, or you will see the turtles sunning themselves on the black rocks. The life guards are there more to keep people away from bothering the turtles while they sun themselves as this is a very safe beach. ( of course they keep an eye out to sea as well.) You can sit on the rocks in the water and put your swim fins on, then just walk into the ocean. My daughter learned how to snorkel at this beach when she was very young. Be sure to buy an underwater camera, you will use it up... so many beautiful fish as well as the turtles.:)

For kids and beginners (or anyone who doesn't want to fuss with renting a car or taking a boat excursion), Kahalu'u is great. For others (including us), Honaunau Bay (off the beach/lava shelf) and Kealakekua Bay (accessible by boat or kayak only) are tops for the BI. A-Bay and Hapuna are also good on the BI. Honaunau (by Place of Refuge, see below) is one of our favorites for all of the islands.

I am a snorkel fanatic. I just love to snorkel. I think I should have been born a fish. I have snorkeled practically everywhere. The best snorkeling I have ever seen is at the place of refuge near Kona. Lots of turtles when we were there in December and the different colors of the coral was great.

OP-I think your choices are great. Have a great trip.

beachchick

Murphy'smon, you can always do what I do: I take my $1.99 bright yellow noodle with me ALWAYS. It weighs nothing, wraps around easily in my suitcase and provides a cushion for luggage tossing, rolls up in my beach bag and gives me security to swim out with the big boys. :)

This comes from a person who ued to scream when my ponytail washed in front of my goggles. The added bonus is waverunners can spot me and so can my friends. When I'm done snorkling I use it as a lounger in the water and people always ask where I got it!

Oh, and we swam with the giant turtles at Black Rock and Slaughterhouse beach. The turtles were out around the point.

I found Hawaiian waters much rougher and colder than the Caribbean.

[quote name=murphysmum;15034773

I will be in Kauai/Hanalei next spring. I know there are big waves in the winter' date=' but does anyone know if it gets calm enough to snorkle in the spring or summer

Aloha and Mahalo...

murphysmum;)[/quote]

In the summer Kee beach is like glass, perfect for snorkeling, or just floating on a raft. I have been there in November also and it is much rougher.

By mid-May, beaches around Hanalei and north should be great. The Tunnels was the place to go for snorkeling. I don't know if it has recovered from the Hurricane Iki yet. It used to be the BEST in whole Hawaii. It's worth checking out. The interesting area for snorkeling would be toward the north end of the beach. Don't bother with Kee if you are a serious snorkeler. It is a pretty beach, though.

There are some pretty snorkeling beaches below the Princeville Hotel - Hideaways and Puu Poa Beach. It's a steep trek down, but it's secluded and the views of the Hanalei Bay and the Valley is breathtaking from there.

The Place of Refuge is good in Kailua Kona, but Kahaluu Beach Park is a great place for beginners or families with small children. It can get quite crowded.

On Maui the best snorkeling we saw was at Honolua (we just got back). The entrance is somewhat rocky, although there is a sandy bottom just to the left of the old boat ramp that goes out about 25 feet or so. Honolua was glassy when the rest of Maui's water was thrashed by trades. Black Rock was 4th on our list of shore snorkeling these last two weeks behind Kapalua and Honokeana.

• 2 weeks later...

Kahaluu has an extremely strong rip running North from just off saint Peters Church- it kicks in when the surf gets about waist to shoulder high. The lifeguards are there to keep snorkelers out of the rip current and inside the surf when it's breaking. They just are on duty year round, so when the surf is flat they seem to be there sitting idle. I lived and surfed there for years before the surf schools took the place over. When the surf at Kahaluu reaches about head high that rip runs super fast and even the surfers and neighbors spend some time dragging people out of the water.

It's not actually their job to keep people away from the turtles. But some of them do mention it to people.

I never snorkel there- Kealakekua bay is hands down a superior trip, if you have the time and want to spend the money.

Kahaluu - stay inside the man-made breakwater that's protecting the beach park, then you should be perfectly safe. Sometimes, especially in winter, the beach is closed due to weather. If you see a red flag, stay out of water.

I agree with those that said in Kona Kahaluu Beach Park is the best. We did this twice since it was close to our hotel. We then signed up for the Molokini excursion when we were on the ship and were disappointed...saw the same fish, just less of them - on the excursion. The coral was nicer at Molokini though - and the water much deeper.

So we used our rental car and saw the fish and turtles at Kahaul'u basically for free - vs. the $350.00 our family spent for the Molokini excursion. If I were to do it again, I would have eliminated the Molokini excursion and taken the Captain Cook one also in Kona. (Doing Kahalu'u and Captain Cook - if days allowed). We had a week there plus the ship day.

Archived