Quick Glacier Bay Question

tapia

I'm leaving to go on my trip tomorrow. YAY! (ship doesn't leave until Sunday though)

I know I'm asking this question last minute, but I'd appreciate any response I can get.

I'm on the HAL Westerdam and the itinerary says:

10 AM - approximate entry to Glacier Bay National Park

1 PM - Lamplough Glacier Viewing

1:45 PM - John Hopkins Glacier Viewing

3:30 PM - Majorie Glacier Viewing

6 PM - Departure from Glacier Bay National Park

If you "enter" the park at 10, can you see things right away? The reason I ask if because I'm pregnant and I don't want to be outside for longer than I'd have to be...... Otherwise I'd be out bright and early waiting to see things.

For anyone who's been on HAL, do you remember the timing of when things happened? I can't imagine staying on deck from 10am - 6pm, so I was thinking someone can give me some insight?

Thank you!

(cross-posted in the Alaska forum)

We just were on the Westerdam for Alaska in May.

You would be surprised the number of people who do get out on the open decks way before 10 AM.

We have been to Glacier Bay several times and sometimes we saw more wildlife than other times as we entered the Bay. Very hard to predcit what you will see.

We were pretty much on schedule - maybe only a few minutes off.

There's scenery to see even before officially entering GBNP, and all the while you're in there, but I suggest you spend most of you time in the Bay just sitting on your verandah (if you have one) or at a table near a window somewhere on the Lido Deck, or in the Crow's Nest. Only plan on going outside for a while when you're actually at one of the glaciers.

Have a great cruise! :)

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. What time would it be good to get out there on the way into the bay to see wildlife? 9? 8?

I will make sure on following your advice!!

Thank you so much everyone for your responses. What time would it be good to get out there on the way into the bay to see wildlife? 9? 8?

There's no way to predict, really. We've seen some early and some late in the day.

There will be a narrator on board to annouce anything he sees, or reports to him. Just "camp out" near a window as early as you can. IMO, in the front of the Crow's Nest!

Do you know how early people start gathering in the crow's nest or outside? Or, better question--when is the latest you can come to still get a spot that is rightfully yours (no pushing of other people)...

We were in Glacier Bay May 19th. We were scheduled to head in at 7am, so we were out on our verandah around 6am. It was eerily foggy, sunny, and very quiet & beautiful. We took alot of photos and video. Every once in awhile there were breaks in the fog and you could see snow-peaked mountains in the distance, and the sky was an extreme clear blue. It was worth getting up early for. Other than a quick breakfast we were out on deck all day, right until we left Margerie. Then we sat out on our verandah. It was spectacular. We saw tons of calving and a few eagles. There were many other birds flying close to the ship. We were told we couldn't get close to the seals, so we didn't see any-apparently they were by John Hopkins Glacier, and we had to stay pretty far back.

We found if we stood at the back of the ship, along the wall or sides by the aft pool, the ship blocked the wind and it wasn't that cold. I was wearing khaki pants and a t-shirt, with a light jacket, hat, gloves, and scarf. Hot chocolate and pea soup is available out on deck and there are plenty of blankets for use. Someone actually swam in the aft pool while we were in Glacier Bay! -see attached picture.

We were scheduled to see 4 glaciers, but on the way out, we went a different way and were able to see a 5th (Brady), so we were glad we stayed outside and continued to look around, even though many others had already headed inside.

You'll enjoy it no matter what you decide to do. There is plenty to see; mountains, birds, ice in the water, glaciers. It is breathtaking. :)

ccIIIII.jpg.c5cb38badde0e3c86e67a709d5ccbbe2.jpg

Wow, that looks gorgous. There are a TON of people on deck. How long are you in glacier bay area? 6 hours? Do people stay out there the entire time? If you could pick an hour or 2 to be outside, what's the best?

That "ton" of people you see in that photo is on deck four (on the bow of the ship) and pretty much stays there all day - especially if the weather is tolerable. I suggest going up to deck 5 - it's a wonderful view and never as crowded. Just walk all the way forward and out the strange doors at the front. The ships photographer/videographer often hangs out up there as well.

Moriah

I found the bow to be the best location for Glacier Bay and my family spent most of the day out there. There are a few picnic tables to sit on if you get tired of standing. If you have a balcony cabin, you may want to move to the balcony when your balcony faces the Marjorie Glacier. If you don't have a balcony, then I think the best place to view the Marjorie Glacier is from the Promenade on the side facing the glacier. I preferred being closer to the water in Glacier Bay to being high up on the ship (better bird and mammal viewing). I did not think the viewing was that great from the Crow's Nest.

The Westerdam held a cookout around the Lido pool for lunch on the Glacier Bay day. We took our plates to the aft deck to continue enjoying the scenery while eating lunch.

The area at the entrance to Glacier Bay is a good place for whale sightings. So you may want to be out and about before you get to Glacier Bay itself.

The bow looks crowded in the photo but I was surprised that more people were not out there. There was always room at the rail and I estimated at most 150-200 people were on the bow or on the front outside decks. I wondered where everyone else was? Apparently, not everyone wants to spend all day on the deck so there was plenty of room for those who did.

Have fun. Glacier Bay is an amazing place.

Ship schedules may be a bit flexible, the weather is unpridictable, as is the wild life, so it is difficult to predict what time period would be best for any particular day.

We had some rain and fog and did not see much of John Hopkins glacier so we did not stay there long. We had much better luck at Margerie glacier and spent more time there.

We stayed on the Lower Promenade deck for the most part (and steps away from our cabin). It was sheltered from the cold and rain and I think the view was better than from the Lido deck.

I'm leaving to go on my trip tomorrow. YAY! (ship doesn't leave until Sunday though)

I know I'm asking this question last minute, but I'd appreciate any response I can get.

I'm on the HAL Westerdam and the itinerary says:

10 AM - approximate entry to Glacier Bay National Park

1 PM - Lamplough Glacier Viewing

1:45 PM - John Hopkins Glacier Viewing

3:30 PM - Majorie Glacier Viewing

6 PM - Departure from Glacier Bay National Park

If you "enter" the park at 10, can you see things right away? The reason I ask if because I'm pregnant and I don't want to be outside for longer than I'd have to be...... Otherwise I'd be out bright and early waiting to see things.

For anyone who's been on HAL, do you remember the timing of when things happened? I can't imagine staying on deck from 10am - 6pm, so I was thinking someone can give me some insight?

Thank you!

(cross-posted in the Alaska forum)

I have been to Alaska 3 times and have seen the glaciers from all sorts of places on the ship. One of the really good places is the rail by the "jogging track" above the lido pool. This is good as if the scene changes you can just walk around to the other side. Another good place is the outside deck off the Gym. This was great and sometimes there are chairs there too. We used that in Glacier Bay as well as part of the time in the Panama Canal. A seat by a window in the Lido Restaurant is also good. The front of the Crows Nest is great only you don't "hear" the silence in the bay!!!!! The prominade deck is nice too. You are closer to the water and can hear the ice crackling as it floats by. There, of course, are nice lounge chairs on that deck and the staff with wonderful hot pea soup come along. If you want to change sides of the ship here all you need to do is go in one of the doors and walk across to the other side and out on to the other deck - less walking for you. If you are showing your pregnancy, nobody will push and shove you and are more likely to find you a seat so, let people SEE that you are a Mother to BE. There is so much outside viewing space on HAL ships that it is really relatively easy to get a god spot and you don't have to get up before daybreak to "Stake out a claim". You will love it!!!!! Have fun!!!!:) ;) :D

If Your interests are wildlife and glaciers, specially whales ..... then :

When the ship enters GB they have to pick up the rangers at Gustavus Ranger station (entrance of GB), so at least one hour earlier they pass through Point Adolphus (best feeding grounds for humpback whales), so this is going to be from 8:30 to 10:00 am.

And when they exit and leave the rangers at the station is another hour through Point Adolphus and whales.

For glaciers, there will be enough time for You to go outside and have a great view, the best one for me is Marjorie glacier.

But all the time in GB is wonderfull.

@ Nonie: I'm showing my pregnancy to myself, but with my jacket I doubt anyone will thing anything of it at this point other than I'm maybe a little chubby. I will def being going outside, but I don't want to stay out all day because of the cold. So, I'll probably do it in spirts.

@ mozart: Do you think that going outside when you pick up the rangers is the time to go out & see wildlife or should it be slightly before / after that? (perfect conditions of course--I know you can't predict these things)

@birder: The bow does sound like the best place to be. I guess I'll alternate being out there for a majority of the day & then eventually get back to my own cabin (I have an aft balcony). Thank you!

@ Krazy Kruizers: Sounds great, thank you!

@ Moriah: Thanks, I'll be sure to follow your directions!

All of this great talk has got me SO excited to go! I can't wait to see!

Tapia :

Point Adolphus (Icy Strait Point) is just outside of GB, so when Your ship is entering GB is going to be one hour before they pick up the rangers.

And when your ship is leaving GB is one hour after they drop the rangers.

No matter the weather is, the whales at Point Adolphus will be there, and is a saying that a cloudy day is a perfect whale day, so go outside and enjoy the whales for at least one hour before entering GB and one hour after leaving GB (Pick up and drop off the rangers at Gustavus Ranger station).

I always have enjoy and see a lot of Humpback whales at Point Adolphus, for me they are the stars of a GB day.

take a lot of pictures.

Archived