Calling SE/Central AK Experts

TeeBuccs

DH and I are planning our return to our favorite vacation spot - Alaska in August 2009. We are both youthful late 30's and fairly active types. We will be doing a 7-day Northbound Inside Passage cruise followed by 5 days independent land. Last time we did a cruise we did a post-cruise RCI land tour, but this time I would prefer to have the independence to do things ourselves.

Which leads me to questions. I think we would like to stay in the SE/Central area and trying to decide the best plan of action. The ship disembarks in Whiittier and ultimately our last night will be in ANC (our home base) for our return flight home. Now, what to do in between day 8 and 13?

We both love wildlife viewing, sport fishing, rafting, not too strenuous hiking, good eats, and things along those lines. My iniitial thought is that I would like to spend at least two nights in Homer area where we can fish (anyone know any good charters?) and maybe do a bear watch tour with Mountain Air vs. trying to spot them in Juneau or other ports. Thoughts?

What other areas should we be sure to hit or overnight at for activities and wildlife viewing during these land based days? I believe we will get transportation from Whittier direct to ANC and then just rent a car there (roundtrip return) for the remaining days. Also, in Whiitier should we get off of one ship and immediately board another boat to do the Kenai Fjords trip? Is it really worth the 6-9 hours before heading inland?

Any advice would be most helpful. Thanks!

Kenai Fjords cruises are out of Seward, not Whittier. In Whittier, you could go on a 6-hour Prince WIlliam Sound boat cruise, then take the evening train to Anchorage. You could also rent a car from Avis in Whittier, and drive directly to Seward for a few days, then Homer for a few days, and then return to Anchorage to fly home. If you can possibly add any more days to your land trip, you won't regret it.

With 5 days, I would go 3 in Homer and 2 in Seward, if you get the bear watching set up. This would also assume an overnight flight home.

Absolutely for your wildlife priority, a Kenai Fjords boat tour out of Seward is a must do, needing at least 6 hours on the water. Both ports are loaded with fishing charters to consider, along with the Kenai River/Russian River out of Cooper Landing. Depending on your fishing priority,you could do one night there, and fit in your rafting too.

Although there are never any guarantees, where is our best chance for bear viewing first week of August? We have been there only in May - so this is new time of year for us and I am not as sure of the best options.

The cruise hits the usual suspects:

• Ketchikan
  • Juneau
  • Skagway
  • Sitka

And the of coure wherever we hit land wise (Homer, Seward, etc..)

We did Pack Creek last May with tremendous luck! Understand in August that is not the preferred location though. Should we spend $$ on bear excursion out of Juneau or Ketchikan or wait until in Homer area with Mtn. Air and Kenai area???

As for fishing...we've done king salmon, now we want Halibut!!! I've also heard something about great moose viewing opportunities in Soldotna area, is that correct?

Thanks!!!

I suggest you contact operators directly for the bear viewing timeframes.

Out of Ketchikan the bear season is from about the first week of July, into Sept. but these are mostly always black bears.

For halibut, Homer is definately the place. Yes, moose can be seen, but just as likely not. Hope for the best. :)

Archived