? re: past guest upgrade - is TA right?

Regina37

We booked our upcoming July '08 cruise in January '08. We have been on one Carnival cruise in the past, and I asked our TA about a past guest upgrade. She said there was none available at the time, but she would keep an eye on it. Long story short - last week, I spoke with her again about this, and still no upgrade available. I then called Carnival directly, and was told that we were eligible for an upgrade from the Riviera Deck to the Main Deck, but they couldn't give it to us since was used a TA (big mistake). I called the TA, she called Carnival, and called us back to inform us that if there was any change made to our cabin assignment (since our cruise docs have been issued) that there would be a $40.00 charge.

Is this true, or are we getting the run around because our TA doesn't know what she's doing?

We booked our upcoming July '08 cruise in January '08. We have been on one Carnival cruise in the past, and I asked our TA about a past guest upgrade. She said there was none available at the time, but she would keep an eye on it. Long story short - last week, I spoke with her again about this, and still no upgrade available. I then called Carnival directly, and was told that we were eligible for an upgrade from the Riviera Deck to the Main Deck, but they couldn't give it to us since was used a TA (big mistake). I called the TA, she called Carnival, and called us back to inform us that if there was any change made to our cabin assignment (since our cruise docs have been issued) that there would be a $40.00 charge.

Is this true, or are we getting the run around because our TA doesn't know what she's doing?

I don't think that there is a fee because the documents have been printed, but there are reports that Carnival will impose the prevailing fuel surcharge at the time of the change. That is likely what the $40 is for and seems about right if you are on a 5 day cruise. ($4 per day increase from $5 to $9 times 5 days times two people = $40.)

Hope this helps, but if the math doesn't work I have no ideas.

I think you really need to get a good TA, or there are problems. Our first cruise was a family cruise ((5 cabins) and we used a cousin TA and she did not know what she was doing. Of course she quit the job (did not let us know) but the owner promised to take care of us and she did. She got us an upgrade to a balcony for the price of a oceanview (I noticed the big price difference online that we had paid) and took care of everything. My next cruise with Carnival I booked with Carnival and was much happier.

Of course my next cruise is with a group, so we are with a TA, but she seems to be knowledgable.

I think the conditions vary from cruise to cruise. I booked directly with Carnival, and on that cruise, they were offering past guest a free upgrade from an inside room to an oceanview room. Not all cruises offer these upgrades, or discounts for past guests.

As far as your situation, I am not an expert, but it does sound odd. To me (experts, please chime in here), if Carnival offers it, your TA should be able to take advantage of it.

Not to change subjects here, but this is the exact reason why I booked my next 2 cruises directly with the cruiselines. I booked my first 2 through a TA, and although she was wonderful, there were little mistakes and oversights that I could not correct myself (spelling errors on the names, etc). I see no reason at all to book through a TA.

If you search for the cruise on Travelocity, you can click a box to indicate that you are a past guest. It will, once you get to the pricing screen, indicate any discounts and or upgrades available. That is for new bookings, so I do not know if you can convert an existing booking.

I don't think there is an upgrade just because you are a past guest. There is a discount available that I guess could correlate to an upgrade but generally to the best of my knowledge you get some small discount.

There IS a past guest upgrade, I received it. You are upgraded 2 categories.

The increase is definitely for the fuel surcharge. I had to make a change to my reservation after the 11/07 deadline, and my fuel surcharge went up even though I upgraded to a more expensive cabin. It is considered a new booking if there are any changes and you get charged the current fuel surcharge rate.

Since this upgrade was probably available when you booked and your TA missed it, I would insist that the TA cover the difference.

When i was booking my liberty cruise, i spoke to someone on carnival and they told me that they didnt have a previous guest discount for that cruise, so since my dh was military they were going to give us that. When i called costco, they gave me the past guest immediatly. So, maybe there are only so many past guest bookings or there might not be some cruises that are busier and dont give the past guest discount.

I booked my August cruise in February using the military rate. They (my PVP) would not bulge on any upgrades, obc, because getting the military rate I was already getting the "lowest rate". I even threw in the DP3 code several times and they still wouldn't bulge. I just happened to call Carnival (1800 number and not my PVP's line) to check on the military rate for a friend of mine who decided to go at the last minute, and the Carnival Agent/PVP (not my PVP) asked me why I didn't give up the military rate for the past guest rate. I told her I had been trying for weeks to use the DP# rate and no one would bulge. I went from an inside room to a balcony for $100.00 more, with the past guest upgrade specials using DP3. It does depend on who you talk to at Carnival!

Is it worth all this aggrivation to have the same cabin, just up one deck???? :confused:

Archived