A Stupid Question I am sure...

mjl1960

Do all you people that have so many cruises listed live near ports or what? I know if I lived near a port, this would be a great thing to consider every time vacation came up, you really can't beat the price for what you get.

But being from the midwest, the airfare is the thing that makes this prohibitive. I guess I am jealous in a way, and wish that I would have discovered cruising earlier in life.

Yes living close to a port definately is a plus. We are in Georgia with a job transfer and were very excited about the thought of being so close to the Florida ports. It really makes the price of cruising much cheaper without the air.

Do all you people that have so many cruises listed live near ports or what? I know if I lived near a port, this would be a great thing to consider every time vacation came up, you really can't beat the price for what you get.

But being from the midwest, the airfare is the thing that makes this prohibitive. I guess I am jealous in a way, and wish that I would have discovered cruising earlier in life.

We live about 4 1/2 hours from the NY port but have done most of our cruises lately out of FL and have to fly in. With airfares going through the roof it looks like we'll either have to cut back alot or keep cruising the same itinerary so we can drive to the port

We're in our 50's and 60's and just discovered cruising a couple years ago.....we're making up for lost time :D

WE live in New Orleans and have never flown to a cruise. we have cruised from ports from Galveston(6 hours) to Port canaveral (10 hours). We could make it to miami (13 hours) if needed. Of course this was all when gas cost half or less what it is now! We are booked on the Holiday out of Mobile in November.

Between 1 hour and 3 hours we can make Port Canaveral, Jacksonville, Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, or Tampa. But that airfare savings has not caused MORE cruises but has made for longer cruises. Have not done less than a 7 day in 10 years. Not even that many 7 dayers, mostly 10 to 15 days.

But we do have to eat a hurricane every now and then and pay outrageous insurance premiums every year. Oh Woe..............:p

Dan

One of the reasons we moved to Florida was the ability to cruise more often. We used to live in Baltimore and tacking on 1500 for airfare was getting to be too much. So between much lower cruise prices and much much lower college costs in Florida we are happy all around. We currently have three cruises booked through the end of the year versus the one we would take a year from Baltmore. Cindy

we live 9 hours from Galveston and only discovered cruising this year. being 9 hours away we feel we must come in a day early so that is a added expense but it is much cheaper than flying...just wish we were closer...now with the price of gas it is so much more expenisive...:mad:

we would cruise more often if we lived closer to a port.:cool:

We live in one of the historic districts in Mobile. We're only 2 miles from the Holiday:D We have also driven to Tampa and Port Canaveral for the Legend and the Glory.

From looking at your cruise history, I would have never figured you for an Alabamian.:D

We're an hour away from the NYC cruise terminals & the lion's share of our cruises have been out of NY. We've flown to Orlando twice, when airfare was relatively cheap (in 2005) to board the Glory, drove to Charleston once to board the Majesty, & regretfully the next 2 cruises are out of Port Canaveral & Miami respectively. But for those 2 we'll be taking Amtrak from Penn Station in NY. I'm seriously thinking of retiring in Florida when the time comes...to make my cruise addiction easier to satisfy. :D.

Of 10 cruises (7 taken, 3 booked), 6 are NYC cruises since we're less than 2 hours from the port. Right now flying to PC for our Glory cruise in February doesn't look good; we're just waiting for Southwest to post fares, and if those are out of this world we'll be looking at Amtrak (I have a fair number of frequent traveler miles that I've been waiting to use) - or we're driving. After the cruises we have booked, I think we'll consider Pride out of Baltimore - we can spend the night with relatives the night before and drive in the morning of the cruise.

Archived