To those that will keep cruising how do you plan to save $$

Saving Dollars $USD is not as easy as it sounds.

But by application of normal saving methods helps immensely..

With Carnival Cruise Lines..< HOLLAND AMERICA LINES, CUNARD, PRINCESS< etc..etc.. all of them,.... many vehicles abound to help save YOU MONEY and TIME.

Not just the Price Basis of your Cruise on any of its Cruise Lines either.

One perfect example is::::

Buying and holding the Common Stock you attain a very nice Shareholder Benefit . You must have at least One Hundred Shares of these shares in Certificate Form and/or held in Safe Keeping at your Broker and/or Broker/Dealer and/or Bank. They do have another plan to make those shares expand in number of shares held too. Thats a DRIP Plan..DIVIDEND Re Investment Plan.

CCL :NYSE on the NEW YORK STOCK EXCHANGE and CUK NYSE: LSE LONDON STOCK EXCHANGE are the COMMONS STOCK Symbols for Carnival.

Each time a Shareholder takes/Books Passage they recieve a Shareholder Benefit of an OBC ( On Board Credit) Length of time reprents more dollars with the longer Durations.

RCL :NYSE Royal Caribbean Lines has this also and there Dollar Amount of an OBC is more...:mad:

You should ask Carnival when they are going to raise there OBC for Shareholders too(((?)))

Ask your Travel Agent, Stock Broker, Personal Banker, Advisor and/or Carnival Shareholder Relations in Miami, Florida about this for YOUR OWN Benefit..:cool:

SAVE then RAVE!:cool:

RCL :NYSE Royal Caribbean Lines has this also and there Dollar Amount of an OBC is more...:mad:

You should ask Carnival when they are going to raise there OBC for Shareholders too(((?)))!:cool:

I get $100 on either Carnival/Princess on a 7 day cruise, same as on RCL.

I get $50 for my 4/5/ day cruises on Carnival, the same as I got on RCL.

There may be a particular point break in days where one is different, but unless you are mostly taking very long cruises, i cant see where it makes any $$$$ difference. Why should Carnival raise their OBC??

Buying stock in a company that is dependent on the price of oil to make money is at best risky in this time. Spending thousands of dollars to buy stock with oil going out of sight, might not be the smartest thing to do unless you cruise a lot.

For me, my car is paid off and well maintained, but older. I wanted a new one and it is certainly time for one, but I'm not buying. Travel is so important to me I would rather drive my older car and use the money to cruise and take other trips. So for me, that is how I will cut back and still be able to do it. Worth it to me...imho. :)

My wife and I are retirees in our mid-60s. So far we have done some long-range planning defensively.

We booked a trans-Atlantic on the Emerald Princess a year and a half in advance (because it had all the ports we wanted), saw the balcony price drop; booked and paid for our BWI-VCE flight as soon as it was possible and saved a bundle on the tickets.

Another trip we wanted to take was to Brazil. So we booked on the Carnival Splendor to Buenos Aires, including Carnival air (we'll see how they wiggle out of that price commitment!). Booked an inside this time.

This week I booked a Baltic cruise on the Liberty. We were early enough to get a 5A with portholes. A bit larger than inside, but more light). We'll buy our flights as soon as it becomes possible, monitoring now price fluctuations.

This is quite a bit of traveling within a year. Yes, and we are not wealthy people. But these are places we want to see, some for the first time, others for return visits. We believe that high prices are here to stay and these are bargains that won't be repeated. Air in particular will be a killer. Also, as temporary visitors on this planet we have no guarantees about tomorrow.

Looking far beyond horizon, we want to do Hawaii one of these days. But in general we will be patronizing cruises originating from cities within driving distance. If the price and destination are appealing, it doesn't matter which line it is. Sure, quality and format vary. But we are yet to have a bad cruise.

We own Carnival stock, we get not only dividends but credit. And in the future we'll try to book early enough to reserve a porthole cabin. They are the best deal, much better than obsctructed view. Yes, there may be some motion issues but we were in a balcony cabin that far front on the Noordam. In rough weather the whole ship rocked. Didn't bother us any.

I think you need to ask a and/or a Financial Professional or even a CPA or PA then.

Both companies have a Dividend also and now at the current level (price) they offer a very nice rate of return too.

Not just the Added benefits of OBC.

Dividends receive a much lower rate of taxation than interest does now.

If you as a shareholder choose not to use the Tax Advantaged Dividends to ReInvest (DRIP) then use this to save more money to go on cruises.. choices do abound...

A DSPP (Direct Stock Purchase Plan) is great as well..:cool:

Hope this helped you to see more clearly.... asking your broker or b/d more would benefit you and your travel clients which book through you and your firm.. With that knowledge they would come to you to book there cruises...:eek: Oh no more commissions... eeeeh gad...;)

OK.... maybe it's just me but your post is all over the place and makes no sense. All I am getting out of it is the suggestion to purchase cruiseline stock for OBC ???

Ha Ha dont laugh saving all my change really helps. At the end of the week I dump my pocketbook into a jar. You will be surprised at how the money grows.

I do the same thing. Last cruise I rolled my change and had an extra $400.00 to spend. You should have seen my husband sitting there with his mouth hanging open:eek: when he saw all that money.

I also do it in my checking account ....round everything to an even dollar and wala more money.

You have to look more as RCL has a much Larger US Dollar OBC reward...

RCL has 2x what CCL / CUK (all NYSE )have.

If you only take short trips I guess you do receive the min. but what would you expect the max?

Both Cruise lines have sibling lines too some are sail. As well the International cruises are finally expanding much much more then the main N.American area now.

Having other currencies too is a benefit as in any business or do you just work with the USD$ . Thats like only having one type of sugar and/or flour...

On your curt question on CCL OBC...

A simple answer is:: Why not be at par?

Oh by the way oil is not going out of sight... it is a simple business principle of Supply-Demand.. Economics 101..eh..

It is like Diamonds were and are they made themselves very valuable through marketing and usage increased...

Having a Stock in a company is an Investment and with the aforementioned ones RCL, CCL and CUK they each pay a nice TAX Advantaged Dividend and give all Shareholders of only a Hundred shares a very nice return as well other benefits such as one OBC.:eek:

I get $100 on either Carnival/Princess on a 7 day cruise, same as on RCL.

I get $50 for my 4/5/ day cruises on Carnival, the same as I got on RCL.

There may be a particular point break in days where one is different, but unless you are mostly taking very long cruises, i cant see where it makes any $$$$ difference. Why should Carnival raise their OBC??

Buying stock in a company that is dependent on the price of oil to make money is at best risky in this time. Spending thousands of dollars to buy stock with oil going out of sight, might not be the smartest thing to do unless you cruise a lot.

We are fortunate that we live in ft lauderdale so do not have to hassle with flying to ports, but one of the ways we will be saving money is something we just did and that was switch from RCL to Carnival. We just booked a November cruise on Carnival Liberty. First we found an unbelieveable rate of $699 for a balcony cabin on Liberty vs Freedom of the seas which was $1000 for the same balcony cabin, same itinerary and same dates Our TA gaves us $100 off our cabin and a 4 catergory upgrade. . By the time we were done we saved $450 between the two and that includes all taxes, fuel charges and gratuities.

We really like RCL but not for $450 more. The savings is better in our pockets. We will no longer buy art at the auctions which we do from time to time. For us it is looking for the best deal which has a good itinerary on a good ship. We believe we found all of that with Liberty. What I found funny is we are platinum members with RCL also booked a next cruise which gave us $100 OBC and our TA pays for the gratuities and Carnival still came out $450 less. It was a no brainer to switch and you know we will still have a great time.

Hope this helped you to see more clearly.... asking your broker or b/d more would benefit you and your travel clients which book through you and your firm.. With that knowledge they would come to you to book there cruises...:eek: Oh no more commissions... eeeeh gad...;)

I was referring to your original post being so broken up, and fragamented that it was not understandable.

I own enough shares to qualify for the shareholders benefits, but certainly would not suggest to a client to purchase just for the OBC perks or dividends... I am a travel professional not a stock broker or accountant, but do know how to manage my stocks very well thank you. And for you to state that having this wealth of knowledge that you feel I am not aware of would cause clients to book with our office... Thanks for your priceless, idiotic suggestion ! :D

You have to look more as RCL has a much Larger US Dollar OBC reward...

RCL has 2x what CCL / CUK (all NYSE )have.

If you only take short trips I guess you do receive the min. but what would you expect the max?

Both Cruise lines have sibling lines too some are sail. As well the International cruises are finally expanding much much more then the main N.American area now.

Having other currencies too is a benefit as in any business or do you just work with the USD$ . Thats like only having one type of sugar and/or flour...

On your curt question on CCL OBC...

A simple answer is:: Why not be at par?

Oh by the way oil is not going out of sight... it is a simple business principle of Supply-Demand.. Economics 101..eh..

It is like Diamonds were and are they made themselves very valuable through marketing and usage increased...

Having a Stock in a company is an Investment and with the aforementioned ones RCL, CCL and CUK they each pay a nice TAX Advantaged Dividend and give all Shareholders of only a Hundred shares a very nice return as well other benefits such as one OBC.:eek:

If you are buying stocks just for the OBC that is a mistake unless you cruise quite a bit. If you buy 100 shares that is $4000 and a $100 OBC is just not worth it. Buy the stock because you believe it will rise do not buy a stock just for the OBC ask any stock broker and they will tell you the same thing. Buying any stock is a risk, the obc is nice but to tie up that much money to get an obc which you can get from most TA's to me is risky in these times.

We are taking a regular land vacation this summer :( instead of a cruise because our cruising partners could never decide if they wanted to go. I know that this land vacation is going to cost us alot more than a cruise would. Eight hundred dollars in room and fuel cost alone. Add in eating and entertainment and the cost is going to skyrocket. I think cruise is the most affordable vacation for what you get. When is the last time you took a vacation inland in a First class hotel with first class meals, entertainment, and destinations for seven hundred dollars a person for a 7 days. Never I assume.

I've cut out the Starbuck's and am saving a HUGE amount ...

$4.75 x 2 = $9.50 plus tip(s) =$12 a day ... That's $60 a week I'm saving ...:eek:

$300 a month that I'm now sticking into the "Vacation Fund" at the Credit Union instead of 'doling it out to Starbuck's' ...

I was totally bowled over when I did the math on the amount I was spending on coffee 5 days a week ... Over the years, of 'imbibing' I probably could have bought my own Oceanliner ... lol ...:rolleyes:

While all the suggestions are good for saving to keep cruising, they are for the most part, all methods I have been doing for years.

It never seeks to amaze me how frivolous with money people in general are UNTIL times get tough.... think of the $$$ that could have been saved if you had followed your now thrifty concepts, years ago !

I couldn't agree more! I am also very conservative. When I hear that people spend more on their sign and sail cards than I spent for the whole trip, I'm amazed.

Here are some everyday ways to save money that might not be obvious:

-Drive the speed limit, or even lower - It really does make a HUGE difference. I've been especially cautious on this tank of gas and have gotten 400 miles out of it when I have in the past received under 300. Imagine if everyone could increase their mileage by this much. Also look into biking to work, carpooling, or public transit. Less cars on the road means those that are will travel with less traffic. Less polution too - everyone wins!

-Take lunch to work - This will save $5-10 a day, easily enough over the course of the year to pay for a cruise.

-Save and reuse - For example, don't throw away that bread bag when you are done with it - throw a sandwich in it for work. This is a very small thing, but it is one less bag in the dump, and it adds up if you do it all the time. Also, (while we are on recycling) recycle your used grocery store bags at the store, or use reusable ones.

For on the ship:

-Book interior cabins - you should only be there for sleeping (which is great in a dark room) and changing.

-Don't pay more for specialty restaurants. Dining room food is usually great. I don't see the point in paying $10-$40 out of pocket for a meal that may or may not be better (based on reviews I've read).

-Don't buy photos. Use your nifty digital camera and have some of your new friends take a photo or two of your group from a couple different areas on the ship. When you get home, go to a Kodak picture maker and make your own for 1/10th of the cost.

-Curb alcohol expenses. Really - do you have to drink all day and night?

-Gamble smart - I suppose I lived in Vegas for 3.5 years, but even before that I spent some time in the bookstore looking at basic strategy for games I wanted to play. I'm amazed by the number of people at the tables that split 10s or don't hit a 13 against a dealer 10 in blackjack, and bet gobs of money on the long shots on the craps table. If you read about the percentages, you can still gamble on the ship, but you will be smarter about it and more likely to win (or at least lose less).

I'm sorry if this list offends anyone - certainly, if you either can't enjoy yourself without some of these things and/or you have enough money for it to not matter, then so be it. Your happiness (as long as you are responsible) is the most important thing. Happy cruising!

We booked the Liberty for 2010 last week before the fuel charge went up.

Booked balcony guarantee, (booked aft last cruise, more $ and DH didn't like it).

Booked early...if price goes up I do not pay the increase....if the price goes down I get OBC:D

If I have to cancel:( I get deposit back before final payment

Also maybe win $500.00 on Bingo again (which I brought home with me and put down as the deposit for the Liberty)!

We have cut our cruises down to 1 a year instead of 2. Unfortunately, we did a jr suite this year. I loved it. I am saving ahead to pay for it again for next year. I loved the VIP boarding. Maybe the one after will go back to balcony. Airfare is just so crazy right now. We can't drive to Florida. May try Baltimore once they start there. It will be something different. I try and buy carnival dollars so have that ahead for next year. Not giving up my cruise for vacation. Still cheaper than going to a resort.

I noticed your location is Cranston, If you don't mind what state?

We have cut our cruises down to 1 a year instead of 2. Unfortunately, we did a jr suite this year. I loved it. I am saving ahead to pay for it again for next year. I loved the VIP boarding. Maybe the one after will go back to balcony. Airfare is just so crazy right now. We can't drive to Florida. May try Baltimore once they start there. It will be something different. I try and buy carnival dollars so have that ahead for next year. Not giving up my cruise for vacation. Still cheaper than going to a resort.

You are right about that. I get e-mail notices from a place that we used to stay at when we would go to the beach. The price for one week was $1349! You can go on a cruise for that price and just about everything is included and someone is there to wait on your every need. You just can't beat the price of a cruise when you compare to other activities.

My husband and I quit smoking in 2002 we saved the money normally spent on cigs and placed in a jar with our change. We purchased our cruise and still had close to 3000 to take with us. We took it drove to Miami stayed in a too expensive hotel in my opinion and still came back with more money.

Since becoming unemployed in 2006 we have not been able to save on one income and all the medical expenses I have had but I will be starting a new job on the 23rd of June and I plan on "Purchasing" cigerettes each payday at the todays rate and placing that in the fund for vacation. This is something that to this day when I get stressed I want to have but couldn't afford it so I am actually afraid that if I have the extra money I will want to buy. So I will tape a picture of the cruise ship in the vehicle, on the piggy bank, in my office space and put my money in a better place instead of killing myself.

I've cut out the Starbuck's and am saving a HUGE amount ...

$4.75 x 2 = $9.50 plus tip(s) =$12 a day ... That's $60 a week I'm saving ...:eek:

$300 a month that I'm now sticking into the "Vacation Fund" at the Credit Union instead of 'doling it out to Starbuck's' ...

I was totally bowled over when I did the math on the amount I was spending on coffee 5 days a week ... Over the years, of 'imbibing' I probably could have bought my own Oceanliner ... lol ...:rolleyes:

Well you are certainly a hefty tipper at approx. 26% tip per cup of coffee !!!

Also, glad to see you are being thrifty to cut back on that coffe expense but the #'s don't add up to $300.00 per month !

But you are correct that if folks will cut back on some of the daily :::perks::: they have grown accustomed to, they will still be able to take that dream vacation beit a cruise or land based holiday event ! Good Job ! :D

Sorry if what I said in American English was not loquacious palaver.

I never said you were a stock broker and/or CPA/PA... Yes your a Travel Agent, I believe.

Having only One Hundred shares is great as it is an investment as well allows you and any Shareholder the additional each cruise benefit mentioned besides the normal ones.

What I was pointing towards and to as a constructive addition for your and your clients mutual benefit was...

Your having the knowledge, then ability to convey the added option would increase your rate of adding a larger client base. Isn't that what any commission business man wants?

Then you insult me?

I was referring to your original post being so broken up, and fragamented that it was not understandable.

I own enough shares to qualify for the shareholders benefits, but certainly would not suggest to a client to purchase just for the OBC perks or dividends... I am a travel professional not a stock broker or accountant, but do know how to manage my stocks very well thank you. And for you to state that having this wealth of knowledge that you feel I am not aware of would cause clients to book with our office... Thanks for your priceless, idiotic suggestion ! :D

Archived