Wristlet help

Hoyaheel

Crafty fashionistas--I need advice! I bought a straw wristlet last night--it's not quite what I wanted but it will do, since I haven't been able to find exactly what I want. It's flat, about 4X8inches. Beige/brown straw weave edged in black leather (that's the part I didn't want) about 3/4" thick. Burnished gold tone clasp. The wristlet strap is removable--so I can use this as a clutch, and I might. The strap is black leather, and that's too heavy (I'm wearing this with a turquoise dress that has gold around the neck, and gold sandals) Any ideas on a material I can make a new strap from???

If you don't just use it as a clutch, can you find a cheap necklace in one of those "accessory" stores (in burnished gold) and use that as the strap. you may have to use pliers to shorten and attach the chain to the purse, but it should work ok!

How about a pretty (inexpensive) scarf - you might have to trim and hem to get the right size? Or a pretty ribbon tied in a bow........grosgrain would be very sturdy and classic, silk hombre would be more dressy, grosgrain dots or stripes would be sporty. You could interchange several to coordinate with your outfits.

My best idea is to take bag to your local fabric/craft store (the bigger the better!) and ask a salesperson for help. Most of the salespeople love to sew and/or do some kind of crafts and can help. You can find cotton cords, metallic trims, jute, ribbons, yarn, embroidery floss, etc. If what you like isn't thick enough braid strands together (you can even mix colors, etc.).

If you don't just use it as a clutch, can you find a cheap necklace in one of those "accessory" stores (in burnished gold) and use that as the strap. you may have to use pliers to shorten and attach the chain to the purse, but it should work ok!

Yep, that was my first thought when I read the OPs post. Especially with the gold sandals and trim on the dress. I'd do a chain, definitely. Let us know what you decide to do! :)

I got a gold-tone chain at Michaels on Saturday (on sale $2, what a bargain:p ) and had my husband help me last night--attach the new strap (he's better with the pliers than I am:o ) I think it looks great! It's not the same color as the clasp (I couldn't find any "burnished" chains)

Bad news is--I think I'm going to wear a different dress to the party this weekend :( But I'm keeping the straw clutch/wristlet anyway. I might wear it to the rehearsal dinner on Friday night. My husband says it's fine with the other dress for Saturday night but I think I'm going to wear black shoes (the dress is eggplant) so I would carry a black bag. Still not sure--will try more stuff on. I'll try to remember to take a photo of the bag though!

Nice thing is--I can always change it up if I want:D

Archived