Favorite NCL itinerary??

crusingici

As for itinerary, it's a toss up between our Southern Exotic cruise aboard the Dawn ** or ** the Spirit's repo from the Big Apple to the Big Easy!

Why? First of all, because we love the Caribbean. Secondly because they are extended cruises (a week just isn't long enough anymore) with great ports and a nice mix of sea days along the way.

I've got to have sea days too. I can't wait until the next time I feel the sea breeze blowing through my hair and the smell of the sea air! :)

As for itinerary, it's a toss up between our Southern Exotic cruise aboard the Dawn ** or ** the Spirit's repo from the Big Apple to the Big Easy!

Why? First of all, because we love the Caribbean. Secondly because they are extended cruises (a week just isn't long enough anymore) with great ports and a nice mix of sea days along the way.

I've got to have sea days too. I can't wait until the next time I feel the sea breeze blowing through my hair and the smell of the sea air! :)

We too love the Caribbean! We've been twice and have two more booked. I love the warm weather and the breeze, and the smell of the sea air. OMG, we still have 5 months to go!:( I'm still dreaming about going back to Italy, someday, maybe.

We sailed the Sprit out of NO last November. You will really like her. We are sailing her again Jan 4th, 09.

Hey, Hunyok, we are chatting on that roll call together - in fact I asked a question of you about dining...... since you are the one with Spirit experience! ;)

Not counting Alaska or Hawaii -- what would be your favorite NCL itinerary or even embarkation port?? ... and why......

Just curious where NCLers love to cruise -- does it depend more on the ship or ports for you to have a favorite?

As you can tell from my sig - I have my first NCL cruise coming up in January but am already looking ahead for another! :D

For me it always depends on the ports. I prefer more ports and less time on the ship. I love cruising both Eastern and Western Caribbean. I really liked embarking from Miami and I hated embarking from Puerto Rico (only because of the hideously overcrowded airport there. I actually loved the itinerary from PR).

Which sailing are you on in January? If you have never been to New Orleans you WILL have a very busy day trying to see it all!! Are you from out of state?

We're on the January 25th sailing, flying in to NOLA on the evening of the 23rd. We're coming in from Washington State, and neither of us have been to New Orleans before. I have a whirlwind pace planned for our full day... which we'll be properly fueled for with all the places I plan to eat at! :)

We're excited about the cruise and all the ports we'll be visiting, but did specifically pick this cruise as it gave us the chance to travel to NOLA too!

I'll be curious to see if others have the same opinion I do about cruising out of NOLA. I love the city, I really do. However, there was a certain "casualness" about the guests on our cruise, and other cruisers that left out of NOLA on different ships that week said the same! It was a big joke out on excursions, comparing stories of what we'd seen on board thus far.

I'll be curious to see if others have the same opinion I do about cruising out of NOLA. I love the city, I really do. However, there was a certain "casualness" about the guests on our cruise, and other cruisers that left out of NOLA on different ships that week said the same! It was a big joke out on excursions, comparing stories of what we'd seen on board thus far.

Really? How exactly do you mean? Were people dressed inappropriately at dinner or what? Of course, it won't change my plans. I'm really excited about visiting New Orleans... and this is our first real get-away without the kids in a long time. There is nothing anyone else on the ship could do that would make an unenjoyable trip.

On the only other cruise I've been on, it left out of Galveston, TX. I kid you not, there were SO many men wearing swimming trunks and cowboy hats out by the pool. I actually took a picture for my scrapbook I thought it was so funny. I think I actually saw one in cowboy BOOTS, cowboy hat and swimming trunks. Local flavor just adds to the adventure! :p

Oh, definitely nothing that will spoil your cruise. It just made the people watching more fun! Of course, if you are someone that gets upset about people dressed inappropriately, then you might see your temper flare.

During the shows and dinner, there were definitely some interesting outfits and interesting "dances" in the lounge!

Men in cowboy hats and swim trunks sounds kind of good to me. :-)

We have done this one 4 times on the Majesty and will be on the Dream at the end of July.

Its a real shame that this is the end of the road for this particular cruise. The Spirit will go to Dockyard but it looks like you will get a full day less on the island. At this point I'm not sure whether we will take that option or fly out and stay on the island since we love Bermuda.

Our favorite is also Bermuda but we've sailed from New York. This will be our fourth time going and we're really looking forward to the Dawn!! Were also going to be there when the "Tall Ship" come to Bermuda June 11 - 15, 2009. The Tall Ships will be in Hamilton to help celebrate Bermuda's 400 years of permanent settlement. Can't wait for #4!:cool:

For convenience and not having to fly, my favorite is any cruise that leaves from NYC.

However, as far as my best cruise itinerary so far, I'd have to say the Baltics from Dover. St Petersburg was incredible!

I last sailed on NCL 17 years ago on the SS Norway, and we sailed from Miami, it was fun all the way with some brilliant ports. This time I am sailing from Southampton in July around the med, the ports are not my favourate but I love sailing and my partner is a 1st time cruiser so his excitement is really rubbing off on me, we can't wait. I hope NCL is as good as I remember.

Not counting Alaska or Hawaii -- what would be your favorite NCL itinerary or even embarkation port?? ... and why......

Just curious where NCLers love to cruise -- does it depend more on the ship or ports for you to have a favorite?

As you can tell from my sig - I have my first NCL cruise coming up in January but am already looking ahead for another! :D

WEll, that isn't easy, but first I would say, embarkation in Dover, England and cruising the northern Atlantic. Next would be San Juan, but I don't know if they have any ships sailing out of SJ at this time. For us, itinerary is first when we choose a cruise (most of my clients feel the same) next is the ship and price. If you are referring to the western H, I would have to say the soutern Caribbean offers the best itinerary. For snorkeling and diving I would choose sailing out of NOLA to the western Carabbean.

Nita

Here is another vote for Texaribbean itinerary and the NCL ship The Sea.:D We had one of the best cruises on her. One of our most memorable snorkel adventures was in Roatan, on an NCL excursion that took us out on a catamaran. We where suppose to have a 4 hr excursion, but landed up being 6 hrs. Awesome!!!! Yes, we did make it back to the ship in plenty of time.

Of course that has to be at the top of many of our lists, particularly those of us in the mid west and Texas. I hope, eventually they will return to HOuston now that the new port is either open or about to open.

Nita

I would answer, but your terms forbid me listing either my first or second favorites! :eek: ;)

I've decided to go ahead and answer (even though my choices are prohibited) ;)

The wife really wants to do a relocation cruise from Miami, thru the Panama Canal, and up to the west coast.

I'd love to do the Scandinavia Capitols or Western Mediterranean.

Which means-before we do my choice we have to go thru the Canal ;). But I'm OK with that...Just get me on a ship & I'll be happy :D. Besides, we've done Alaska several times and did Hawaii just a few months ago (and we are making plans for a vacation in Lahaina :D)

The wife really wants to do a relocation cruise from Miami, thru the Panama Canal, and up to the west coast.

I'd love to do the Scandinavia Capitols or Western Mediterranean.

Which means-before we do my choice we have to go thru the Canal ;). But I'm OK with that...Just get me on a ship & I'll be happy :D. Besides, we've done Alaska several times and did Hawaii just a few months ago (and we are making plans for a vacation in Lahaina :D)

We did the partial Panama Canal on HAL a couple of years ago; it is really a great cruise, I recommend it.

Nita

Out of NYC last September, New England and Canada cruise.

My favorite embarkation port was Seattle because it was so easy. My favorite ship is the Jewel. My favorite itinerary is the Med to Italy and France. My favorite beaches were in the Caribbean. My favorite vacation is the one I'm looking forward to. :)

Out of NYC last September, New England and Canada cruise.

We're doing that one this fall and I can't wait! Any suggestion for shore excursions? Our ports include Halifax, St. Johns, Bar Harbor, Newport, and Boston.

7 days never feels like enough, but I cannot generally take long enough holidays for a 14-day cruise, so for me the 9-day Southern Caribbean was perfect. Other than Samana (book an excursion!), the ports are all great as well.

Ur one tuff cookie, Mbisson!! I am GLAD you answered!!! :p I would like to do a Panama Canal cruise as I think my husband would enjoy that -- not sure - he is not a real cruiser - his first was Alaska and we were both SOLD on it -- loved every second. He is going with me on the Mex Riviera - I so hope he likes it so he will go somewhere with me again! We loved HAL and I am hoping the Carnival Spirit will be ok with him.

I go with gal friends and will go anywhere a ship will take me -- so I am looking forward to trying NCL in January.

You've all had so many good suggestions -- I see there IS quite a variety of answers. I am really enjoying reading your opinions.

The Mediterranean has intrigued me for a while - but I've read that a lot of the excursions require a ~ 2 hr bus ride from the pier -- would any of you agree or disagree with that??? That does NOT sound fun to me..... hours of the day spent on a bus..... :rolleyes:

Weltek, I live in Louisiana - although not in New Orleans -- I took my first cruise from NOLA last November when I took my elderly parents on their first cruise. I chose NOLA simply due to driving and not having to fly - took Carnival (my first Carnival) simply because it was less than a week and I was not sure how my mom would do on a ship -- she's rather frail.

So - having said that --- it WAS a different experience - not that I am all that experienced in cruising - but....... :confused: quite different.

I can tell you were choosing your words quite carefully -- :D .

I was not sure if it was the large group of '*# raisers' who were traveling together on board that made that cruise such a 'party' or if it is typical of Carnival (I thought I'd been reading that it was not such the party cruise line any longer)....but these folks were rude and not just partying. :mad: My parents and I learned where most of the group would be and avoided those areas --- once we figured that out we had a wonderfully relaxing time on board and it was a trip of a lifetime for my parents and one I am so thankful to have been able to enjoy with them.

I think my DH would have jumped overboard though as he would not have enjoyed trying to avoid the rude groups of folks -- thus I am a bit anxious to have him on the Carnival Mex Riv cruise for NINE nights in the fall! I am praying we have a much 'calmer' group sailing from San Diego....... if you get my drift.;)

So- having said all of that, Redhead, you CAN have fun leaving from New Orleans. :D Hopefully the group on NCL will have manners and we won't have to work so hard to find some R&R amongst the fun times too.

The cowboy boots and swimtrunks sound like a HOOT -- true Texans thru and thru! I never thought about getting 'local' flavor from the embarkation port but I see how that might be the majority of sailors aboard..... something good to consider.......

SO -- where else do you NCLers like to go?

And -- any particular ships you enjoy more than others? I am so intrigued by the info I've been reading on the new F3 cat -- wow -

A compilation of most replies - I did not keep repeating some of the favs in the Caribbean:

Deep southern Caribean out of either Miami or when possible San Juan.

Southern Carribean routes

referring to the western H, I would have to say the soutern Caribbean offers the best itinerary.

9 days Southern Caribbean to Samana, Antigua, Tortola, Barbados, and St. Lucia…..I didn't like Barbados…The Dawn will do this itinerary late next year, except swapping Barbados for St. Kits

Barbados, and St Maarten,

St. Thomas, St Maarten and Bermuda

I loved Bermuda

San Pedro was the best organized embarkation port. And I looooooved the 8 night Mexican Riviera itinerary.

embarkation in Dover, England and cruising the northern Atlantic

The Best is Eastern Med: Turkey, Greece, Egypt.

West Med: Barcelona, Sicily, Positano, Sorrento, the Amalfi coast, Rome (including the Vatican City), Florence, Pisa, and Nice, Monte Carlo, Monacco.

Greece and Egypt leaving from Istanbul.

the Baltics from Dover. St Petersburg was incredible!

it's a toss up between our Southern Exotic cruise aboard the Dawn ** or ** the Spirit's repo from the Big Apple to the Big Easy!

I love cruising both Eastern and Western Caribbean. I really liked embarking from Miami and I hated embarking from Puerto Rico (only because of the hideously overcrowded airport there. I actually loved the itinerary from PR).

For snorkeling and diving I would choose sailing out of NOLA to the western Carabbean.

the Punta Langosta pier at Cozumel

My favorite NCL itinerary was the Texacaribbean that sailed from Houston. Sadly, NCL doesn't do it anymore

My destination is the ship.

New England and Canada cruise

Med to Italy and France.

9-day Southern Caribbean was perfect. Other than Samana (book an excursion!), the ports are all great as well.

The Best is Eastern Med: Turkey, Greece, Egypt. Excotic placecs with gorgouse beachs and ancient history with wonderfull food and shopping. Diffently alot more intersting then a noraml curise. There is somthing for everyone on this internity form hsirtory buffs, to thirill seekers, to beach people, scuba dive people, food, people, etc... And the shopping cant be beet I got the best Tiffanys nockoff at the fraction of the price in Istabuls famous bazzar.

WE are going on that itinerary in Oct. Did you write a review? Or post to a website? I'd love to see pictures or hear about your trip.

Archived