RC installing peepholes in doors

The main purpose of speed limits is to protect other people from the actions of speeders not to protect speeders from themselves. Also, as I said earlier, many laws are written to protect people from the ill intentions of others. To me that is promoting the general welfare.

I think though, without speed limits, people are not only putting others in danger, but themselves as well. You're right that the main purpose of speed limits is protection from others. With the new suggestions for the cruise lines, it's just flip-flopped. In this new case, people would mostly be protected from themselves and some from others. I couldn't agree with you more that MANY laws are written to protect people from others, however, I think that general welfare also involves the protection of everyone, from everyone, even if it's one's self. I appreciate you sharing your concerns this issue, but I think we could keep going back and forth forever, so I'll agree to disagree. :-)

Archived