RC installing peepholes in doors

I do, tree farms and pulp wood used by paper mfgs are in no way comparable to old growth forests.

Dril now - tell that to the oil companies - they are the ones sitting on the existing wells and refineries.

Better to use other means that don't polute, not dependent on Sheikdoms and are renewable.

All this is completely off topic. From what I'm reading, it is okay for the govt to waste our money and give it away than to try and do some good. Ya'll pick up on this one bit of legislation, not realizing that there are many many other bills considered. Good grief!

So on one hand you're upset about killing trees and mercury in our lightbulbs, but on the other you demand cheap oil so you can carry on a lifestyle of consumption? Is that about right?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Where in the world did you dig up such a statement? Look around you, oh, you're in Texas, I would suppose if one compared the forested acreage in 1776 of what was considered the 13 original colonies and then compare to the 50 states today you might be ahead in 2008, probably pretty close if you look at most of the eastern states today and the loss of forested acres.

I hate to burst your bubble but TEXASMUNK is 100% correct. It isn't hard to verify it. I just did.

Kudos to you for your furvor!!!

But get you facts straight. There is more acreage under forest today in the US than in 1776.

Which facts are you questioning? Also, can you translate the rest of that for me?

Instead of jumping, go do some research....try any of the major paper companies for a starter. get the info before you get excited.

The paper companies; you mean like Weyerhauser? What research would you have me do?

If the government requires a peep hole - then there will be 50 pages of regulations as to size shape color etc. Talk about killing trees. There was an interesting clip on youtube the other day about the government's mandated use of these energy efficient cfc bulbs - There are 15 pages of regultions about how to clean up space in case it breaks because after all it contains Mercury which is dangerous.
This is typical of how the government handles things for us. They mandate the use of light bulbs containing mercury before they give any thought to where these millions upon millions of mercury tainted bulbs are going to end up when they burn out.

I think this bill is a really great idea. I don't really understand why people have problems with government assistance, especially when it is for the safety of everyone. I hate to sound like some of my fellow liberals, but stupid people should be protected, too. I absolutely cannot stand people that don't have an ounce of sense, but the jobs of the government and cruise lines is to protect every single person. Obviously, there is only so much they can do. If someone is climbing between balconies, clearly nothing can be done. Maybe the higher railings won't prevent anything, but in some cases, it could save a life. I'm not trying to start a political battle, but as I learned in my Political Science classes, a lot of the time, bills are introduced to show concern about an issue. I agree completely that the majority of issues onboard a cruise ship are due to stupidity, however, I would rather be safe than sorry. If I have to pay a few dollars more to have a peephole in my stateroom so that someone alone in the room and can see who may be knocking, so be it. I think for Royal Caribbean preventative measures like this look good for the company not only because it shows a general concern for passengers, but will prevent negative media attention and loss of revenue after having to pay a settlement for a major incident. When thinking about the costs of these measures, how much extra could someone possibly have to pay? The new measures certainly would be costly, but seeing how many people cruise on a single ship per year, even the most minimal fee would cover the changes in a short period of time. I understand what you all are saying about government interference and how we should probably be worried about more important things, but give the politicians some credit. They're working to make our lives better, no matter how "stupid" an idea may be. Thoughts or opinions? By the way, please don't flame me for these comments. I will be more than happy to have a mature, adult discussion even if you disagree with my statements.

Derek

I rechecked the Constitution, it does not mention protecting people from their own stupidity as a proper function of the government.

There are quite a few on here, I hope your daughters or wives are never raped on a cruise ship. But hey, can't legislate against stupidity, cause if they are attacked on a cruise ship, it must be because of their own stupidity.

:rolleyes: Typical left wing scare tactic.

I see your humor. ;)..:D

~~~

Just so your aware -

Royal Caribbean has faced the most scrutiny in part because of high-visibility incidents -- has hired at least two former top FBI officials.

In addition, Royal Caribbean has hired female investigators and counselors, put suicide hotlines in place and required mandatory sexual harassment training. In January, the company will begin notifying guests of a shipboard policy that crew members are not to fraternize with customers.

Additionally, cameras are being installed in hallways and corridors, though Bald conceded that those cameras were not being monitored.

Don't assume too much! http://www.spygadgets.com/peephole-reverser.htm:eek:

I see your humor. ;)..:D

~~~

Just so your aware -

Royal Caribbean has faced the most scrutiny in part because of high-visibility incidents -- has hired at least two former top FBI officials.

In addition, Royal Caribbean has hired female investigators and counselors, put suicide hotlines in place and required mandatory sexual harassment training. In January, the company will begin notifying guests of a shipboard policy that crew members are not to fraternize with customers.

Additionally, cameras are being installed in hallways and corridors, though Bald conceded that those cameras were not being monitored.

Don't assume too much! http://www.spygadgets.com/peephole-reverser.htm:eek:

If the government requires a peep hole - then there will be 50 pages of regulations as to size shape color etc. Talk about killing trees. There was an interesting clip on youtube the other day about the government's mandated use of these energy efficient cfc bulbs - There are 15 pages of regultions about how to clean up space in case it breaks because after all it contains Mercury which is dangerous.

I am all for cruise ship safety but this is kneejerk reaction to some high profile incidents that even got congressional hearings like when George Smith disappeared. Note to Congress - FIX THE FREAKIN PRICE OF OIL so we can cruise at a reasonable price.

Believe it or not, I couldn't agree with you more. They need a few pages with legal jargon giving specific, but not overly detailed plans. However, not every single member of Congress can be working on the price of oil at the same time. There are many other concerns in our country, and as I am taking more and more college classes, apparently Congress can't do anything to fix the gas crisis. It seems to be out of our reach, but I don't really know how believable that truly is. It can't hurt to always be working on some sort of legislation that influences people's lives.

I rechecked the Constitution, it does not mention protecting people from their own stupidity as a proper function of the government.

Preamble: We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The Constitution is one of the most non-specific written documents that governs a country in history. It doesn't say that they need to lower gas prices either. And if I remember correctly, the government shouldn't "technically" regulate the oil industry because of the free market system.

Does the Constitution say anything about smoking and protecting people from themselves? Like I said before, it's open for interpretation, but promoting the general welfare has to deal with the health, safety and wellness of the American people. I don't know your political beliefs, but that was a rather immature comment for an adult.

What I don't understand, other than the railing height, what is troublesome in the proposal? Rape kits? training for security personnel? peep hole? US certified physicians?

Like I wrote earlier, these are all things you expect in a US based land vacation. :rolleyes: I suppose the supposition is, if these vacations are heavily promoted in the US, and leave from multiple US ports, they should have to submit to basic US safety measures.

I don't have any issues with it in concept. My concern though is really about the what then's in regards to the rape kits. I think being able to preserve evidence of rape is helpful to the mental recovery of a victim who wants justice but what happens to the kits after the evidence is collected? Who has jurisdiction if in international waters? What if the country determined to have jurisdiction doesn't want to pursue the case? Who pays for the DNA analysis and where do the kits gets stored just in case it could ever be prosecuted and needed as evidence? How do they expect to ever match the samples? Do they keep a database of employees' DNA? What if the rapist is a fellow passenger? Can the ship play cop and demand a DNA sample from a passenger?

Having the kits available is one thing but a lot of other questions have to be answered to make them viable.

Preamble: We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

The Constitution is one of the most non-specific written documents that governs a country in history. It doesn't say that they need to lower gas prices either. And if I remember correctly, the government shouldn't "technically" regulate the oil industry because of the free market system.

Does the Constitution say anything about smoking and protecting people from themselves? Like I said before, it's open for interpretation, but promoting the general welfare has to deal with the health, safety and wellness of the American people. I don't know your political beliefs, but that was a rather immature comment for an adult.

And then they defined the role of government in doing all the things mentioned in the preamble. Protecting stupid people from themselves was not one of them.

While this is somewhat off topic, drilling for oil 50 miles from Florida is not occuring. http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5hwl7MBs14OAtZbu1YJe8l-X7O8vAD91906B80

IMHO, I think the point of the new legislation is to force the cruise industry to be more accountable. While I believe that there is already a reasonable degreee of safety on board, there have been numerous incidents in the industry that point to a cruise line acting in a way that suits it's own best interests rather than in the interest of justice. IE, cover an incident up so that no bad press leaks out which could cause a black eye for the particular cruise line. That's not to say that the cruise line industry is full of bad people with sinister motives; just that they may not be as forthcoming with information which may have a negative connection to their company and an incident involving their passengers or crew. In truth, I think these measures will add a marginal amount of overall security onboard, but will certainly force the cruise line industry to be more upfront about what occurs on their ships. Whaterver additional cost is well worth it.

I disagree. There are no attempts at "coverup"...there is a procedure that is followed in all suspected incidents....period.

What they try to do is keep the shock media away from it to avoid the feeding frenzy by predator news outlets and, from those "victims" who, by virtue of their own behavior have wound up in a pickle who whine, moan, complain, cry and try to sue the sox off of 'em. Media LOVE the sensational aspect of an incident at sea.

They practically wiggle like a new puppy to exploit any incident...and any of the people involved it in....

And then they defined the role of government in doing all the things mentioned in the preamble. Protecting stupid people from themselves was not one of them.

If the government was defined so clearly then why do we have a two party system that goes about government in completely different ways? And if one of those parties is dead wrong, then why does it exist? The way in which the government should operate is specifically outlined in the Constitution, but I still don't see your point. Of all the laws that we pass to protect people, how many of them are specifically stated in the Constitution? VERY, VERY few of them; Yes, they all can fall under a broad category, but I'm talking about everyday laws here. I can see where you're coming from about the government having to go out of their way for stupid people, but as I said in my previous post, the government has to protect EVERYONE. This is an extreme example, but why do we have speed limits? We are protecting people from themselves because they were "stupid" enough to drive fast and endanger people when they know they shouldn't. Again, it is a pain for everyone to pay the costs of a few stupid people, HOWEVER, the government tries to keep everyone's best interest in mind.

Derek

In an effort to answer your questions.

#1 Congress can impact oil. They can show up for work and vote yes to open ANWR, they can show up to vote yes to open off shore drilling.

DID YOU KNOW???? China is drilling 50 miles off the coast of Florida? They do not rely on campaign contributions from Moveon.org or the Sierra Club, etc,etc,etc.

By the way, while oil prices are soaring this week, Congress is on vacation.

By the way, while oil prices continue to soar, next month, Congress does on vacation for most of the month.

Why is Congress getting away with it?

They were, now an overwhelming majority of voters are telling them: DRILL.

Over the past 60 years we have literally created a "Nanny" society. You have an overwhelming number of people relying on thier income, their benefits, their retirement, their housing, etc from the government.

Listen very carefully! Every tax cut in the past 48 years has resulted in an increase in the tax base but one party constantly calls for taxing the rich! Class warfare!

Sit back for a minute, who makes jobs? Other than government jobs, who makes jobs? Companies/ Mid-sized businesses/ small business.

Got a guess who one party wants to tax?

Jimmy Carter taxed the luxury yacht industry. What happened? Caprenters who built yachts lost their jobs. DUH!!!!

We once were proud of this nation, now we are being told, if you elect one party, you might be proud again!

Who went to space? Who had the world's best medical system? Who had the world's strongest economy? Etc,etc,etc,

Drill, Drill NOW!

If the government was defined so clearly then why do we have a two party system that goes about government in completely different ways? And if one of those parties is dead wrong, then why does it exist? The way in which the government should operate is specifically outlined in the Constitution, but I still don't see your point. Of all the laws that we pass to protect people, how many of them are specifically stated in the Constitution? VERY, VERY few of them; Yes, they all can fall under a broad category, but I'm talking about everyday laws here. I can see where you're coming from about the government having to go out of their way for stupid people, but as I said in my previous post, the government has to protect EVERYONE. This is an extreme example, but why do we have speed limits? We are protecting people from themselves because they were "stupid" enough to drive fast and endanger people when they know they shouldn't. Again, it is a pain for everyone to pay the costs of a few stupid people, HOWEVER, the government tries to keep everyone's best interest in mind.

Derek

The main purpose of speed limits is to protect other people from the actions of speeders not to protect speeders from themselves. Also, as I said earlier, many laws are written to protect people from the ill intentions of others. To me that is promoting the general welfare.

Archived