Wondering if my cruising days are over

Oregon D&B

Well I never expected to be in a situation were I was by myself, but after having my finance leave and marry someone else, I am now on my own.

I am in desperate need of a vacation, but I can't even imagine going on a cruise alone. And from the sounds of it, you end up paying at minimum, 150% more per ticket.

So, can anyone give any idea if I need to either a) bench going on any further boat trips for the time being, or b) find solution to get me back on the boat.

Now just D.

Get out of the house and find things to do....you'll meet people and perhaps (hopefully) find a cruising buddy. Heartbreak is never easy, but time does heal.

Try a solo cruise! You'll never know until you try it, might be worth the extra. There are many solo cruisers who would say it is. :)

I do know the feeling..had always cruised with family but have found that I am on my own again. I am going to try a cruise solo in August. Not to sure if I will feel ackward but I won't know until I try.

Good Luck in the healing process...it does take time.

It helped me to make a list of things that I had always wanted to try.

Your special person will come along

Jeanette

What everyone is telling you is true. If you can swing it, the sooner you get out there and have fun (yes even going single) the better.. It does cost more for your cabin but there are a few singles prices as you seem to be aware of that are less than 200%. I cruise all the time by myself if I can find a roommate and I tell everyone it beats sitting at home and looking at the walls. There are some posters here who will tell you that having your own cabin is really very nice and that is the only way they will go. I do enjoy having my own cabin and honestly the only downside is the cost. Perhaps you may have some friends that would go and share a cabin as well, occasionally I find someone who wants to go but not often enough. Hang in there.

Very nice comments from everyone. It has been almost two months, and at age 38 I am learning to live on my own for the first time. For those of you wondering she went insane. At least her family, all our friend, etc think so. Met a guy and got married a few days later. But none of that is important.

I have never thought about cruising alone. I hate the idea of paying up to 200% for one ticket. But then again, I always paid her way, and the transportation getting there, so I actually will be paying less.

I am just wondering if I would be better off taking a land trip, and waiting until I meet the right person to get back to cruising. We shall see, but thank you so much for all the support!

If you can't find a friend to join you, hook up with CruiseCritic cruise, or just get active in the Roll Call of whatever cruise you end up going on. If you meet friends online ahead of time, it will ease some of the problems of sailing alone. You'll have a meet'n'greet to meet the people you met online. Maybe someone will invite you to join their dinner table.

There was a single guy on our last cruise who in the past had sailed with friends. He found an intinerary he liked but none of his friends was interested in this particular cruise, so he came alone. He showed up to all our get-togethers - including the meet'n'greet shortly after sail away - so he got to meet everyone in a group. Whenever anyone of us saw him around, we invited him to join us. Sometimes he did, sometimes he didn't. Our group ran into him at the beach in St Martin & he joined us for awhile. He didn't "impose" on any of our Roll Call group but he didn't have to be alone at any time either.

Go ahead - plan on cruising by yourself - you may find a roomie before you set sail, or you may just have a blast on your own!

Good luck! Sha

... Now just D.

If your present user name is too painful to see over and over again, you can ask to have it changed. Click Contact Us for instructions.

User Name Changes: boards@cruisecritic.com

Please include the following:

- Current Cruise Critic User Name

- Reason for Requesting Name Change

- Four or Five Choices for New User Name

- E-mail Address of Record.

082502btw_prv.gif, if I remember correctly, your user name will change to the new one on all your previous posts too.

Please remember, all e-mails and Report Post e-mails to Cruise Critic are answered in order of receipt. With 358,568 members as I type this reply and e-mails being received 24/7, please be patient for any reply or action.

I hope this information will be helpful.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Cruise with one of the Singles (tour) groups and use the roomshare program to keep the cost down.

You will not be on a cruise by yourself you will be with a group of friends (at least by weeks end).

John

From personal experience, a cruise solo beats a land vacation hands down. I found that on a cruise people are much more friendly and inclusive. Perhaps it is because you seem to see the same people over and over again. I am basically a shy person but I find myself initiating conversations with people and joining in on activities that I would probably never do on land. Don't know why...

Anyway, the advice given earlier to get involved with the Roll Call was right on. By the time I stepped on board for my last few cruises I had already made "friends" with people from Cruise Critic. Actually meeting them at the meet and mingle was like reuniting with old friends. The worst part of traveling solo for me is dining alone. Since finding Cruise Critic and becoming active in Roll Calls, I have been invited to join fellow members for dinner and have had always had blast (and made good friends too).

I just wish I would have taken the plunge (so to speak) earlier instead of feeling the need to wait for a travelling companion. So go ahead, book a cruise, you won't be sorry!

PS: Just as an aside on my solo cruise to Alaska I met a charming man on night 6 (of a 7 night cruise). He lives on the east coast and I am on the west but through the magic of the internet (and cell phones) we have kept in contact. We were able to get together for a short cruise on the Monarch in February and are planning our next rendevous as we speak. So in other words, take a chance, get out enjoy life and you never know... :)

I have done 2 solo cruises and I am hooked all over again. I love having my own cabin and am willing to pay for the privilege. I thought I would not like it because I am shy, but find crusing the perfect vacation for shy people. These CC roll calls are a lifesaver and so is a table for 8. You only have to be lonely if you really want to be. There is always someone to strike up a conversation with.

Go for it!

Denise

Come on over to the Solo Cruising board for lots of tips and info on solo cruising. I do not let not being part of a couple keep me from cruising.

Roz

I have cruised solo on 7 cruises and I absolutely love it. I am a widow and I also thought I would not be able to have fun being alone. I have met some of the nicest people on cruises.

I actually have two cruises coming up in September, one will be with some new friends, but the other is solo.

Sorry about your breakup, but don't give up on cruising! You could try a singles cruise. It is NOT what you think. It's not a "meat" market or anything like that. I've been on 3 now. There are always more women than men, but I'd say the ratio has been 60/40. A singles cruise just means you will automatically be part of a group from 100 - 300 people traveling alone. We eat in a section of the dining room together and there are cocktail parties every night...IF YOU WANT. There's no pressure. It would be hard not to find friends in the group who share your interests. The ages on the cruises I've been on have been 20 - 70. With the average being about 48. I'm going on one in December that is 40+. It's an easy fun way to cruise.

Sorry about your breakup, but don't give up on cruising! You could try a singles cruise. It is NOT what you think. It's not a "meat" market or anything like that. I've been on 3 now. There are always more women than men, but I'd say the ratio has been 60/40. A singles cruise just means you will automatically be part of a group from 100 - 300 people traveling alone. We eat in a section of the dining room together and there are cocktail parties every night...IF YOU WANT. There's no pressure. It would be hard not to find friends in the group who share your interests. The ages on the cruises I've been on have been 20 - 70. With the average being about 48. I'm going on one in December that is 40+. It's an easy fun way to cruise.

I agree.

I've just booked my 5th solo cruise and I love it. I'm a 41 year old woman from Europe and these cruises have been the best holidays I ever had. It is so easy to meet new people on a cruise and you will not feel lonely, I promise you. I met some of my best friends on the cruises and even before the holiday, you can get in touch with them through these roll calls on cruise critic. I know it is hard to get out there again after a break-up but don't be afraid to try a solo cruise, you will not regret it.

ann

I went on my first cruise to "force myself to celebrate" surviving a divorce. Friends, cousins, extended family-- anyone!-- will jump in and vacation with you, it isn't a hard sell.

Keep cruising. Enjoy the excitement and planning. Travel creates interest. When you are ready to hit the dating scene again, you will have much more to talk about and perhaps even something in common with a future (less psycho) friend.

Hang in there!

I'm actually experiencing a problem similar to the origional poster - but for different reasons. I'm 27 and every year a big group of my friends would always go on a cruise twice a year. The good news is that all of the guys are now married....the bad news is that they no longer want to go on cruises. :(

For someone under 30, if it really worth going solo? I see the posts from "singles," but most seem much older than my age. I just wonder if it would really work for someone under 30.

I'm thinking about doing something in December...but I haven't "pulled the trigger" yet...

Ray

For someone under 30, if it really worth going solo? I see the posts from "singles," but most seem much older than my age. I just wonder if it would really work for someone under 30.

Ray

I think it's true that a lot of people traveling alone are older than 30 (but not too much, for some of us!). If you're looking to hook up with a young hottie, your best bet might be a cruise during spring break. But if you're looking to get away and relax, a solo cruise might be the ticket. Either way, you can meet new people and see new places. The difference is really in the expectation: to meet a love (or sex) interest on a singles cruise, or to enjoy socializing without the pressure of potential romance.

Check out the Solo Cruising board, and please let us know what you decide!

I agree with Knitchick, it depends on what you're looking for. For instance, if you like to snorkel or scuba dive, you can join a roll call and see if there are other like minded people your age who may want to share shorex.

Roz

I'm actually experiencing a problem similar to the origional poster - but for different reasons. I'm 27 and every year a big group of my friends would always go on a cruise twice a year. The good news is that all of the guys are now married....the bad news is that they no longer want to go on cruises. :(

I'm thinking about doing something in December...but I haven't "pulled the trigger" yet...

Ray

I hear ya. I am in the same situation. The guys vacations are coming few and far between and I would rather meet a girl on a cruise than pay to take one with me... I haven't gone solo yet, but I am running out of people who can go as often as I want to cruise.

I hear ya. I am in the same situation. The guys vacations are coming few and far between and I would rather meet a girl on a cruise than pay to take one with me... I haven't gone solo yet, but I am running out of people who can go as often as I want to cruise.

This made me laugh! Not sure if you are a miser or a genius, but I loved it!

Don't ever bring a girlfriend on a cruise. Unless she is the mother of your child.

• 2 weeks later...

This thread caught my eye....we used to travel together as a family on both land vacations and certainly cruises...back during happier times of course.

Last year I found myself crusing with my 15 y.o son, but without my wife as we were headed towards divorce. I tried to make the best of it, though it was certainly very very different and somewhat lonely. My son enjoys the teen clubs so, knowing that in advance, I booked a balcony so i can enjoy some relaxing/reading/self reflecting time.

This year my divorce became final and I'll be cruising very soon with my son again and taking my wonderful mother who has been incredibly suppurtive (as mothers are)...this is her gift from me...not to repay her (one could never repay a mother for what she's done), but to thank her. She had never travelled unless it was with us as a family, and I don't intend to let that change.

I know it will always feel different without my significant other with me, but I feel like I'm cruising for other reasons too. I enjoy the ports, meeting nice people, and who knows, with any luck someday I may find someone special who will join me on my search for the most beautiful sunset (although I hope i never find it).

Good luck everyone and enjoy your cruises!:)

I can tell you I am also 38 years old and a single female. I have been on other cruises and have one coming up soon and I am going solo. I love it. The first one I went not knowing anything about cruises and knowing anyone and I had a BLAST! This one coming up I was lucky enough to find cruise critics and started chatting with everyone on that cruise and we are going to have a blast.

You pay double but I tell you what it is worth is. Just book one and go and leave everything (problems whatever) at the port you are leaving from and have fun.

You are welcome to come visit us on the Royal Caribbean Sept. 20 2008 thread and chat. Maybe if you would like you can join us on the ship. The ship is Enchantment of the sea.

Come say hello.:)

Archived