Unbeliveably rude people

Garjud

I learned a lesson about how appearances don't always mean what they appear to be. Hubby 'looked' perfectly healthy and capable . . . .We were going on a cruise about 6 weeks after my husband suffered a serious heart attack, and the discovery of an abdomonal aortic aneuyrism (AAA) that because of the heart attack, could not be operated on for another month (the docs weren't sure his heart could stand the surgery). If anyone knows about AAA, it can cause instant death if the aneuyrism ruptures. We were told by his doctors that he was to in no event lift anything heavier than just a few pounds. At the port, and on other occasions (grocery shopping, etc.), he got snide remarks aobut how he was letting me do all the lifting, while he just stood there...."boy, you've sure got her trained, you chauvanist"....and worse..... I felt so bad for DH!!

I always try my hardest to give an offender the benefit of the doubt.....doesn't always work, but I try.....

Michele

[QUOTE]Yes, you might miss out. Employers might miss out. Friends might miss out. All true. But all very likely to happen. When you don't know anything about someone, except for a visual image, the first impression WILL be made on that. Period. Shoulda/woulda/coulda is nice, but live in the real world for one minute, and you will see that judgements are made. You can prepare for it, or ignore it and live with the consequences.[/QUOTE]

I do live in the real world just not yours.Of course judgements are made but they don't have to be negative.Try saying hello to someone instead of just looking at what they are wearing.Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.What consequences are you talking about?Some people might not like you?That happens no matter what you wear.Making judgements is one thing and being judgemental is another.I personally tend to overdress and have no tattoos and shave but if someone else likes tank tops has their whole body tattooed and happens to be hairier than your average person I don't care.It's not the clothes that make the person.

Michuck
How terrible for you.You must have been so worried for your husband and having to listen to those comments must have made him feel terrible.It's amazing sometimes how total strangers knowing nothing of your situation can just make comments.I am a diabetic and one time I was at the mall and was so busy shopping I forgot to eat.My sugar dropped pretty fast and I got dizzy and had a hard time walking.My husband was trying to help me to a bench so I could get a couple of my tablets out.Some guy said to him you better get her home and just let her sleep it off.

Kami's pal
I think you gave us a lot to think about

[b][i][font=Arial][b][b]Garjud -[/b] What an inspiration to us you and your husband are and what courage you have.
We have a good friend that was diagnosed with MS about two years ago. We were both having similar symptoms, and it was scary. He got the MS diagnoses. I had better news...a slipped disk from the result of an injury do to our house fire. We have watched our friend regress rapidly to the point that he no longer wishes to do much of anything. We cannot get him to cruise as he does not like to go out in public.
God Bless you in your journey.;)

[b]Michuck - [/b]I had to chuckle when I read about you lifting everything on your cruise. My husband developed a hernia just a week before we were to cruise. If he went ahead and had the surgery to repair it, we would not be able to cruise. Because he chose to wait for the surgery, he could not lift anything for fear of rupture. We also received many stern looks as our children and myself did all the lifting.:D
And yes, I am familiar with AAA. My husbands brother died in his sleep from one just 2 1/2 years ago. :( No one knew he had it! He was only 55. Did you know AAA is hereditary - and is prevalent with the male? My husband has already been checked out and doesn't have it, but I worry about my 17 year old son. He looks and is built so much like my BIL. We need to have him checked as well, but for insurance purposes, we have to come up with something like chest pain as we did my husband. I am so glad your husband came through both his surgeries OK.
[/b][/font][/i]
[/b]

[quote name='superjerryw']While certain items of clothing are not specifically prohibited in the dining room, common sense would dictate that they are not appropriate at dinner time. I would have to say that tank tops worn by men would fall in to that category. [/QUOTE]I believe we're getting way too far off-topic, for the comfort of our moderators. Rather than driving the topic further from the subject, I'll just say that I believe you're incorrect and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

[QUOTE]period, end of story.[/QUOTE]Again, I disagree.

[quote name='Sea Island Lady']"I also agree that tank tops shouldn't be worn in the dining room when they're not allowed. On Royal Caribbean, however, only shorts, bare feet, and bathing suits are prohibited on casual nights."

bicker - I beg to differ, but the Compass on our Serenade cruise specifically listed that tank tops were not permitted in the dining room...period![/QUOTE]I was quoting RCI's web site. We have read about many different things that are different on different ships, making it clear that each ship has the discretion of applying their own requirements.

Here's a direct link so you can see RCI's statement for yourself.
[url="http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do?br=R&exCode=23"]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/experiencetypes/experiencetype/experience/home.do?br=R&exCode=23[/url]

Here's the relevant section:

Suggested guidelines for these nights are:
[img]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/img]Casual: Sport shirts and slacks for men, sundresses or pants for women[img]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/img]Smart Casual: Jackets and ties for men, dresses or pantsuits for women[img]http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/con_bulletgray_ico.gif[/img]Formal: Suits and ties or tuxedos for men, cocktail dresses for women
Bare feet or bathing suits are not allowed at any time in the dining room and shorts are [b][u]not permitted[/u][/b] at dinner. Each ship also offers a variety of casual dining options, for example, the Windjammer Café.

I hope this helps.

Sea Island Lady: Thanks for your kind words and tell your friend to go out and do all that he can and don't give in to this disease. It is not life ending only life changing. If he needs someone to talk to that is going through this, let me know and I will give you my email address.

Judy

I am so sorry this happened to you. I can't understand why people that can walk the steps don't. We always take to step unless it is late at night or my knees have had it for the day. On our last cruise most our shipmates were over 65 (thats another story) so we always walked. It just wasn't worth it to take someone else space in the lift when they could'nt take the steps. I hope your hubby changes his mind.

[quote name='PTarbay']I do live in the real world just not yours.Of course judgements are made but they don't have to be negative.Try saying hello to someone instead of just looking at what they are wearing.Just because you don't like something doesn't mean everyone else feels the same way.What consequences are you talking about?Some people might not like you?That happens no matter what you wear.Making judgements is one thing and being judgemental is another.I personally tend to overdress and have no tattoos and shave but if someone else likes tank tops has their whole body tattooed and happens to be hairier than your average person I don't care.It's not the clothes that make the person.[/QUOTE]

You are either missing my point, or I am being entirely obtuse. :confused: I agree that it is wrong to judge on appearances, but the fact is, people do, both positively AND negatively. And one would be naive to think otherwise. You can use it to your benefit, or ignore it. That is entirely up to you. :rolleyes:

Signing off this topic now.... :cool:

I was on the vision cruise to hawaii a few weeks ago. My DH & I, 27 & 28 respectively, took the stairs most of the time. It was faster and good to work off all our desserts.

One time when we were waiting for the elevator, the doors opened and a woman on a motorized scooter came flying out the doors as soon as she was able to clear them. I'll bet anything that she was fed up with people getting in before she could get out and decided to solve her problem that way. Good for her because if people waited to the side and weren't standing on top of the door to get in, we all wouldn't be writing about elevator issues.

I have cruised on three cruise lines. I know I will hear about this but on my two RCCL cruises there were very many rude people. Pushing shoving and running over you. On the two other lines I cruised there were no rude people at least not that I saw. Maybe the Carnival class is coming over to RCCL. ( Please don't ream me!!)

Unfortunately no matter where you go or what you do you always run into people who are rude and inconsiderate. Try going though 2 hurricanes in three weeks. No power. Damage to your property. Shortage of everything. Those same rude and inconsiderate people are trying to cut in lines at gas stations, grocery stores, etc. Try not to dwell on the minority. The considerate people normally are greater in number. I know that was the case during our hurricane experience. Never let a few bad apples spoil your day. Life is to short.

[quote name='hawt1']Hmmm, we just booked our first cruise last night. Chose RCCL for a December 2005 Christmas and New Year's Cruise.

Just wondering if the fact that I have body hair is going to label me as low class. Yes, it goes all the way to my underarms...or maybe that is where it starts and moves out from there - eithr way there is plenty to go around and as I start to bald, I have told my wife that I will just do a combover like all of the other older guys - except I will be able to comb over from my shoulders!!!.

Not sure if there is a section on the RCCL website that states what percentage of my body I should cover with clothing given my body hair situation...or can you recommend a good waxing product for me to use prior to boarding?

Also, on the tattoo issue, is there a maximum number of tatoos that would put us in the low-class category or is it generally the size and quality of the tattoo. Is a "mom in a heart" tattoo okay but a dragon head not? Butterfly okay but motorcycle not?

May as well throw in piercings too...as I figure that is likely a problem now that the peasants have been allowed into the kingdom. Should my wife remove all signs of ear piercings or is two still allowed (talking about ears here).

Does all jewelery need to be pearl and diamond and are cubic zirconias easily noticed and siezed by the pursers office for return later? I know my wife will not wear the same dress twice on the sailing but I may wear the same suit to the formal nights...different tie of course and shirt. Is that okay.

We are not bringing a man-servant with us. Will we be out of place?

I am sure that I have several other questions as we get closer to our sailing date and that the others on our sailing will also grill us to see if we fit in - or just ignore us as we beg for money around the pool so that we can pay our final bill. Either way is fine for us as long as we get a chance to pilfer through your belongings when you are not looking at the pool.

Hope that there are a few others on board that do not live in castles and are fairly regular people who go on vacation to unwind and enjoy themselves with their family. Hate the thought of wearing one of those bathing suits that goes from my shoulders to my knees but if that is standard high-class attire, then will try to dig one out of my grampas wardrobe.

If Iwe are found to be low-class, I am certain that they can put us on the lower floors like they did on the Titanic. Maybe throw us a morsel of bread and some water occassionally. And your pity of course.

Hair length or colour, tattoos, body hair....whatever. Get beyond the surface stuff and get to know people. You might be surprised what you have in common with them.

Signing off with tongue firmly planted in cheek...but hopefully making a point.[/QUOTE]

You're more than welcome to cruise with us! My husband is naturally hairy (he doesn't grow extra just to offend the higher classes) and I have a tatoo of a turtle on my left shoulder (which you can't see because I never wear sleeveless tops but I feel the need to confess that I have it).

I'm afraid I'd be a bit suspicious of a man WITHOUT hairy armpits, but that's a whole "nuther topic LOL!

Archived