Unbeliveably rude people

Garjud

We just returned from the Explorer on Sunday. I have nothing bad to say about the ship or the service or the food. I came in contact with the lowest form of people on earth. My husband is in a wheelchair and is unable to do much for himself, but he loves to cruise and I think that as long as he is able we will continue to cruise. The sickening thing for me is that there are people in this world that do not have compassion or respect for someone that is less fortunate than they are. On one of the formal nights we were waiting for an elevator. We waited several times as everyone was going to dinner or to the show. I finally got in front of an elevator and was waiting for the door to open, when these people came running up and one climed over top of my husbands legs and got on the elevator and shoved his chair out of the way so that his family or friends could get on too. I was so mad that I said alot of not lady like things before I realized that I was getting down to their level. It is so sad that people like that can walk and run and use their hands but have not one ounce of humanity in them. I thank God that I taught my children and I was taught respect for all people no matter what their abilities.That saddened what was otherwise a great cruise. I hope my husband changes his mind and will cruise again. It is one of the few things he enjoyed until now. This was his 48th cruise and the first time the scum of the earth was cruising also.

How disheartening for you and your husband. It is unbelievable, but unfortunately true, that some people can be so ignorant and inconsiderate. Not only on cruises, I might add! :(

Having returned from Explorer the week before you, we had great service everywhere on the ship and had no complaints about the food. As Forrest Gump said "life is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you're going to get." Same could be said of cruise passengers!

I hope this negative encounter will not put your husband off cruising - especially with 48 of them under his belt! He just has to reach the 50 milestone !!

SeaBaby

Unfortunaty there are a few that ruin things for the majority. I hope your husband can get over this and know that there are a lot of good caring people still out there. Good luck and enjoy life to the fullest!!

We just returned from the Explorer on Sunday. I have nothing bad to say about the ship or the service or the food. I came in contact with the lowest form of people on earth. My husband is in a wheelchair and is unable to do much for himself, but he loves to cruise and I think that as long as he is able we will continue to cruise. The sickening thing for me is that there are people in this world that do not have compassion or respect for someone that is less fortunate than they are. On one of the formal nights we were waiting for an elevator. We waited several times as everyone was going to dinner or to the show. I finally got in front of an elevator and was waiting for the door to open, when these people came running up and one climed over top of my husbands legs and got on the elevator and shoved his chair out of the way so that his family or friends could get on too. I was so mad that I said alot of not lady like things before I realized that I was getting down to their level. It is so sad that people like that can walk and run and use their hands but have not one ounce of humanity in them. I thank God that I taught my children and I was taught respect for all people no matter what their abilities.That saddened what was otherwise a great cruise. I hope my husband changes his mind and will cruise again. It is one of the few things he enjoyed until now. This was his 48th cruise and the first time the scum of the earth was cruising also.

Oh dear, I know how you must have felt..I hope your hubby was not hurt/injured in the process.. Don't worry..good old Folgy is planning a cruise for people like us who want to stay far far away from people like that!

My question for you is... did RCCL contribute to the rude service or was it the "tourists'" on board??? I would hope the RCCL did everything they could to make you cruise as comfortable as possible. If they didn't I would have major issue with them.... As for the other cruisers; well, as I have been told in the past, and have become a firm believer of, just as you cannot choose neighbors, you cannot choose who you cruise with... Unfortunately there are some pretty rude individuals out there.

Hope your next cruise is better

How sad....please give your hubby a big hug from me. Isn't it sad that the few create much grief in life for so many? My simple pleasures come from opening a door for anyone, to stopping my car in a car park to ask an elderely gentlemen if he needed help. I am not looking for any pats on the back here ; the joy i receive from giving is worth much more..Try it!

How awful. That reminds me of a time I was with my mother in her power chair on vacation. A man wan was in his car, blocking the sidewalk on a busy street. We waited patiently but after a couple of minutes we asked him if he could back out enough to let her pass by on the sidewalk. He screamed "you people, it's always about you!" It was very upsetting, because my mother has faught so hard to remain independent despite her mobility issues. My aunt gave him an earful, I was too stunned to say anything. I have found that the vast majority of people want to be accomodating, unfortunately, it only takes one cruel person to ruin things. I hope your husband will cruise again.

My heart goes out to you and your husband. 4_13_4.gif If you're EVER on one of my cruises...I'll personally clear the way for you both if I see you! 15_1_64.gif There is NO EXCUSE for that kind of behavior!!! You never know, those people might end up in a wheelchair themselves someday!

You just tell your husband to not let a bunch of morons stop him from doing what he loves. He's got to go with the odds. If this has only happened 1 time out of the 48 (and yes,once is definitely too many) then the odds are definitely in his favour.

It hurts to even hear that people can be so rude. I can't even fathom not letting someone with a mobility handicap or an elderly person get in front of me - never mind even imagining PUSHING someone-anyone out of the way so I can jump in front of them. Uurrgghh - I'm sure they make their parents proud because that MUST be how they were raised!!

Garjud -

So sorry to hear of your experience. My husband travels with a motorized scooter and can relate to your elevator story. We have been on 17 now and Its been our experience that there are some people who are as self centered as you describe and someone in a chair or a scooter is just an obstacle to get around. Fortunately, we have also encountered some of the nicest people as well. You know the people I am talking about I am sure; The ones who go out of their way to get you on the elevator first, or the ones who hold children from pushing ahead etc. I know nothing ever really makes up for the rudeness of some but we simply refuse to let them ruin our vacation. We usually deal with the elevator madness by going in the opposite direction as everyone else...when everyone is trying to get to the windjammer we may grab an empty elevator going down...it has to go back up. I hope your husband will reconsider and keep cruising.

This has bugged me since our first cruise....

I have such a hard time understanding why perfectly healthy people have to take an elevator for 1 or 2 flights of stairs. Why are some cruisers so lazy?

I know some disabilities cannot be seen, so they may "look" healthy but there is NO WAY all the people I have seen do this need that elevator.

GRRR

I wish they would have a handicap ONLY elevator that has to be accessed with an approved seapass, so cruisers who have no other way of getting to another deck do not have to ruin a otherwise great vacation.

Sorry for all the rude people out there. :(

Bobbie

How rude! And these were adults?

A lot of the rude behavior I've seen on my cruises has been from adults.It's not just the kids.They learn by example.Although it was only a couple times I've actually seen rude adults harrassing kids that were behaving themselves just because they didn't want kids around.Garjud,I wish I would have been there.I would have held the door open until they got off and let you and your husband in.I hope your husband doesn't let a few rude people ruin cruising for him.Please assure him most of us would not tolerate this behavior.

I'm so sorry to hear of these rude ppl, as my DH is partially handicaped, believe it or not, he gets alot of rude ppl everywhere pushing him or bumping him. He has a bad leg and wears a big brace and uses a cane, and walks slowly. I actually walk behind him now in single file to thawrt off these rude ppl. Dont let these rude ppl wreck your DH's cruising fun, next time just say in a loud voice, I hope your real proud of yourself! I used to be nice but I'm no longer keeping my mouth shut when ppl are being rude to my DH.

God Bless you both! :)

I've found rude people on just about every cruise I've been on. Usually, I go with the theory "Roll with the flow" and try to ignore it unless they are being rude to someone else near me.

That said, we had an experience while boarding the Norwegian Dream in England I'd like to tell you about as Norwegian was the one who did something about it.

We were in the Latitudes check-in line and there was a fellow in front of us with his feet spread wide into two lines. We asked him nicely which line he was in and he snottingly replied, "I'm in both of them".

As we got to the check-in counter, he went to one person, we went to the one beside him. The woman waiting on him had seen what had happened. She then asked for his Latitudes number and he said "What's that?" He was in the wrong line!

Well, we got processed, went through security, had our picture taken, and then walked up the stairs to the ship. At the top of the stairs, we looked back and saw that this man and his wife (who said absolutely nothing) were still at the counter. The lady from Norwegian was makng him wait as long as she could!

P.S. Each time on the ship while at the coffee bar or piano bar etc. this man and his wife sometimes sat at a table near us. Although we usually had other people sitting with us that we had met during the cruise, this man NEVER had anyone else sitting with him except his wife.

Had another "nice" incident on the Dawn Princess. We were in an elevator on deck three when a fellow strolled in and actually yelled to other people trying to get in that they should wait for the next elevator as he was in a hurry.

A man standing next to us said quietly, "What deck do you want, sir?" He replied deck ten. The man next to us then proceeded to press every button from three to ten and got off the elevator. We followed, laughing all the way!

There's always a "reply" to a rude person.

I have a sister with MS and needs to walk with a cane often. Sometimes when we've been together she leaves the cane at home and just holds on my shoulder or elbow to steady her. We get the oddest looks - and people will even say rude things within our earshot. She can get handicapped license plates but refuses to because she doesn't want to put up with people making snide remarks about her "not looking handicapped". Sometimes you just can't make assumptions. There are many rude people in this world - how unfortunate for the rest of us.

I hope this doesn't get taken wrong....I myself would never do anything like that, I have many handicapped firends and I do everything I can to help them, I was on the Rhapsody on the sept 26th sailing and was just the opposite going on. A gal in a scooter was just driving her way into a full elevator, ran several people out. I feel for your husband and I'd have prolly joined you in those choice words you had to say to the ones that were rude to him. Bad thing is the rude ones are everywhere. The ones that are perfectly fine in health, rich, or just plain stuck up, thinks someone owes them something. Ticks me Off!! Then there are the ones that need help and just expect it no questions asked, ticks me off too!!! Sometimes I just dont know where people think they are better than somewhere else no matter where they come from, what they have, what health they are in, or whatever the case may be. I'm not always the most polite person, but when I think how lucky I am to be healthy, well enough said. sorry about the rant! Just somthing that really pertubs me! I dont know if I said it right but I think you know what I mean in all this. I'm terrible at putting my message in type.

Rude people are everywhere.....I am getting to the point of considering stopping holding doors open for the persons behind me ...I probably have a 50/50 chance of getting a thank you or a smile!!! .....And It's all ages and groups that are rude,not just the young !! ....Gosh...I'll probably always hold the door for people but will continue to be frusterated!!

Perhaps the real issue is Garjud's hurt because no amount of good will undo this incident. Personally I'm embarrassed for them and angry at the selfish fools who put them in this position. Such crude behavior has merit only for the perpetrator. They neither know nor care about the harm they do and we’re all worse for it. If there’s a likely time on a cruise for this kind of thing to happen it’s between dinner sittings when migrations twixt theater and restaurant occur.

Archived