Waterproof Digital Camera

I'm beginning to do my search for a new digital camera and was leaning toward the cannon powershot, but figured since I will be doing water excursions, I want to be able to take nice pics underwater. Not to mention having to worry about leaving my camera while I'm in the water. So, any recommendations for a good/reasonably priced camera that will take nice pics in and out of water? I know I've seen this thread but can't seem to find it. If anybody does please post the link. Thanks

Do a search for Canon Powershot Waterproof case.

These days you can buy a regular digital camera and then just buy a waterproof case for it. See here: http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=StandardDisplayAct&fcategoryid=113&keycode=underwater_photo

I'm in no way a camera expert, but it seems that this way you could have the camera you want and it would be waterproof too.

Hope that helps :)

I'm beginning to do my search for a new digital camera and was leaning toward the cannon powershot, but figured since I will be doing water excursions, I want to be able to take nice pics underwater. Not to mention having to worry about leaving my camera while I'm in the water. So, any recommendations for a good/reasonably priced camera that will take nice pics in and out of water? I know I've seen this thread but can't seem to find it. If anybody does please post the link. Thanks

I have this one and it's great;)

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1314

I'm beginning to do my search for a new digital camera and was leaning toward the cannon power shot, but figured since I will be doing water excursions, I want to be able to take nice pics underwater. Not to mention having to worry about leaving my camera while I'm in the water. So, any recommendations for a good/reasonably priced camera that will take nice pics in and out of water? I know I've seen this thread but can't seem to find it. If anybody does please post the link. Thanks

Try this link: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

Lots of good info from knowledgeable members.

HTH

jerry

I purchased a Vivitar Vivicam 6200 this year. It's a 6 megapixel, waterproof, 4x digital zoom. It's listed for 399, but I paid 98 with shipping and a smart card from buy dot com. I still brought my fancier camera and used this for snorkeling but really didn't have to, it took great photos.

Thanks, Kel

Went to the website and read the specs. Incredible little camera for 3 beans ! ! I liked all the features. Manufacturer's reputation is beyond reproach, also. Did I say what a great price ! ! :D

The only negative, FOR ME, is the specialized manufacturer's battery, which requires camera to be down when battery is being charged (unless I missed something). Its probably a very good battery, but I prefer to be able to hot switchup (2) 2As while charging (4) 2As in my cabin and even worse case, be able to purchase regular 2As almost anywhere.

Sorry, if I seem too critical . . . just pi$$y about guaranteeing I'll NEVER be without power to operate my cameras. :)

I'm really cheap...or is that frugal?!?! LOL Anyway, I have a very nice Kodak digital camera that I take everywhere. However, it is not waterproof. I don't know how much water activities you do or how often but me, it's not that often. So, for a few bucks I bought a few Kodak waterproof one use cameras. The pictures are not my good camera quality, but for underwater shots they do quite well. And they were under 10 bucks at Walmart, I don't have to take my good camera on a catamaryn (sp?) and if someone steals it or if it falls overboard, no great loss. Well, except for the pix of course. LOL

I'm really cheap...or is that frugal?!?! LOL Anyway, I have a very nice Kodak digital camera that I take everywhere. However, it is not waterproof. I don't know how much water activities you do or how often but me, it's not that often. So, for a few bucks I bought a few Kodak waterproof one use cameras. The pictures are not my good camera quality, but for underwater shots they do quite well. And they were under 10 bucks at Walmart, I don't have to take my good camera on a catamaryn (sp?) and if someone steals it or if it falls overboard, no great loss. Well, except for the pix of course. LOL

Olympus sells a float strap for their SW line of waterproof cameras that can cinch up around your arm. It will fit most any camera. It is bright red for visibility and will keep your camera afloat if you happen to drop it into the ocean. Be sure to wear it to muster drill. It will look really cool with that bright orange formal pool party vest.

Thanks, Kel

Went to the website and read the specs. Incredible little camera for 3 beans ! ! I liked all the features. Manufacturer's reputation is beyond reproach, also. Did I say what a great price ! ! :D

The only negative, FOR ME, is the specialized manufacturer's battery, which requires camera to be down when battery is being charged (unless I missed something). Its probably a very good battery, but I prefer to be able to hot switchup (2) 2As while charging (4) 2As in my cabin and even worse case, be able to purchase regular 2As almost anywhere.

Sorry, if I seem too critical . . . just pi$$y about guaranteeing I'll NEVER be without power to operate my cameras. :)

LOL Gary.. I have never had to charge the battery since I bought it 8mths ago:eek::p

LOL Gary.. I have never had to charge the battery since I bought it 8mths ago:eek::p

LOL . . . only 220 (manufacturer estimate per battery charge) pics in 8 months ! ! :confused: In my SSR truck club, I'll easily take 400-500 pics at an event. The same for a port visit sometimes. :)

Great pics by the way ! ! ;)

LOL . . . only 220 (manufacturer estimate per battery charge) pics in 8 months ! ! :confused: In my SSR truck club, I'll easily take 400-500 pics at an event. The same for a port visit sometimes. :)

Great pics by the way ! ! ;)

I took 400 plus pics on our Jan cruise.. plus other pictures so I would questimate I have taken around 600-700 since I got it;) I just must be lucky.. (knock on wood) !!

I purchased my Stylus 790SW for my wife as a gift to be used on our first cruise aboard the Conquest this past April. I chose the camera solely based on the waterproof feature. While on the the cruise, we took a snorkeling trip and took the waterproof camera with us. I had read the manual and knew that the camera was only waterproof to 3 meters/ 10 feet. The camera never went more that an arms length underwater. However, during the snorkeling trip, I received an error that instructed me to remove the card and wipe with a clean cloth. At that point, I turned the camera off and waited until I was on dry land. I then opened the camera and followed the instructions to remove and dry the card. I reinserted the card and received the same error. This particular card had all of our un-replaceable photos. When we returned home, I attempted to recover the photos with several downloadable retrieval programs. When that did not work, I sent the XD card to a data retrieval company in California and their engineer told me that when he removed the Ram chip from the XD card, "It was fried." Just be advised that even if you follow all of the directions, Olympus apparently has an engineering / manufacturing flaw and you pictures could just be memories.

:)

Thanks, Kel

Sorry, if I seem too critical . . . just pi$$y about guaranteeing I'll NEVER be without power to operate my cameras.

You can get extra batteries and keep them charged for the Olympus' with the battery packs. You can find 2-packs on e-bay for less than $15. We use 2 1030 SW's in our business and we have at least 8 spare batteries around here. We like the Olympus SW's because we get caught out in the rain alot and you would not believe how often these cameras get dropped. I wish Blackberry made waterproof phones, as we have had 2 bite it in a water filled ditch in the past year. :)

:)

You can get extra batteries and keep them charged for the Olympus' with the battery packs. You can find 2-packs on e-bay for less than $15. We use 2 1030 SW's in our business and we have at least 8 spare batteries around here. We like the Olympus SW's because we get caught out in the rain alot and you would not believe how often these cameras get dropped. I wish Blackberry made waterproof phones, as we have had 2 bite it in a water filled ditch in the past year. :)

I took 400 plus pics on our Jan cruise.. plus other pictures so I would questimate I have taken around 600-700 since I got it;) I just must be lucky.. (knock on wood) !!

Had no idea, the manufacturer's batteries could be removed and charged and that they were that inexpensive. :eek:

The only thing worse than an "old fart" is a dumb "old fart". :rolleyes:

I yield . . . :D

I purchased my Stylus 790SW for my wife as a gift to be used on our first cruise aboard the Conquest this past April. I chose the camera solely based on the waterproof feature. While on the the cruise, we took a snorkeling trip and took the waterproof camera with us. I had read the manual and knew that the camera was only waterproof to 3 meters/ 10 feet. The camera never went more that an arms length underwater. However, during the snorkeling trip, I received an error that instructed me to remove the card and wipe with a clean cloth. At that point, I turned the camera off and waited until I was on dry land. I then opened the camera and followed the instructions to remove and dry the card. I reinserted the card and received the same error. This particular card had all of our un-replaceable photos. When we returned home, I attempted to recover the photos with several downloadable retrieval programs. When that did not work, I sent the XD card to a data retrieval company in California and their engineer told me that when he removed the Ram chip from the XD card, "It was fried." Just be advised that even if you follow all of the directions, Olympus apparently has an engineering / manufacturing flaw and you pictures could just be memories.

Interesting.. I guess it is like any product you buy.. some do have flaws.. I have had no issue with mine so far.. (knock on wood) again..

Sorry for your loss:(

Had no idea, the manufacturer's batteries could be removed and charged and that they were that inexpensive. :eek:

The only thing worse than an "old fart" is a dumb "old fart". :rolleyes:

I yield . . . :D

LOL now now Gary don't be saying that.. remember the saying you learn something new everyday eh!!!:p

Archived