Mystery Dinner on 1st Night?

debt

When I was finally able to get to the online reservation page on the RCL website, I checked out the mystery dinner to see what day it would be on. It shows the dinner will be held on embarkation day/night. Has anyone else seen this happen? It seems a bit odd to hold it on the first night.

I've never seen that happen on the first night and agree that it seems odd. Most people want to try the dining room the first night and meet their tablemates if they have requested such tables. Persoanlly I wouldn't want to try a Mystery Theater the first night.

Same here. I'm flying in that morning and after a 10 hour flight the only mystery i'll be up for is where my bed is so I can take a nap!

How do you find out about the dinner? Is it on all ship? How much is it? How do you make reservations?

I belive it's on all ships that have a Portofino's on board. You can find out info and make a reservation at the RCL website, in the dining section. You can also make reservations on board if you don't want to pay in advance.

Debt, when are you going? You can only make reservations a week or 2 before sailing (if I read that correctly) for specialty rest...that might just be showing you that there is a mystery dinner on your sailing but I believe that there is a sign up on board at Portofino's so I can't imagine it is the sail away night...

We got home yesterday from Freedom and the Mystery dinner was on the 1st night. It started at 7 in the Olive and Twist lounge and ended around 10 at Portofino. We enjoyed it but probably wouldn't do it again. My menu is still packed but as I remember the choices were soup or salad, garlic shrimp or filet and Tiramasu for dessert.

There is only one justification I can think of for having the mystery Theater the first night of the cruise. If Portofino is so popular the other nights and the first night is typically the slowest of the cruise, then taking up space for the Mystery Theater game wouldn't be such an issue the first night. However, I still think demand for Mystery Theater seats would be especially small on the first night of a cruise. People have too much else they need to attend to the first night unless they are the most veteran of cruisers.

It was the first night on on Oct 06 cruise and both my Jan 07 cruises. My upcoming Hawaiian cruise has it on two different nights. the first is the thrid sea day going and the second is one of the port days. I chose the 29 Sep one.

Debt, when are you going? You can only make reservations a week or 2 before sailing (if I read that correctly) for specialty rest...that might just be showing you that there is a mystery dinner on your sailing but I believe that there is a sign up on board at Portofino's so I can't imagine it is the sail away night...

I'm sailing on November 6 from Southhampton. I think you might want to check the RCL site again. I have confirmed reservations for Portofino's on Nov 16. They have had occasional problems with their website when they've added addtional ships to specialty restaurants, but it eventually sorts itself out to where you can actually use the website. I double checked this morning and it still shows the mystery dinner on Nov 6 at 7PM.

Archived