Please sell me on Holland

evenpar4me

Cruiserkid,

You're quite welcome. I had to chuckle at your worry about not having the latest fashions - I'm totally an llbean, Eddie Bauer, Land's End type person and in no way consider myself fashionable. I have never felt out of place on a HAL ship. If I don't choose to go to formal night I just go to the Lido and maybe take a stroll around the promenade deck, then go back to my room and read or watch a movie. Very relaxing. We have seen everything from tiaras down to a woman (wonderful person) having a cocktail in the Crow's nest in her (wonderful) HAL robe. She was on her way back to her cabin after getting the full treatment in the spa and salon and decided she wanted a drink. You never know what you will see, even on HAL! ;)

Susan

Just wanted to chime in and say that I like both Carnival and HAL :eek:

It really depends what you want from the vacation - particularly entertainment wise. If you want to have a lot of activities after the dinner hour, HAL doesn't have as much going on as some of the other lines.

Also, if you're traveling with a lot of younger folks (like teenagers or college kids) they may appreciate the "fun ship" atmosphere more than the sedate yet elegant ocean liner feel of HAL.

Just my opinion - I'm not knocking HAL's entertainment choices (we loved the live music for cocktail hour & the shows were very good) I'm just saying that there seem to be more choices on other lines.

But then again, if the company you keep is entertaining enough, who needs midnight kareoke?

I'm with John. I have no opinion on the categories since we have only done SYs and SSs, but lots of our friends cruise Carnival and HAL is head and shoulders above Carnival in almost all categories. Have a look at the Cruise Critic reviews of each line.

CruiserKid,

I am teacher as well and help children who come from hard family backgrounds. I know exactly what you mean.

I think that if you are just looking for relaxation, you will like HAL. It is not pompous at all. I saw more designer clothing, etc. on Celebrity's Century. The attitude of the passengers is great other than your occasional grumpy type attitude that you can find anywhere you go in the world....... not a HAL issue. The people are just regular people.

Have a great cruise!

Rabbitlady

Archived