half moon cay clamshell

Half Moon Clamshells -- they rent for $15 a day (HAL's price) and contain 2 lounge chairs under them. Most people rent them before leaving the ship. Once you get to the island, you report to the shore excursion place and they will assign you a clam shell. First people there get the better choices. Take your receipt with you.

We're on an October cruise that stops at HMC and clamshells aren't listed on our available shore excursions, nor are a lot of other things there, such as parasailing, kayaks, etc. I called and spoke w/the shore excursion desk and was told the latter aren't listed because they haven't made contractual arrangements for that period of time yet. Makes sense for the actual excursions, but the clamshells? Seems like they would be available year-round like the cabanas seem to be. The rep on the shore excursion desk agreed but just said to keep checking back to see if they've been added.

Any of you more experienced cruisers have any other ideas? We REALLY need to get some sort of shade, as we'll be w/2 family members that are on medication and cannot be in the sun. They were planning on staying on the ship, but they just don't know what they'll be missing. Trying to make it possible for them to see this beautiful beach and water.

Any ideas or tricks we're not aware of? Thanks in advance.

A lot of beaches have umbrellas and chaises they rent. We live at the NC beach and our beach stores have beach umbrellas that come in an over the shoulder plastic case. These would be easy to put on your shoulder and walk on the ship then off to a beach.

If you're driving to the port, packing things like a beach umbrella makes a little more sense, but when you're flying these days, it doesn't.

I'm going to HMC in December and there are no excursions listed yet.

Although it is a private island, I'm sure they still have to negotiate contracts with the people who work there.

On Carnival, you can't book the cabanas or the clamshells ahead of time online. I think you can book the cabana once you're onboard, but for the clamshells, you have to go to one of the watersports huts and stand in line.

I now know to walk down to hut #2, since the majority of cruisers head right to the first one, nearer the tender pier (and lots of people want to be where all the action is, while I want to get as far away from it as possible).

It's worth the money. It still gets hot under there (and I was last there in December). We found a lounger that was broken and used it to prop up the back of the clamshell to allow a little breeze to get through.

Of course, if you have several people, renting a cabana may be the better option. Much more expensive, of course, but perhaps worth it if there are more people to share the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

When you arrive at HMC all the clamshells will be in the down position. You need a centre pole to erect them. Thats why you need a coupon bought on board or ahead of time to redeem at the beach shop to get your centre pole. Lounge chairs are free. 2 will fit in the clamshell.

Archived