Snorkeling in St. Thomas

Sunmist

I booked a snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas called, Captain Nautica's Snorkeling Expedition, which is booked through Princess and I was wondering if anyone has done this excursion and if it's worth doing. I really want to do some great snorkeling in St. Thomas and want to know if I'll get a better snorkeling experience through this princess excursion or booking one in the actual port that is not affiliated with the ship. Any suggestions are really appreciated!!

Here is a brief description of Captain Nautica's Snorkeling Expedition:

Your small group boards a state-of the-art, 31-foot, hard-bottomed inflatable for the cruise to two of the best snorkeling sites surrounding St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands National Park. Enjoy approximately one hour exploring the colorful reefs at each site.

I booked a snorkeling excursion in St. Thomas called, Captain Nautica's Snorkeling Expedition, which is booked through Princess and I was wondering if anyone has done this excursion and if it's worth doing. I really want to do some great snorkeling in St. Thomas and want to know if I'll get a better snorkeling experience through this princess excursion or booking one in the actual port that is not affiliated with the ship. Any suggestions are really appreciated!!

Your small group boards a state-of the-art, 31-foot, hard-bottomed inflatable for the cruise to two of the best snorkeling sites surrounding St. Thomas and the Virgin Islands National Park. Enjoy approximately one hour exploring the colorful reefs at each site.

My husband and I booked this tour with the excursion desk when we were aboard the Caribbean Princess in March 2007. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The inflatable was just the right size for about 16 of us and it also left right from the marina at Crown Bay..no transfer needed. We snorkeled at Buck Island with sea turtles and then over a submerged shipwreck. I don't know if I would say we had the best snorkeling ever but it was enjoyable and definitely worth the money.

Kathy

It's a VERY Bumpy ride. On the upside, there were only nine snorkelers on board. I went this February. The lack of fishies and/or poor viz is no fault of the operator.

Feb 3 – St Thomas: Ship’s snorkel with Capt Nautica .

A high speed (35 knots) pontoon boat takes us to Buck Island. First stop is over freighter wreck, visibility is very poor, few fish and less coral. Second stop is on lee side of island, Turtle Cove. Visibility is much better. Did a swim-along with a turtle family, also Stingrays and a Barracuda.

http://www.captainnautica.com/index.php

It's a VERY Bumpy ride. On the upside, there were only nine snorkelers on board. I went this February. The lack of fishies and/or poor viz is no fault of the operator.

Feb 3 – St Thomas: Ship’s snorkel with Capt Nautica .

A high speed (35 knots) pontoon boat takes us to Buck Island. First stop is over freighter wreck, visibility is very poor, few fish and less coral. Second stop is on lee side of island, Turtle Cove. Visibility is much better. Did a swim-along with a turtle family, also Stingrays and a Barracuda.

http://www.captainnautica.com/index.php

Thanks so much for the great website!! One more question...do they make you wear a flotation device, such as a noodle? Or do they give you the choice?

If you choose not to take that excursion, you can simply catch a taxi over to Coki Beach for some of the best snorkeling on St. Thomas (better for fish than coral viewing, though). There is no charge for the beach, and they rent equipment right there (or you can bring your own).

Archived