Unbeliveably rude people

Garjud

While I am sorry the people you encountered on the elevator were rude, don't let this one incident ruin your cruise or keep you or your husband from cruising again. Rude people are everywhere; it's at epidemic proportions. We live in a very selfish society, where parents exert little to no control over their kids or themselves. But there are a lot of good adults and kids out there as well - I like to think that us "good" people still out number the bad ones!

With that said, I have encountered many rude and agressive disabled people as well, who will run you down to get onto an elevator. Rude people, I have come to learn , come in all shapes and sizes. It's a part of life I don't particularly like, but I deal with it the best I can. I won't let rude individuals ruin my vacation, and you shouldn't either. I have a hunch you probably came across many nice people around you as well.

I have such a hard time understanding why perfectly healthy people have to take an elevator for 1 or 2 flights of stairs. Why are some cruisers so lazy?

I wish they would have a handicap ONLY elevator that has to be accessed with an approved seapass, so cruisers who have no other way of getting to another deck do not have to ruin a otherwise great vacation.

Absolutely agree. My son and I took the stairs MOST of the time. I set a limit that was 8 flights. If I had to go more than 8, then I took the elevator. Most of the time, my son was waiting for me when I got off - I think I only beat him when the elevator came immediately. If the truth be told, most of us would be far better off if we DID take the stairs. Seems like "overeaters anonymous" these days! Hmmm. Maybe they should make ALL the elevators "handicapped ONLY"!! ;)

Sorry you were cruising with such slugs. Hopefully your next one will be better!!

Just off the Serenade. We were on the elevator one evening going down several floors from 12 to 5. Normally we take the stairs, but my parents are unable to walk more than a flight up and only a couple of flights down, so we rode with them. When we stopped on the 10th floor, a very nice lady and her husband were attempting to get on. The husband was in a wheelchair. I stepped off the elevator and let them inside as the elevators on the Serenade are very narrow. The two entered and were able to get turned around facing the door without too much trouble as it was just the 6 of us in the elevator. We stopped at a few other floors and it amazes me how everyone tries to jump in the elevator without seeing if anyone is getting off first. There was really no more room for anyone, so we told them it was full and practically had to push them out. OK, we get to the 5th floor and the doors open. I walk out and start to hold the door opened for the lady and her husband when 4 people started to crowd into the elevator. I put my arm out and told them to wait because this couple was getting out along with my parents and DH. Their response was, "Oh, we didn't see the man in the wheelchair". In other words, they were going to jump in before seeing if anyone was getting off first.:mad:

Some people think that the word holiday means that they are on vacation from common decency and respect for others.

Isn't it terrible that this happens. I've also read where some parents decide that since it's also their vacation also they don't need to 'parent' their kids and let them run wild while on board.

Don't let this one incident ruin your husbands love for cruising. I hope your next sailing is the best one yet!

I put my arm out and told them to wait because this couple was getting out along with my parents and DH[/QUOT

Good for you!Maybe the next time they will stop and think.at the very least I hope they were completely embarrassed.

Years ago I had foot surgery and went on a cruise a couple of days later. We did not get off the ship during the cruise as I was in too much pain. One evening there was a crowd of people standing in the doorway of the dining room just chatting. I wanted to get to my seat to get off my foot so I asked them please to take a step forward as I had such a bad foot. Naturally they refused to move so I made sure that I hit a lot of ankles with my cane as I walked through. If they could be rude - so could I!

Several years ago we were in the emergency room, with one of our children, and had the misfortune of having to share this space with some very rude people.

As a very wise doctor was working on our son, he looked at us and said," You know, some people don't have mothers, they just crawled out from under rocks!"

I am sure these rude people came from "Under A Rock!

I hope they are reading these messages right now, don't you!

Love and best wishes, Pat in NC

Growing up, I am so grateful my parents taught and stressed the importance of common decency. You always held the door-any door-for ladies, your elders and especially the disabled. I am so sorry this happened to you and while most fellow cruises and kind and mannerly, there is becoming an alarming number of rude, selfish and unmannered people on cruiseships lately (especially in the last couple of years). I am a great believer in karma and what people "put out" always come back to them--good or bad. None of us know what the future brings--perhaps some of these unthinking individuals may find themselves in a wheelchair one day, or are they so caught up in their selves to even consider that?

I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes. We just got back from a Voyager-class ship after having not cruised RCCL for a number of years. We were shocked at the number of truly low-class people on board. Sloppy men in tank tops with hairy underarms and tatoos all over, etc. It was a much different crowd than we had seen on RCCL before.

Part of the enjoyment of a cruise is the interaction with fellow passengers. We had no desire to interact this time around. Does anyone remember the old RCCL commercials with Lauren Bacall saying, "I need a little Royal Caribbean". Well, RCCL is obviously targeting a different market now with their "Get Out There" commercials. Certainly nothing polite or genteel about it anymore.

We've cruised Celebrity the last few times and I think we'll return to that line or, at least, stick with the Radiance class ships. On the Summit, we saw a woman whose husband was in a wheelchair. From my observation, they were always treated with respect and consideration by the other passengers, whether at the elevators, in the dining room, in the bars or at the shows.

Absolutely agree. My son and I took the stairs MOST of the time. I set a limit that was 8 flights. If I had to go more than 8, then I took the elevator. Most of the time, my son was waiting for me when I got off - I think I only beat him when the elevator came immediately. If the truth be told, most of us would be far better off if we DID take the stairs. Seems like "overeaters anonymous" these days! Hmmm. Maybe they should make ALL the elevators "handicapped ONLY"!! ;)
I fully agree with this we really try hard not to use the eleveator it just isn't worth it. When you think about the calorific value people should really take the stairs unless they have a need to take the lift.
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes. We just got back from a Voyager-class ship after having not cruised RCCL for a number of years. We were shocked at the number of truly low-class people on board. Sloppy men in tank tops with hairy underarms and tatoos all over, etc. It was a much different crowd than we had seen on RCCL before.
I am sad to say I agree with you. RCI are now really geared at mass market cruising and their standards have dropped considerably. I obviously like their product though but fingers crossed for our next cruises as they are longer ones I am hoping the standards will be higher

I took my friend and her 14 year old son (Who uses a power wheelchair) and we CONSISTENTLY had this problem on the Grandeur all week. People would not let him OFF the elevator because they were in too big a hurry to get ON - without having the basic courtesy to let others exit first; and people would almost ALWAYS shove in front of him to get on the elevators. Sometimes we would have to wait for several elevators to arrive so that we could get in one without 12 people rushing in front of him.

(Also, Brandon is a dwarf so it was apparent that here was someone pretty disabled and also a child - no matter.) His mom and I got pretty aggressive at playing Traffic Cop (in a nice way) and getting him in and out of the elevators.

On the plus side, he said it was the most accessible environment he'd ever been in and he had a blast zipping around the ship by himself and he made about 1,000 friends!

You know - I have absolutely NO problem saying to ANYONE standing at the elevator door trying to jump on when it opens - "Hello? Didn't anyone ever teach you to wait for people to get OFF first??? "

If you can't exhibit proper elevator manners, then you have no right to get on. Go take the stairs!!

You know - I have absolutely NO problem saying to ANYONE standing at the elevator door trying to jump on when it opens - "Hello? Didn't anyone ever teach you to wait for people to get OFF first??? "
I did say that once to no person in particular when a group tried to rush on the elevator once before we could get off.

It also irritates me to see well bodied people get on the elevator at one floor and off at the next! Even though my mom has breathing trouble, she can still walk up a flight and down a few without the elevator. There were many younger passengers (40's, 50' and 60's) on our cruise that were perfectly capable of walking, yet used the elevator instead.:mad:

The sad thing is they probably thought nothing of the incident and have since forgotten it. Which means that they will do it again . . . everyday of their lifes.

The way people act on the ship is exactly the same way they act at home.

When it is all said and done . . . God will sort it out.

I do hope you continue to cruise. Most of us are really good people. And I apologize for the rest.

On our first (and only) cruise, my son and I took the stairs everywhere, even up 10 decks (OK, THAT was a little tough for me, but I wasn't about to let a 14-year-old upstart get the better of this 50-year-old upstart). As happysinglemom and savva already said, the exercise was definitely a plus.

Garjud, I'm so very, very sorry you and your husband were subjected to such inexcuseable behavior. I have a feeling that if I had been in that situation I would also have been less than "ladylike" and probably would have stooped to even below their level! I truly hope that he doesn't stop cruising -- there are a lot of very wonderful people out there (just "cruise" this, and other threads, if you have any doubt).

However, as another poster noted, rude people are EVERYWHERE. I've only been on one cruise, but it was everything I hoped it would be -- the other passengers, as far as my own experience went, were polite and appropriately dressed (thankfully I missed out on the overabundance of chest and back hair, and didn't even see a tank top!). Money doesn't buy class or manners, and my guess is that one or two rude people do manage to sneak their way onto even the upscale cruise lines. I'm sticking with RCI for now because the itinerary, date, accommodations, and price (yes, thanks to RCI coupons and a generous T.A.), all worked out for me next June. I'll have saved a year for that trip, and I'm not going to let anyone ruin it for me. I'll just take the stairs to let off steam (and maybe lose a pound in the process!).:)

Laurie

Sadly, manners and respect are a thing of the past. I was on the subway in New York and an elderly man was trying to sit down in the only available seat. A woman no more than 25 years old pushed him out of the way to take the seat for herself. If I hold a door open for someone it is quite rare that they say thank you. Your husbands experience is disgraceful but since it is an isolated experience in his history of cruising he will hopefully overlook it and continue to sail.

How very sad that in this day and age we have such idiots in this world. My Mom & Dad brought me up to respect ALL people. If i were there i would have held the door for you and your husband and made them wait their turn. You have to take it from where it comes. Not saying to much about them, is it? Tell your hubby not to ruin his love of cruising just because you ran into a couple of ignorant people. God Bless :)

~~Debbie~~

[quote name='Lyncruiser']I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but here goes. We just got back from a Voyager-class ship after having not cruised RCCL for a number of years. We were shocked at the number of truly low-class people on board. Sloppy men in tank tops with hairy underarms and tatoos all over, etc. It was a much different crowd than we had seen on RCCL before.

[/QUOTE]

Hmmm, we just booked our first cruise last night. Chose RCCL for a December 2005 Christmas and New Year's Cruise.

Just wondering if the fact that I have body hair is going to label me as low class. Yes, it goes all the way to my underarms...or maybe that is where it starts and moves out from there - eithr way there is plenty to go around and as I start to bald, I have told my wife that I will just do a combover like all of the other older guys - except I will be able to comb over from my shoulders!!!.

Not sure if there is a section on the RCCL website that states what percentage of my body I should cover with clothing given my body hair situation...or can you recommend a good waxing product for me to use prior to boarding?

Also, on the tattoo issue, is there a maximum number of tatoos that would put us in the low-class category or is it generally the size and quality of the tattoo. Is a "mom in a heart" tattoo okay but a dragon head not? Butterfly okay but motorcycle not?

May as well throw in piercings too...as I figure that is likely a problem now that the peasants have been allowed into the kingdom. Should my wife remove all signs of ear piercings or is two still allowed (talking about ears here).

Does all jewelery need to be pearl and diamond and are cubic zirconias easily noticed and siezed by the pursers office for return later? I know my wife will not wear the same dress twice on the sailing but I may wear the same suit to the formal nights...different tie of course and shirt. Is that okay.

We are not bringing a man-servant with us. Will we be out of place?

I am sure that I have several other questions as we get closer to our sailing date and that the others on our sailing will also grill us to see if we fit in - or just ignore us as we beg for money around the pool so that we can pay our final bill. Either way is fine for us as long as we get a chance to pilfer through your belongings when you are not looking at the pool.

Hope that there are a few others on board that do not live in castles and are fairly regular people who go on vacation to unwind and enjoy themselves with their family. Hate the thought of wearing one of those bathing suits that goes from my shoulders to my knees but if that is standard high-class attire, then will try to dig one out of my grampas wardrobe.

If Iwe are found to be low-class, I am certain that they can put us on the lower floors like they did on the Titanic. Maybe throw us a morsel of bread and some water occassionally. And your pity of course.

Hair length or colour, tattoos, body hair....whatever. Get beyond the surface stuff and get to know people. You might be surprised what you have in common with them.

Signing off with tongue firmly planted in cheek...but hopefully making a point.

[quote name='hawt1']Just wondering if the fact that I have body hair is going to label me as low class.[/QUOTE]I was wondering if anyone was going to be insulted by this. I kept my mouth shut (fingers stilled, actually), because I have to believe that the poster wasn't trying to be insulting, and perhaps didn't realize that what she said was derrogatory in any way.

[QUOTE]We are not bringing a man-servant with us. Will we be out of place?[/QUOTE]I agree that anytime people judge others by anything other than their intent, by any values besides those that the person-being-judged personally subscribes to, it will be a messy situation. I find it always best to judge people by how they mean to treat me, not how I decide to interpret their actions or statements. (Of course, I'm not always very good at it!)

Hawt: that was great. I see some people do stereotype on these boards. How many times do I read about Carnival being the PArty ships al though I have never experinced that in any of my cruises.
And on my one RCCL on the Vyager I never encountered those hairy men either.

Here Here!

I was afraid I was going to have to cancel my cruise because of my new tattoo (which is pretty sweet, by the way)...don't have the body hair issue, although I guess I could get a small trim in case I were to offend someone's elitest sensibilities.

Amazing, in a thread about treating people with respect (terrible story, by the way..I'm very sorry), this moron starts talking about "lower class" people on his cruise.

I happen to be from a very middle class family, where both of my parents work very hard, and I also work very hard. And I'm taking my first cruise in a week, to flaunt my tank tops (cut off tee's, actually) and flip flops.

Bicker,

No other way to read it than potentially insulting:

"We were shocked at the number of truly low-class people on board."

Just trying to figure out what class we are in before we get on and find out that we are being snubbed.

FYI...our friends would all consider our family to be upper class in all aspects but many of them have long hair and tattoos and are incredible people and friends who would give their life for us and we in return for them.

That is the true measure of class!!!

my sons now have tattoos. I hope that dont make them lowclass considering my middle one just got done his time in the Marine Corp. I am sure he will let his hair grow too as he is tired of the military crew cuts that he HAD to get for the past 4 years.

Never judge a book by its cover coz ya just never know.

Archived