United pulls out of FLL, PBI

Oceanwench

same with us! We just booked another carrier but considered UAL. It's getting to the point where we've decided that we will probably just drive to FL after this cruise--flying has become such a hassle. Hate using the extra vacation days, but it's something we're definitely thinking about :(

United recently announced an alliance with Continental Airlines. When I first saw this I thought that possibly Continental flew to FLL from Chicago and that this might have been an effort to cut down on redundancy between the carriers -- wrong! Continental only flies to FLL through Houston, New York, Cleveland, etc. We are stunned as we have, over the years, occupied many a United plane from ORD to FLL. I would like to think that moves like this may allow airline survival no matter how inconvenient that they are -- but I honestly wish that I could be that optimistic.

This article says UAL is the only non-stop from Chicago- absolutely untrue.

American, Spirit and SW all fly non-stop.

My research shows that Spirit doesn't fly into PBI at all.

Maybe you misread the article?

This is the lead: United Airlines is moving out of the Palm Beach International airport, taking the only non-stop route from here to Chicago with it.

"the only non-stop route from here" would refer to PBI.

There is no mention on non-stops from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale.

same with us! We just booked another carrier but considered UAL. It's getting to the point where we've decided that we will probably just drive to FL after this cruise--flying has become such a hassle. Hate using the extra vacation days, but it's something we're definitely thinking about :(

Same here. But I'm gonna bite the bullet in the future and just take Amtrak. After this year ... and for the next several ... I'm going to restrict myself to cruises leaving the east coast and just take Amtrak. To be honest, if things don't improve with fuel costs, I have a feeling the cost of flying will become prohibitive for the average person anyway. Driving or Amtrak may actually be the only option.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Wow - United used to always be our first choice. I'm thankful now that Delta had better connections and a lower price when we booked our flight to FLL for our Nov cruise. I just hope they hang in there until then..... :cool:

Are you talking about Chicago to PBI?

My bad. :o

I focused on the FLL cruise ship port and the proximity to the FLL airport. My bad.

Why would anyone want to use PB, when the destination is the cruise ship terminal, in FLL?

AA stopped flying from Boston to FLL years ago. They fly into Miami from Boston. That is when we stopped flying AA.

Now UAL is cutting FLL flights.......

All the airports are losing routes.

My bad. :o

I focused on the FLL cruise ship port and the proximity to the FLL airport. My bad.

Why would anyone want to use PB, when the destination is the cruise ship terminal, in FLL?

Maybe because it's less than an hour down I-95 from PBI to Port Everglades?

Maybe because it's an alternative when people are booking flights down this way?

Maybe because it's far less crowded than MIA?

I know people sometimes fly into MIA when they are cruising out of Port Everglades.

I have to guess *some* people use PBI also.

I know my family does. That's because I can pick them up easier! :)

The article ran in the Palm Beach Post and so of course the reporter focused on the *hometown* airport first, and FLL second.

I posted the link because I thought the information would be helpful whether a cruiser [or visitor] were flying into FLL or PBI.

Certainly the article has value to anyone flying into FLL for a cruise out of the port, if he/she planned to fly UAL.

We flew into FLL and out of PBI our last cruise and saved about $150 (vs. leaving from MIA or FLL) after paying for the rental car. Flight was at 5pm so we had plenty of time to get there. We hit the beach for a couple hours on the way to the airport.

My research shows that Spirit doesn't fly into PBI at all.

Yes they do fly to PBI but only to/from a couple cities.

Archived