Unbeliveably rude people

Garjud

and cruise with us to Alaska next June! Your post was fabulous, except for two things: 1) forget the grandpa bathing suit -- I think a speedo is the way to go, and 2) uh...uh...I WILL be wearing the same dress at least twice during the cruise, and will probably wear the same pants on more than one occasion. The best I can promise is that I'll change my underwear every day.

And, in honor of National Tank Top month, not only will I expose my flabby, pale arms for all the world to see, I may even stop shaving under my arms until next June.

OK...I just made myself sick. I think I'll go back to work now.

Respectfully yours,

Laurie

One of the rudess acts I've ever experienced was on a cruise we were on last year. There was a group of about 4 young adults (18-early 20's 2 male/2 female) that we would always see together with one of them in a wheelchair. The thing was, that they seemed to be taking turns as to who was in the wheelchair at any given time. We never saw any evidence that any of the 4 truly had a disability. It appeared to my DW and I that they were using to get to the front of the line. They were the first one's on and off the tenders and were moved to the front of the line for other purposes as well.

To me this is just a slap in the face to those that are truly disabled and deserve our courtesy and respect.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]"If we are found to be low-class, I am certain that they can put us on the lower floors like they did on the Titanic. Maybe throw us a morsel of bread and some water occassionally. And your pity of course.

Hair length or colour, tattoos, body hair....whatever. Get beyond the surface stuff and get to know people. You might be surprised what you have in common with them."[/COLOR]

It sure doesn't take much for people to get offended around here. Sheesh.
I read the post, and I got a visual, and I'm pretty sure I understood the point she was conveying. Tatoos and tanks and an abundance of exposed body hair may be perfectly in synch at the football game, or at a Nascar race, or in a pool hall, or at home for that matter. But I would expect that people try to "spiffy up" their appearance when on a cruise. Nothing wrong with those things, but generally, they are not "highlighted" on an event such as a cruise.
Come on. Lighten up for cryin' out loud.

I just came back from the Explorer of the Sea this past Sunday also. I feel so bad that you had the experience you did. There was a huge group of over 300 people I wont say from where, but they were the rudest group of people I have ever met. All from that group seemed to cause trouble or be ignorant no matter where they were on the ship. From the moment we got on the ship, they 'all' made there presents known. There is some type of justice however, two out of there group were left behind in St Thomas... as there taxi was speeding down the dock port, these two women get out of the taxi, loaded with shopping bags screaming. No change of clothes, no where to stay... the talk around the pool bar was everyone pooling there money together to wire them money to fly to Nassau and meet the ship in two days. Sorry, couldnt help but giggle..............

[quote name='bicker']I fear you may not have helped the situation happysinglemom. :([/QUOTE]

BINGO...

Oh wait, isn't that a low-class game where tank tops and body hair and the like are highlighted...and available on cruises...huh, what a dichotomy.

[quote name='happysinglemom'][COLOR=RoyalBlue
It sure doesn't take much for people to get offended around here. Sheesh.
I read the post, and I got a visual, and I'm pretty sure I understood the point she was conveying. Tatoos and tanks and an abundance of exposed body hair may be perfectly in synch at the football game, or at a Nascar race, or in a pool hall, or at home for that matter. But I would expect that people try to "spiffy up" their appearance when on a cruise. Nothing wrong with those things, but generally, they are not "highlighted" on an event such as a cruise.
Come on. Lighten up for cryin' out loud.[/QUOTE]

Okay happysinglemom, I honestly am completely covered in body hair. No joke at all on this part. What do you suggest I do?

How do I "spiffy up" what God has given me?

Seems to me it might even get windy on a cruise, do I wear enough hairspray so that I look well kept at all times...Would not want to highlight reality!

hawt1 I hope there are lots of people like you on our cruise.It would be so much fun.You might want to borrow your wife's curling iron for formal night.You wouldn't want to look out of place.I'll bet the real low class people the OP was talking about might not have had tattoos,body hair or tank tops.Imagine that!

[quote name='Rustynail'][b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=red]Some people think that the word holiday means that they are on vacation from common decency and respect for others. [/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=#ff0000]Isn't it terrible that this happens. I've also read where some parents decide that since it's also their vacation also they don't need to 'parent' their kids and let them run wild while on board.[/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=#ff0000]Don't let this one incident ruin your husbands love for cruising. I hope your next sailing is the best one yet![/color][/size][/font][/b]
[b][font=Garamond][size=4][color=#ff0000][/color][/size][/font][/b][/QUOTE]
I endorse this message :D

[font=Arial][b][QUOTE] Sadly, manners and respect are a thing of the past. I was on the subway in New York and an elderly man was trying to sit down in the only available seat. [/QUOTE]You can say that again! [/b]
[b]On an excursion with my 70's something parents, we loaded a trolley bus packed with people. As I realized that there were no more seats on the bus, it occurred to me that those without seats had to stand and hold onto leather straps hanging from the ceiling. I knew that my parents would not be able to do this and stand upright. I scanned the seats again and saw many young people, along with several men in their 30's and 40's. Not one single person offered their seat to my parents. I finally spotted an area that looked like it could hold my Dad (he is more unstable than my Mom) so I said in a loud voice "Daddy, you sit here." I was hoping that someone would hear and offer their seat to my Mom. No such luck! As it turned out, the couple that was sitting where I wanted to put my Dad, slid way over and made room for two more. My DH and I along with a few other women stood up for the ride. What ever happened to giving your seat up for a woman and the elderly? Believe it or not, there are still some women out there that appreciate a gentleman's courtesy and will not bite their heads off for their chivalry.:mad: [/b]

[b]Off topic but...as a woman, I prefer not to see the hairy armpits of a man while I am eating. Unfortunately, I saw a few of those in the dining room last week and several in the Windjammer.:rolleyes: Nothing wrong with a hairy man, as long as he dresses nicely for the situation. A hairy man at the pool is OK. I believe this is what the OP was trying to convey. As for tattoo's, I just think it is a shame that someone would want to ruin their beautiful skin that was given to them by GOD. I prefer to wear colorful clothing that I can remove. If a person wishes to have a tattoo, then it is their choice and none of my business. We keep telling our son that he should go into dermatology, specializing in the removal of tattoo's, because someday these young people are going to regret their decisions and will want them removed.;) I cannot count the number of pretty young women I saw on our cruise. 9 out of 10 of them had a tattoo on the small of their back when they turned around. I just don't get it?:confused: [/b]

[b]Garjud - I hope your husband will continue to enjoy cruising and I am sorry to have gotten off the subject on this thread.[/b]
[i][/font][/i]

For the record, I [I]always[/I] have and always will thank anyone who is kind enough to open or hold open a door for me. I think it is a simple gesture of civility. I will also happily open or hold open a door for someone else (man, woman, child--doesn't matter to me; it's just courteous). And until recently I would always give up my seat to someone who needed it more than I. Now I'm often the one who needs to sit, so it's not much of an option anymore. Unfortunately, I don't always look like I need the seat (unless I have my cane with me, which I do more and more) and I'm not pregnant or particularly elderly (just middle aged with a brain that thinks I'm still 21) so I do get "dirty" looks from people occasionally. I feel bad that I can't be as giving about that as I was in the past, but I will still do everything I can to make the world of those around me as nice a place as possible. There is enough suffering in the world--why add to it with rude, inconsiderate behavior?

A favorite "manners" story: A "young man" of maybe 5 was with his mom walking ahead of me into a store. He stopped and, struggling, held open that heavy door for me. Smiling, I told him that he was just about the nicest young man I'd ever met. Oh the look--he practically blushed he was [I]so[/I] proud; his mom grinned at me and mouthed "thank you."

All too often we seem so busy, so frantic, so caught up in ourselves that we seem to forget how much these little gestures mean to others (and to ourselves for that matter). It's just appalling that anyone would behave so rudely. Not only that, but that kind of behavior (jumping over someone in a wheelchair to shove onto the elevator!) is dangerous. Obviously, these idiots didn't even consider that not only are they rude, but they could easily have injured the gentleman or themselves. Not that I particularly care if they injure themselves--what goes around comes around--but what do you want to bet they'd turn around and try to sue the OP for being in the way!

Enjoy life while you can and don't forget to play nicely with others.
beachchick

I agree that in many cases strong, healthy, middle-aged folks should give up their seats for older folks, children and folks who are less healthy or fit. Barring wardrobe considerations and pregnancy, however, there is no difference between men and women in this regard.

However, this doesn't apply to busses and trains, which run on a continuous schedule. The danger from accidents in busses and trains is so significant, and the risk so unnecessary: First-come-first-served prevails when there is another conveyance coming 'round in just a few minutes. The burden of manners in that case falls on the older folks, parents of children, etc., who make the decision to board a full conveyance. No one should be made to stand, when the alternative is for the late-comers to simply wait a short time for the next bus or train. (And a personal note: Please, please, please do not let children stand on busses, nor sit on laps. It makes them into prodigious projectiles in case of an accident. Either sit them on their rear-end on a seat or the floor.)

With regard to body hair, it is a societal norm that men be covered from neck to toe, excepting hands, while formally attired, so when formal attire is expected by our hosts, I believe it is reasonable to expect that armpits and chests will be hidden from view. Outside of formal situations, I believe it isn't reasonable to expect anything of the sort. Around here, you are expected to wear green on St. Patrick's Day, but no one expects you to do so any other day of the year.

I could never imagine getting a (permanent) tatoo, but would never presume to judge anyone else making that choice for themselves. I believe it is hazardous to try to judge others based on our own values. Consider this question: Assuming you're not Jewish, would you appreciate being judged a bad person because you don't comply with the precepts of the Jewish religion? Of course, that would be ridiculous. While society has the law to provide boundaries around which value-systems are considered valid, all value-systems that are compatible with compliance with the law are worthy of the same respect.

[b][i][font=Arial][QUOTE]However, this doesn't apply to busses and trains, which run on a continuous schedule. The danger from accidents in busses and trains is so significant, and the risk so unnecessary: First-come-first-served prevails when there is another conveyance coming 'round in just a few minutes. The burden of manners in that case falls on the older folks, parents of children, etc., who make the decision to board a full conveyance. No one should be made to stand, when the alternative is for the late-comers to simply wait a short time for the next bus or train.[/QUOTE]
[b]bicker -[/b]
For your information, our excursion was not one that we were doing on our own. We were with a guide and the trolley was only for the people that were on his tour. No other trolley coming along - perhaps I should have been more clear. I also mentioned that several young people (teens and 20's), be it men or women were sitting and none offered a seat. I merely mentioned the men in there 30's and 40's, because they were in the [b]able[/b] [b]age[/b] group and a generation that should have been taught to give up their seat to those in need. Some of the younger generation have not been taught this. And, I don't really consider 30's and 40's to be middle age. I am 47 and will not call myself middle age until I reach 50.:D In addition, the reason we were one of the last to board the trolley, is that when the trolley arrived, those younger than my folks ran and jumped ahead of the slower ones to grab a seat. The same thing happens in the airport with the shuttle system. My dad had to stand in those...no seat offered. This is the same dad that fell twice and had a few close calls from a balance problem while on our cruise.

You are so right about the dangers of these open air trolleys and tour buses. Our trolley actually ran on a 6 lane highway. I was terrified! :eek: Another incident that comes to mind (and I mentioned it on another post) was a tour bus we took to Paradise Cove. Two couples and six children came aboard. The parents put three children in a seat together and the mom sat behind them with a 1 year old and 3 year old. The dad sat behind the mother with the other dad. The other woman sat across the isle with her infant in her lap. Of course you can imagine what our bus trip was like with the kids cutting up and the two younger children screaming at the tops of their lungs. What really got me was the ride home late at night. The couple with the infant sat together with the infant in their laps. Two of the young boys were asleep and they were placed in the seat in front of me, by themselves! The other mother and the 1 year old sat across from them but never even looked their way. The boys bodies kept shifting throughout the ride and I was sure that if we had to slam on the brakes for any reason, they would be gone. Their little heads kept bagging into one another and their necks so bent that I straightened them up so that they didn't strangle. Their father sat behind his wife with the two little girls who both fell asleep. When the trip ended, the father got up with one young girl and nudged the boys to wake up. The other father stood the boys up in the isle and practically dragged them off the bus asleep. When the family left the bus, we looked over and the last little girl was still sound asleep in her seat. Several people around her woke her and told her that her family had left the bus. About the same time, the father came back on looking for her.:eek:

[QUOTE]Outside of formal situations, I believe it isn't reasonable to expect anything of the sort.[/QUOTE]I expect a gentleman to wear a shirt that covers his armpits, especially when tank tops are not allowed in the dining room.

[QUOTE]I could never imagine getting a (permanent) tattoo, but would never presume to judge anyone else making that choice for themselves.[/QUOTE]I don't believe that I was judging anyone as I said it was their business if they wished to have a tattoo. I was only stating my beliefs in the matter.

I can see that arguing (bickering) with you will do no good and we are really getting off track from the original post, so lets just leave it that not everyone on this board was raised with the same values and we all will never agree on certain subjects.;)
[/font][/i]
[/b]

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']perhaps I should have been more clear.[/QUOTE]Not at all. Your message was clear to me.

I am very concerned about the serious risks posed by busses and trains (open-air or enclosed, actually -- even hardened glass won't stop a 45 pound projectile, and if it did, I don't think the projectile would fare too well! I hope everyone takes the risks seriously.

I agree that it was surely horrible manners for those younger folks to jump the queue and grab the seats before your parents could do so. They shouldn't have done that, and shouldn't have gotten away with it.

I also agree that tank tops shouldn't be worn in the dining room when they're not allowed. On Royal Caribbean, however, only shorts, bare feet, and bathing suits are prohibited on casual nights.

You know - at the risk of getting off topic - this borders on the far-too-frequent complaint that many people today use - [COLOR=Navy]Judge me - not my "cover". [/COLOR] Well, first impressions are a fact of life. If you choose a "cover" that clearly demonstrates that you are unconcerned with other people's impressions of you, then you have no basis for protest when others form a negative impression based upon that neglectful presentation.

I hear over and over the argument "you must look deeper and get past the body piercings/tatoos/odd hair/dress/etc..." or whatever it is... but the fact remains, we are only human, and we make impressions every time we step out our door. It is up to us individually, to use common sense for the situations and events that we participate in and present ourselves accordingly. I repeat this over and over to my son, and his friends, because I think this is something that many "60's generation" parents have completely ignored, and they do their kids a huge disservice by doing so.

Sorry for jumping up on that soapbox. :rolleyes: Getting down now.

[quote name='bicker']I also agree that tank tops shouldn't be worn in the dining room when they're not allowed. On Royal Caribbean, however, only shorts, bare feet, and bathing suits are prohibited on casual nights.[/QUOTE]
While certain items of clothing are not specifically prohibited in the dining room, common sense would dictate that they are not appropriate at dinner time. I would have to say that tank tops worn by men would fall in to that category. While some people in this thread have preached that you should not judge anyone by their appearance ( and in most cases that is is true), a man wearing a tank top to dinner in the dining room has no class, period, end of story.

[QUOTE]You know - at the risk of getting off topic - this borders on the far-too-frequent complaint that many people today use - Judge me - not my "cover". Well, first impressions are a fact of life. If you choose a "cover" that clearly demonstrates that you are unconcerned with other people's impressions of you, then you have no basis for protest when others form a negative impression based upon that neglectful presentation.[/QUOTE]
I don't see that as a complaint but a valid point of view.Everyone has their own interpretation of what is and is not acceptable.My grandmother always felt any woman in a bikini was "asking for trouble".What is unacceptable certain places is completely common in others.I do believe if there are rules in certain places they should be followed however.Judging people because of clothing,body hair, etc. can be a dangerous thing and you just might miss out on meeting some great people.Just MHO

to hear about selfish cruisers, bus riders, door slammers etc. My family has a genetic blindness. Before his death, my dear brother loved to cruise even though he could not see! He never looked handicapped because he refused to use a white cane. We all miss his gentle hold on our arm. His blindness gave us such a gift. We could touch.

i think we all have some disability. Social disability may be the worst. How do people who only think of themselves ever get to feel truly worthwhile?

Hawt1, enjoyed your tongue in cheek. Humor does help.

I'm certain that Garjud must feel better after all the affirmations received here. I hope she and her husband can soon rally their courage to try again. We can't leave these beautiful ships and the people who work on them, and sail on them to those who haven't quite completed their evolution into decent human beings.

[QUOTE] I also agree that tank tops shouldn't be worn in the dining room when they're not allowed. On Royal Caribbean, however, only shorts, bare feet, and bathing suits are prohibited on casual nights.QUOTE]

bicker - I beg to differ, but the Compass on our Serenade cruise specifically listed that tank tops were not permitted in the dining room...period! I am looking for one of my copies now. Perhaps this is something new. RCCL does take a look at these boards and maybe they are taking more of an interest in what guest are wearing these days.
On the next to last night on our cruise, we saw a man and woman in the main dining room with shorts on. I think it was a smart casual night. Obviously, no one stopped them from eating. On the last night, a casual evening, we saw a girl dressed very smart casual...almost to the point of formal. I gathered that she brought nice, dressy clothes for the entire week and the strapless cocktail dress she had on was probably her last outfit. If it were not for these boards, I would have probably gone with what I see in the cruise brochures and would have taken all very nice evening clothes for all dinners.

Enough said on the subject from me!:)

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. Some of you put some bad pictures in my head though.My husband is still depressed, but since we already have a cruise booked in the spring, he may change his mind. I am not sure it is as much the rudness now but his realizing that this is something he will have to deal with from now on. He has MS, as do I , his worse than mine. I need to push him in his chair for my balance ( I walk like a drunk at times). We are trying to do as much as we can for as long as we can.

Angelmagc2: that was the group of people that did that to us. I "accidently" ran into one of them the next day with the chair. I saw the people that missed the ship also and the group trying to collect money. Some people just don't realize that the world (or ships) do not wait for them.

I hope all the responses weren't meant to be mean spirited. I too saw some very bad things. I guess the world is a different place now.

It's we who are different. We are getting older, less able perhaps to always do everything ourselves, less energy to tolerate new challenges. I keep thinking (as I watch my 81 year old mother) that getting old takes great courage, great humility, great generosity. We are called to use our heads and hearts more as we can't use brawn. The temptation to wish for the "good old days" must be resisted. As I look back, I know that there is much more to celebrate than what I saw when I was able to look only at what I wanted, needed, felt etc.

I'm so sorry that MS is attacking your quality of life. I do admire your courage and gumption to keep on enjoying life and each other despite the weariness and fear. Please don't start out looking for the awful. You will find it. Adjust your vision to see the glory, the kindness, the beauty and you'll find that.

All these posters are cruising with you. I dn't read any posts from those self involved here.

[quote name='PTarbay']Judging people because of clothing,body hair, etc. can be a dangerous thing and you just might miss out on meeting some great people.Just MHO[/QUOTE]

Yes, you might miss out. Employers might miss out. Friends might miss out. All true. But all very likely to happen. When you don't know anything about someone, except for a visual image, the first impression WILL be made on that. Period. Shoulda/woulda/coulda is nice, but live in the real world for one minute, and you will see that judgements are made. You can prepare for it, or ignore it and live with the consequences. I think it's foolhardy to ignore it, but that is JMHO also. ;)

Archived