Please sell me on Holland

evenpar4me

Why is TA trying to switch you?

Which ship?

Don't know anything about your likes/dislikes so impossible to say if Holland America Line is the cruise line for you.

More info would make it easier to help. :)

Two totally different atmospheres...

Carnival is a party boat.

Holland is a more sedate elegent line.

If you have to be sold to move you are making a bad decision. You need to want to try Holland out.

Just some advise

Ruth & Jim

Have to agree with others so far.

The only things that Carnival and Holland America have in common is they oth float and they are both owned by the same parent corporation! Beyond that they are two completly different cruising experiences!

Both lines are good at the passenger demographic they serve....you have to decide what you expect and want out of cruise then make your decisions to which one is best.

We have cruised on both. We had a great seven day cruise in the Caribbean on Carnival. Would we take the 36 day Panama/Amazon cruise we have scheduled for Sept on Carnival? Not a chance...we're on HAL because it is a better cruise experience for that kind of itinerary!

Hope you find the line for you and have a great cruise!

We are getting ready to take our first HAL cruise in September, but we have cruised several times on Celebrity and Princess, which from I understand are very compatable to HAL.

But... we have also cruised on Carnival on two different occasions, and if I had my choice... I would never cruise Carnival again. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't what I wanted for our vacation.

As several have said... it's a much younger crowd, which tends to be a little... well... you know :D.

Travel agent is trying to switch ne over from Carnival to Holland VS cat.please help.have heard good reviews

Be careful. Your TA might be trying to switch you because her agency is having a special Holland America promotion right now and she gets a larger commission for booking people on Holland America.

No one should "sell" you on squat. Only you can be the judge as to whether you will likely enjoy your HAL cruise or not.

Read as many reviews as you can get your hands on. Read these message boards. And, ask loads of questions about the onboard life. See if HAL's style meshes with your own. If you think it does, then I would imagine you'll love your HAL cruise and probably won't want to ever go back to Carnival. But if you don't think HAL is for you, then don't waste your precious vacation dollars just because a TA may have an ulterior motive for wanting to get you to try something different.

Blue skies ...

--rita

But... we have also cruised on Carnival on two different occasions, and if I had my choice... I would never cruise Carnival again. Not that it was bad, it just wasn't what I wanted for our vacation.

As several have said... it's a much younger crowd, which tends to be a little... well... you know :D.

Why is it I'm getting more and more concerned about this four-day Paradise cruise I have coming up?

I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending the better part of my time sequestered in my cabin ... cause I am just not the booze cruise type. :(

Thank God this Carnival cruise was so cheap ... otherwise, I'd be crying about now. Cause I have a feeling I made one BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG mistake. :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

DH and I enjoyed our Carnival cruise, but we avoided the crowded and rowdy places. We spent more time in more deserted deck spaces to find some quiet time.

All cruise lines have their positives... and negatives. We have simply found that, for us, Carnival cruises are too lively for our vacation style. We are more likely to enjoy a snooze on the Promenade. On land, we enjoy a quiet drive through the mountain scenery. We want to get away from it all, but it seems Carnival wants cruisers to "do it all." We've never tried RCI, but in reading comments on these forums, I'm not sure it would be a good fit for us... for similar reasons.

Travel agent is trying to switch ne over from Carnival to Holland VS cat.please help.have heard good reviews

It would be helpful to know why your travel agent is trying to get you to try HAL instead of Carnival. Then, people who sail on HAL can better answer your question.

Why is it I'm getting more and more concerned about this four-day Paradise cruise I have coming up?

I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending the better part of my time sequestered in my cabin ... cause I am just not the booze cruise type

Don't despair!!! We have a friend who is very refined, enjoys the finer things in life, and probably has not "overindulged" in alcohol in 30 years. He is very happy with Carnival, has no desire to try HAL (despite my glowing reports), and simply avoids areas that have a lot of loud children. He quickly discovers where the "drinkers" are once on board, and avoids the one or two spots they tend to congregate. He's got another Carnival cruise booked, and will likely continue to cruise Carnival, as hs is always happy with his cruises.

We have only cruised on HAL and we love it and can't compare to any other line, except for what I hear from friends. My sister & her husband normally go RCL and tried HAL once (they are in their 40's) and thought it was too sedate for them. Then they tried Carnival and said they would never go back, too rowdy. So I guess they are back with RCL. As others have said, depends on what you want out of cruises. We go on cruises to relax and get away from everything. If we want to do something, we will, if not they don't bother you or insist that you participate. Good luck on making a decision that is right for you.

They are under the same ownership.

IMHO, start with deciding where you want to go. Then research who goes there. Then consider price, generally. Then consider age groups that travel on that line/ship. You will now have some reality and data to make some decisions and more indepth research.

We like to try different lines and then decide for ourselves what we like and what seems comfortable.

Truthfully, after trying numerous lines our 2 fail safe choices are HAL and Princess

Have not tried Carnival

It is all very subjective

We think it is boring to do the same line over and over, we will probably try something new in 2009

If you want a new experience book the HAL, otherwise go with your tried and true

I have cruised Carnival, RCI and HAL. HAL is by far my favorite. The food is very good, the service incredible. I had sworn off cruise vacations, this past May my father and I cruised with HAL on an Alaskan cruise. I will now cruise again, but probably only with HAL.

My first cruise was on Carnival, I was 42 and wanted just a short cruise to Mexico. We had a good time, and enjoyed the cruise. Carnival does after all still advertise themselves as "The Fun Ship".

My next cruise was HAL to Alaska Inside Passage. What a difference. We were on the "old" Noordam, smaller ship. The ambiance of an ocean liner of old making a voyage. Lots of wood, brass and fresh flowers everywhere. Teakwood promenade deck that goes completely around the ship, with teakwood deck chairs for watching the glaciers or ocean go by. Everyone on board is so friendly, not just your cabin attendant or dining room waiter, everywhere you go onboard you get a smile and a good morning or good evening. The beds are the best out there. The cabin size is just a bit larger than I've found on other ships. Just an overall classy feel to the ship.

I then sailed NCL (didn't care for their freestyle dining). Then RCCL (big mistake on an immersion cruise out of San Juan). Then Celebrity Constellation (lots of similarities to HAL). At 60 back to HAL for an Alaska/Yukon cruisetour, and overall my favorite line is HAL.

So it depends on what you are looking for. If you want fast paced non-stop entertainment, surfriders, rock walls, bowling, shopping arcades, Johnny Rockets, then HAL may not be for you. If you want an elegant, upscale cruise with evening shows, friendly atmosphere for dinner meeting new people, karaoke at the bar, with interesting and varied itineraries, then give HAL a try and see what you think.

They are under the same ownership.[/Quote]

Same ownership, yes ... but different operational management.

IMHO, start with deciding where you want to go. Then research who goes there. Then consider price, generally. Then consider age groups that travel on that line/ship. You will now have some reality and data to make some decisions and more indepth research.

In addition to the itinerary, price, and age group factors, also consider the "style" of cruise that you're looking for. As has already been mentioned, HAL HAS a somewhat more sedate and "refined" atmosphere. Or, at least, they portray themselves as having such ... and, to a large extent, they succeed. There are always, of course, exceptions. I don't fit the nominal "age-demographic" for the line, and I certainly didn't when I stared cruising with HAL in 1994. However, I have always loved the quieter, calmer, more genteel experience that HAL offers.

Two of my half-sisters sailed with us once. They were late 20s/early 30s at the time. Their forward facing cabin was below the Bridge. Above that is the Crow's Nest. Their only problem with the cruise was that the music from the Crow's Nest kept them awake at night. Other than that, they loved the HAL experience. One of them later selected HAL for her honeymoon.

I've taken over 30 Carnival Cruises and really love to cruise with Carnival. I'm not the party animal type, but I like Carnival because it has many people partying in the clubs and bars, which leaves the outdoor decks uncrowded and quiet for me. In August 2008 I'll be taking my first HAL cruise. I love to relax for hours watching the scenery. I do like dancing clubs, but not the exagerated "inappropriate" dancing I've seen on a few Carnival cruises.

My concern is not fitting in because I'm not very much into upscale things. I like simple things and do not need to be pampered, though I do enjoy some pampering. I'm a teacher that works with inner city kids and work with many people who's income is at poverty level. I fit in very well with those families. Many parents say they like me because I don't talk down to their children, but see them as equals. I'm very flexible and treat everyone with respect. But do I have to wear the latest fashions to fit in on HAL, or would casual clothes and one formal suit be sufficient?

Cruiserkid,

Please don't worry, you'll fit in fine. While I usually enjoy formal nights, and really "do it up" my last HAL cruise this past April was a girlfriends getaway with the sole purpose being relaxation. We only ate in the dining room once, we ate in the Lido or got room service the rest of the time. Either way we had a wonderful time on our HAL cruises. While the experience is a little more sedate, a little quieter, HAL cruisers are overall not snobs. I think you'll love it and I look forward to your posts when you return. Have a wonderful cruise!

I'm very flexible and treat everyone with respect.
To me this is the hallmark of a HAL cruiser. You'll fit in.

But do I have to wear the latest fashions to fit in on HAL, or would casual clothes and one formal suit be sufficient?
Casual is a wide open area. T-shirts and shorts are perfectly fine during the day, In the dining room at night - no. To me night-time casual is Dockers and a collared shirt. Some men will wear sports coats, but that is entirely up to the wearer. Latest fashions - nah.

I'm very flexible and treat everyone with respect

You'll be very comfortable on HAL, then!

As to fashions, don't feel you need the latest and greatest... we've always found HAL cruisers to be pretty subdued in their clothing. I've never (except one day, on one cruise) seen any conspicuous consumption or crowing about income, cost of cameras, value of houses, etc.

Archived