Hotel Captain Hook

coffee39

I just found out that Princess has booked us into Hotel Captain Hook in Anchorage. Can anyone tell me what this hotel is really like, it looks very nice on the webpage however, we also booked a cabin for a week camping trip one time by a picture on the website and when we arrived we found out the picture was the office and believe me it looked nothing like the place we actully were expected to stay in. LOL.

I am sure Hotel Captain Hook wouldn't be like that. I tried to search for reviews on cc however, search won't work for me.

I think you mean the Hotel Captain Cook (after the Pacific Ocean explorer). You'd probably find the Hotel Captain Hook in Neverland (2nd star to the right, straight on until morning) or someday at a Disney Theme Park.

You are right...my mistake it is the Hotel Captain Cook. Anyone have information on what it is like?

For many years it was considered to be THE best hotel in Alaska. Now it's just one of many very good hotels. It's right downtown, close to everything and most rooms have great views. It has a very formal feel to it (that is, it's dark) and for independent travelers it's very expensive.

We stayed there in 1998.

At that time it was very nice. However there were no drapes to pull across the windows and the sun was shining in til very very late (I should say early in the AM ) making it hard to sleep. They had sheer curtains. Maybe they have changed by now. Also it was 82o+ on June 14 and the whole 3 days we were there that year and the rooms have no a/c, they brought up a fan as the room facing west was really hot. It is well located walkable to all the shops and museum.

We stayed there in 1998.

At that time it was very nice. However there were no drapes to pull across the windows and the sun was shining in til very very late (I should say early in the AM ) making it hard to sleep.

I'm packing two large binder clips (the metal clips that hold thick stacks of paper together like a giant paper clip). I figure I can use them on curtains that may not overlap and close completely.

Can anyone tell me what this hotel is really like, it looks very nice on the webpage however, we also booked a cabin for a week camping trip one time by a picture on the website and when we arrived we found out the picture was the office and believe me it looked nothing like the place we actully were expected to stay in. LOL.

We stayed at the Captain Cook 4 years ago.

It was a very nice hotel.

I would stay there again, ....

if I didn't find a Bed and Breakfast that I liked better.

I do recall that Princess had an "office" there in the hotel.

We stayed at the Captain Cook 4 years ago.

It was a very nice hotel.

I would stay there again' date=' ....

if I didn't find a Bed and Breakfast that I liked better.

I do recall that Princess had an "office" there in the hotel.[/quote']

We stayed there in 2005 and will stay there again this August. Yes, Princess has an office at the hotel (or at least they did in 2005). It was May when we were there so A/C wasn't needed. We'll see about August this year.

It's a nice hotel, we like it.

It is a nice hotel (by Anchorage standards). It has a dark, nautical theme. Service was excellent. There was no air conditioning in the hotel but it wasn't needed. It is in a great location for walking around.

We have also stayed there - very nice hotel and great location for everything.

Feel free to skip this post. Just a little trivia about this hotel. It was started by Walter (Wally) J Hickel. He was one of many people who supposedly came to Alaska with just a few pennies in their pocket. Hickel went on to be our business-like Alaska governor. A far cry from "down home" Bill Egan. Hickel was Nixon's Alaska campaign manager and was appointed President Nixon's Secretary of the Interior He soon resigned over a difference of opinion with Nixon. The Captain Cook hotel survived the Alaska earthquake (what a day!) much better than the other larger Anchorage hotel which is now the Hilton which had people trapped on the upper floors for awhile. (Forgive? Just reminiscing.)

We stayed there in 98 and it was very nice hotel. We went out for dinner and when we came back there was a beautiful white carriage sitting in front of the hotel. The driver was dressed with top hat and coat. It was like a cinderella scene. We took a tour around town and enjoyed the evening. I think it was about $30.

Archived