dressing for dinner

kjh25

This will be our first cruise and I have heard that men need to wear a jacket and or tie for dinner each night, is this so? Will a polo shirt and nice pants work? I am not talking about formal nights. Thanks:D

We just came off the Inspiration. On Elegant night, we saw everything from shirt and tie or jacket to tuxes. All other niughts, most men wore some type of shirt with a collar. I never saw plain tshirts and very few jeans or shorts (unless on teenagers).

I have heard that men need to wear a jacket and or tie for dinner each night, is this so?

Only if they want to.. From Carnival's website:

"Most evenings we have a Cruise Casual dress code, but there are those Cruise Elegant evenings one or two nights throughout your “Fun Ship” voyage, where you will have the opportunity to showcase your more elegant attire. For those who want casual attire for dinner time, the Seaview Bistro on the Lido Deck is open nightly, and has a more relaxed theme. Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

Just baCK from the Valor today..

I saw alittle of everything! For the evening meal time, I mostly saw the guys in casual collared shirts w/ a summer weight pants. For the formal night, I saw some Tuxs to guys wearing the same type casual collared shirts w/ a blazer over it. The gals I saw from capri sets to sun dresses. I did not see any shorts in the DR at night, but I did see shorts thru out the ship at night.

It was wonderful just to be comfortable in a nice sundress or capri set at night this time around.

I'll be posting my review in a few days. Overall this cruise far exceeded my expectations in all the carnival cruises I have taken.

Susan

This will be our first cruise and I have heard that men need to wear a jacket and or tie for dinner each night, is this so? Will a polo shirt and nice pants work? I am not talking about formal nights. Thanks:D

No and yes, even for elegant (formal) nights. ;)

Formal nights, suit and tie. Casual nights, no way. I nice shirt and slacks or khakis or "microfiber" slacks or a linen shirt and pants set or a nice polo with slacks, will be fine.

elegant night slacks and dress shirt, jacket optional.

Casual nights, jeans , dress shorts, khakis, etc are fine.

Bill

This will be our first cruise and I have heard that men need to wear a jacket and or tie for dinner each night, is this so?

No, but I always appreciate a gentleman in blazer and khakis on any night....just looks more classy in a formal dining room setting.

Will a polo shirt and nice pants work? I am not talking about formal nights.

If you mean Polo, as in w/collar knit shirt....that would be fine.:)

That will be fine.

I'd sooner stay home than wear a jacket every night.

Except for Formal Night ( or whatever the heck they call it now) a polo shirt with nice slacks are fine.

Even on Formal Night many go without a jacket. Many just wear a nice shirt with slacks.

Some day they will put an end to this silly concept that dinner tastes better when you are dressed up.

I'd sooner stay home than wear a jacket every night.

Except for Formal Night ( or whatever the heck they call it now) a polo shirt with nice slacks are fine.

Even on Formal Night many go without a jacket. Many just wear a nice shirt with slacks.

Some day they will put an end to this silly concept that dinner tastes better when you are dressed up.

even before the change in guidelines you'd see people in the dining room with jeans and polos on formal night. I don't see why they are going to start enforcing anything now, but they should.

Bill

My dha nd kids are wearing shorts and polos on casual nights. On formal, dress shirt and dress pants are what they will wear.

Im too lazy to pack more pants for dinner. I am throwing in a pair of jeans as we are going to Canada so may wear that if cold one night.

Archived