W Caribbean shore excursions

Scoop_MSU

We're booked on Spirit next April 5 for our 2nd cruise and taking kids (if you can call 31, 29 and 24 y/o kids) for their first one. In browsing some of the ports boards, it appears considerably less expensive to book excursions independently versus the cruise ship choices (NCL has just started listing their choices and not even sure if the list is complete or will be added to as time goes on). Connivence and ease appear to be best choices for using the cruise line - what are the down sides to trying to book your own? Payment options? Unknown operators? Lots of research? Thanks in advance. :)

biggest issue: missing the ship

in belize, you have tender in....the ships don't dock...some of the best excrusions are all day trip, i didn't want to worry about making it back. many of the local vendors are very good and get rave reviews on the port-of-call boards.

in belize, we did the lamanai and river safari...8 hours, bus/boat/mayan ruin and back. got back to the dock for the 2nd to the last tender of the day...that was the earliest the tour had made it back for some time.

if you book through NCL, they will hold the ship for awhile...but either way, it's their responsibility to get to you the next port. if you book locally, the ship doesn't wait and it's your responsibility.

don't know about costa maya, the spirit didn't go there last year. costa maya and belize...you are going to want to have something planned. not good ports to just wander around.

the other thing, in belize...the ship excursions get off the ship 1st, after that you have to wait for them to call your ticket. local tours lose time waiting for everyone to get off the ship/on the tenders and to port.

costa maya is a freight port, not pretty...but the countryside is and very interesting. belize has some great mayan history, but also known for it's cave tubing and zip lining.

cozumel is different, very touristy...great beach resorts, just grab a taxi and go. over walk around and hit the bars.

costa maya is a freight port, not pretty...

Really? Is this since the hurricane? When we went (before it was ruined by the storm), it was a shopping port created strictly for tourists with a swimming pool, etc. Pretty, but really just a shopping mall. I wouldn't describe it as the best port ever, but certainly not as a freight port. True, the nearby town was not pretty. As to the OP's questions, in Belize, we decided to book with NCl because of the tender issue you describe. But in Costa Maya, we booked a personal tour of the Mayan pyramids and other ruins and feel it was well worth it. From talking to other cruisers, we felt we had a more intimate and informative tour. I know there have been some sad stories occasionally, but my experience is that the tour operators are very aware of the cruise ship schedules and work very hard to get you back on time. I agree that in Cozumel it is so easy to grab a cab, it is a waste of money to book with NCL. We booked the Dolphin experience on our own and it was a highlight of our cruising experiences - and a LOT less expensive than doing it with NCL.

Finally, my experience was that it was much easier to find good local operators in the E. Carrib than in the W. Carrib - probably just because those islands have been popular tourist destinations for a longer period of time - so I would say the research is more difficult for the Western itinerary and could not blame anyone for wanting to skip that and go with NCL.

sorry, i meant santo tomas...it has frieght cars waiting to be loaded. costa maya wasn't on the route last year, it was closed by the hurricane damage...the docks and area were destroyed. will be interested to see it, if i get to do the cruise this year.

There are other reasons for avoiding the cruise line tours besides cost. Think Buses ... big buses. I like the personal touch and the tours I booked with independents were the ones where I ended up with smaller groups and outstanding value. On some of them you didn't even have to pay up front (Pete Taylor in Jamaica and the folks I did the cave tubing with in Belize).

It takes more research, but look for the ones that are highly recommended by multiple posters. Those tour operators all knew we were booking because of the cruisecritic recommendations. They knew we'd be posting our experiences. They were very aware of when they had to get us back, because their future business was going to depend on it.

Belize was a special case in point. One of our dinner companions picked the ship tour over my private tour and we compared notes afterward. She was pretty disappointed by the one-cave experience she had and the way folks were left to fend for themselves going downriver. Our guides were great -- funny and attentive -- and we did both caves.

We did the Cave Tubing in Belize many years ago (2001-ish) via a private contractor. We were panicked about getting back to the boat while the operator wanted to stop for a snack:eek: . We made it on time, but I'd be very careful about off-ship tours. Ask around and see if anyone has had close (or disasterous) calls in certain ports.

i meant santo tomas...it has frieght cars waiting to be loaded..

Ah, yes, that makes sense. Santo Tomas was not pretty. However we did have a delightful experience with that port (in addition to the excellent private excursion we took with Gus to the Falls). After our day, we were having dinner on the ship. We looked down and could see that many vans and cars had lined up side-by-side on the pier and were blinking their lights, and some were honking horns, to bid the ship farewell. It was so charming!! They continued long after it got dark, so it was quite pretty as the ship pulled out. As for Costa Maya, I hope it is up and running again soon!

i have a video of the send-a-way at santo tomas...at one point a trumpet player did a solo...very cool. our cabin was on the port side, i heard the car horns and the drums, remember what i read on CC...we spend the next 40 mins on the balcony.

we did the trip to quirigua maya site, very interesting. thank goodness i took bug spray!! but otherwise at educating day, especially with going to belize and lamanai the next day.

the NCL tour to quirigua was very good, nice bus, good tour guide..well ran. the NCL tour to belize was great, outstanding tour guide, really sweet bus driver...old bus, uncomfortable seats..boat was in great shape..heck of a day!

cozumel we went to nachi cocom...very nice:D . not crowded, great food and service. had reservations, just had to get a taxi and go. cozumel is very easy to do things on your own.

Thanks for the tips - now will spend a few months surfing the port boards. :)

The port boards are great, as long as someone who was interested in exactly the same experience as you found a way to find it in the port you're going to be in... :p Sorry if that sounds convoluted, but I've found that not everything I want to do is necessarily discussed on the port boards, and even when I ask questions sometimes there's nobody with experience or knowledge who can answer them.

To me, a big part of my holiday is the preparation. The cruise itself is only going to last for a week, but once you've decided where and when and on what ship you're going, you've got all that time between then and departure to do research.

In my opinion, there are two good reasons to book through your cruiseline. The first is if there is a time crunch; if the ship is in port for a 'short day', booking with a private operator can be dangerous for getting back to the ship on time. If you have any doubts, a ship excursion is probably best. The other is if you can't find the tour you want offered elsewhere, or there's something about the private option that is prohibitive. On our next cruise we're planning to do the beginner scuba excursion through the ship; I haven't been able to find a similar experience offered privately for a better price or without a higher age limit (the one the ship offers will allow my 10 year old to go).

On the other hand, doing research can mean that you may be able to have an experience that you might otherwise have missed out on. This past January, I wanted to see the cliff divers in Acapulco, but I didn't want to have to stand on a platform in the hot Mexican sun with a bunch of other sardines... I mean tourists. :p I did a little research and found a yacht charter that took us to see the divers from the water, then took us to a private cove to swim and snorkel, fed us an absolutely delicious lunch, gave us a tour on the way back, and served us included alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages all day - for $75 per adult and $37.50 for kids 8 and under. It wasn't even usually offered on the day we were in port, but I drummed up interest in our roll call and they put it on for us - and because they sponsored the cliff divers, they even had them put on an 'extra' show that day since our ship docked a little late to catch the first one! It was my favourite port of the cruise! :)

So... after this long winded response, my whole point in a nutshell is to enjoy doing research, find out about the ports and what they have to offer, and then find the tour that is going to give you the best experience for you and still have you back on the ship in time. :)

Archived