All Right - How Much Weight Gain on 7-Day Cruise?

All Right - How Much Weight Gain on 7 Night Cruise?  

192 members have voted

1. 1. All Right - How Much Weight Gain on 7 Night Cruise?

• Greater than 10
    • 9-10
    • 7-8
    • 5-6
    • 3-4
    • 1-2
    • No Gain/ (Loss)
    • Lost 1-2
    • Lost 3-4
    • Lost 5-6

Plagerized this idea from the Carnival board.

What do you estimate is your average weight gain/(loss) on a seven day cruise? Be honest. We are anonymous and can help future cruisers with realistic expectations!! I gained six pounds on my recent Mexican Riviera cruise. Should have been higher considering how much alcohol I drank and all the late night burgers in the Solarium!! :)

Lost between 3-4lbs. in February on Golden Princess. Watched what I ate, Did 2 mile walk every morning and took stairs instead of elevator lots of times. You don't have to be a glutton, and you can still enjoy the delicious, tempting foods. IT CAN BE DONE!!:p :p

I do Weight Watchers and gained 5.6 pounds the first week back. The following week I was down 4 pounds. I agree that some of it is water weight. Also, if you put it on fast, you can take it off fast. You just need to end the mental vacation as soon as you come home; not three weeks later because that's when most of the damage can occur.

Lynne

I just spent a week on the Explorer and very purposefully weighed myself the morning we left. We had vowed not to use the elevators all week and to walk as much as possible. We ate everything we wanted, but rarely at between meals and left the table comfortably full, not stuffed, at each meal. I still gained 5 pounds. Had to wonder how much someone who never excercises and eats everything in sight gains!

I'm with Happy. Water retention is the biggest problem.

My ankles swelled so bad by day 6, I couldn't get into shoes for formal night on an eight nighter last month. After 2 days home I drop the 6 pounds and back to normal. But I did enjoy the desserts, every ounce of them.

On my first cruise in '92 I gained 12 pounds in 7 days and by the second formal night, my dress looked liked I was stuffed into a sausage casing. That was when I did dining room breakfast every day and never knew that you could do Windjammer and only have a cup of coffee if you wanted.. Midnight buffets were every night...and we ate everything in sight.

Since then, I've never really gained on a cruise...pound or two that came off when we got back..but there is still something about that sea air that makes my feet swell and makes me bloated, even if I eat very little...some people have said that it is the MSG in the foods that are served...Whatever...I don't care!!!!!!

Oddly enough, on the first two my feet did swell up, but not the last two. And the most surpising was the long flight to Hawaii for the third cruise, my feet did not swell but they did when we flew to Seattle for the second cruise.

I did retain some water on the cruise, but it was gone at the end of the next day. The key I think is that I am aware of it and made a real effort to drink lots of water which they say is the key to keep from swelling. Of course I was also 50 pounds heavier for the first two, so I do not know if that had anything to do with it.

Just got off a 11 day Hawaii cruise. Walked my mile and did arobics everyday but 3. I only put on 4 lbs. I ate and drank everything I wanted within reason. Love the onion rings at the Seaview cafe on the Radiance!!!

My feet didn't start swelling until we hit Hawaii. I think it was the humidity.

Hmm, I have lost weight on both of the cruises I have been on. I didn't really watch what I ate (although I noticed that I do tend to have a lot more fruits and veggies on the cruise than at home), drank lots of sweet alcoholic drinks, and I did do a LOT of walking, both in ports and on the ship. And taking the stairs helps a lot too. The only difference was on the last cruise, I only lost a couple of lbs., when the cabin was on deck 6, and the first cruise, with cabin on deck 8, I lost a few more. I think it was more stairs to climb to things up and down!:D

I eat whatever I want, take the steps fairly often but not always depending on how many floors I'm going, don't do any "official" workouts... and I haven't gained weight on any of 3 cruises. I have had a fairly steady weight for years and years tho, so I guess that helps me.

On a cruise we took a couple of years ago, I went on a diet and lost 25 pounds, just so I could really enjoy the food. About two weeks before we left, I started eating normally again, (I said it was to stretch my stomach so I could really enjoy the food). Well, I did gain 10 pounds and still haven't managed to lose all of it. I am going to have to really work at it though, because we are leaving for Hawaii in spring. I love all that tropical fruit and the roast pig. :D

A long time ago I would gain a pound a day. Now I can get through a one week cruise and only gain one pound overall. I spend a lot of time in the gym, walk around the deck as much as possible and use the stairs instead of the elevators. I have also come to realize that although I can eat everything in sight, I am not really obligated to do so....:)

I lost 20 lbs before cruising....the low carb way. When on the cruise I cheated. I gained 7 of it back even though I was very active every day. But, it only took a couple of weeks back on the wagon to lose it again. I don't think I could say no to all those wonderful desserts that I've already paid for. I'm still low carb, but from Jan 14-24, I won't be!:D

I do WW since last January. I had lost a little more than 20 before the cruise in April. Took the stairs, walked a lot, drank those fruity drinks, and ate what I wanted. Only gained 2.8 pounds. This was a victory for me. I am now at a total of 30 pounds loss. Slow and steady, that's the way to go for me.:)

Will I deny myself on the next cruise? Of course not! Didn't have many problems with the dreaded swelling. I drink lots of water all of the time so I made sure that I was drinking lots of water while on the cruise, especially with the heat. I also live in a semitropical climate so humidity probably isn't a factor in causing any swelling as that is my norm.

Archived