Caribbean Princess Engine Problems

David21

OP I am sorry if you thought I was calling you a liar I didn't mean that.

I just doesn't make sense to me. It looks like the ship is coming in late and it just doesn't seem right that they would leave early and specially with passengers flying in. Again I am sorry I probably was too harsh but I am worried for my daughter as well. Again I didnt' mean it that way it just didn't seem like they would do that. Sorry again and please enjoy your cruise. I didn't mean that. I would never be like that. I'm just stressed out. Again please accept my apologies.

Dave

Not to worry...tensions are mounting on all sides!!!!

Your daughter will look back on this cruise with plenty of interesting stories, and we tomorrow-cruisers hopefully will too.

I second Alan...we were notified (on Friday) several ways of an earlier departure ...via Emergency e-mail from Princess, phone call from Princess, and a phone call from my TA. All stating the earlier, 4 pm, departure. Go figure what their thinking is. We will possibly learn more when we are on board.

Thanks for any updates you have given. Just wondering what is the latest that makes you think, however, that it will be a fairly late arrival? Does your daughter know (tv channel of map details possibly?) actually where they are off the coast?

OP I am sorry if you thought I was calling you a liar I didn't mean that.

I just doesn't make sense to me. It looks like the ship is coming in late and it just doesn't seem right that they would leave early and specially with passengers flying in. Again I am sorry I probably was too harsh but I am worried for my daughter as well. Again I didnt' mean it that way it just didn't seem like they would do that. Sorry again and please enjoy your cruise. I didn't mean that. I would never be like that. I'm just stressed out. Again please accept my apologies.

Dave

Guess we will all have to wait and see when it comes in and leaves. :)

Chill out your daughter is in good hands.

Between 18 and 20 knots she should arrive into New York at around 6:45 which would be around 30 minutes early. I am confident Princess has crunched the numbers and at this point knows what need to be done to expedite the arrivals and then again expedite departure.

Alan

Apology accepted. And, to complicate things, not only are we now scheduled to leave an hour earlier, but we're also now scheduled to get to our first port (San Juan) 3 hours later (4pm rather than 1pm). Actually, I too would be surprised to really depart at 4pm. My guess is that they moved up the time just so they can "shove off" as soon as the last scheduled passenger boards.

For whatever it is worth, we sailed on the CB on June 4th. We did not have any delays, engine problems, air conditioning problems, anytime dining issues, soda card rudeness, or hot water problems. We were in an AFT Suite and did not even feel too much vibration.

We had a great time, the staff were very good, and I wish that we were still on board!! I hope that they are able to fix the engine problem quickly for the people that are getting ready to cruise!!

Good luck!:)

I second Alan...we were notified (on Friday) several ways of an earlier departure ...via Emergency e-mail from Princess, phone call from Princess, and a phone call from my TA. All stating the earlier, 4 pm, departure. Go figure what their thinking is. We will possibly learn more when we are on board.

First I like to wish you a safe, relaxing, and most enjoyable cruise.

I received a letter today stating passengers must be checked in no later than 90 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.

I hope all who are sailing on July 1st have been informed on this as well.

~~~~~~~~~

What is baffling to me is

Dave stated he has been on over 70 cruises and he is worried about his daughter feeling a little rocking motion? :rolleyes:

I have been on a cruise during a hurricane, I have been on a ship that tilted more than 45 degrees, I have sailed through tropical depressions and it hasn't stopped me from cruising. It just added to the excitement.

I personally feel the OP is making a tado over nothing.

Ship is sailing fine!!!

I'm sure everyone on board right now is probably enjoying whatever, having a grand ol' time, knowing their cruise is almost at the end and not biting their finger nails.

Again I am sorry - but I am very close to my youngest daughter with have a very special relationship (born on the same day) not year LOL and I always worry about her. I know she is fine. Like I said I have been through a hurricane and also a rogue wave and I found it exciting. But I daughter has always been babied and gets nervous easily. As a father who loves her I just worry. I know she is fine. I just don't like knowing my daughter is scared but I know it's probably not that bad.

The other thing is I said I am surprised that they are sailing early because between the rough seas and the slow speed they are doing I would think they would get in late. That's all. Again I am sorry if anyone took it harsh I really didn't mean it. I am no way like that. Yes I know she had a great time the whole time she has been emailing me and saying it's been a blast, food is excellent, won 200 in bingo, great tan, spent 1000 in Puerto Rico at the coach store she is in heaven. She just doesn't like rough seas. But looking at the cam to me it doesn't look bad but I love the

ship to rock alittle - you sleep better and you feel like you are on a ship.

Dave

Again please I AM SORRY!

LoraJ - Thank you I appreciate it.

I always love doing my "LIVE REPORTS' when I cruise and I was starting to

think maybe I should stop but I will still do them.

Next one is August 11 - 4 nights on the Majesty of the seas - 15 family members going - very excited and we also have the Explorer of the Seas 5 nights to Bermuda on September 6.

So anyone interested look for my live reports.

Again to everyone sailing on the beautiful CB tomorrow have fun and enjoy your cruise and I truly hope all your ports work out okay. I'm sure they will.

Thanks again LoraJ

Dave

Just be fortunate that you are on a ship when an engine fails and not on the plane:eek: . No one can foresee engine problems, it is a mechanical issue, just like when your car breaks down and you had no clue about it. No sense getting all bent over for missing a port or a shortened time in port, yelling at all the crew members wanting a refund. There is no perfect holiday so just deal with it and make the best of it!!

I beg to differ. After spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and getting the run around I have the right not to just smile like a simpleton and make the best of it. The people in customer service can at least be honest about what is going on. I have a cruise scheduled for the end of July and they told me the itinerary was changed due to weather. Sorry, I'm just not that forgiving. I don't intend to yell at anyone but I'm also not going to just say thank you and can I give you even more of my hard earned money.

I beg to differ. After spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and getting the run around I have the right not to just smile like a simpleton and make the best of it. The people in customer service can at least be honest about what is going on. I have a cruise scheduled for the end of July and they told me the itinerary was changed due to weather. Sorry, I'm just not that forgiving. I don't intend to yell at anyone but I'm also not going to just say thank you and can I give you even more of my hard earned money.

Once again the people in customer service most likely don't know anything in the first place.

If you are that worried about changes in iteniary/port times etc then you probably should not cruise as these are the breaks when you operate a ship. A land based vacation sounds like it would suit you better in this regard. :)

Guess I must be a simpleton.

My DW and I are also two people who can really make the best out of any situation. We're leaving, with no hesitation, on the CB this afternoon and plan to have a fantastic trip. But, that said, it seems to me that folks in the travel industry (air, ship, etc.) could do a much better job of keeping people informed. I believe, and I could be wrong, that Princess is not talking about the engine issue (if that's what it is) because they are afraid that too many people would attempt to cancel and demand refunds ... and possibly with cause. I know that cruise lines have the absolute right to change itineraries. I have no problem with that. But, I'm not certain that they have the absolute right not to keep passenger informed as to the reasons.

I beg to differ. After spending thousands of dollars on a vacation and getting the run around I have the right not to just smile like a simpleton and make the best of it. The people in customer service can at least be honest about what is going on.

I doubt the people in CS are being dishonest, they probably just have no idea what is going on. Like any big organization, it's going to take a while to assess the situation, make changes if necessary, then communicate those changes to the people who deal with the general public.

You'll likely get a better idea of what is really happening by coming here, anyway.

We were on the May 26th crise as well, and there was definetely engine problems leaving Grand Turks, just off the shore. We were at the Horizon Court and felt strong vibrations lasting a few seconds for maybe 6 times in a row with a few minutes between each, as if the engines would not start...I felt like we would have to stay at Grand Turks until they fixed whatever was wrong and felt very happy about that but no...the boat finally left smoothly and everything was great after that.

I must admit that we felt a lot more vibrations on the CB than on the Crown last year. Maybe the sea was a little rougher at times, I don't know.

Still had a wonderful cruise & would go back on the CB tomorrow if I could.

:confused: hi all...we are on the repositioning cruise end october from brooklyn ending in san juan; we have our return arifare already, non refundable of course....and the vacation time cleared at work..now engine problems?? what to do, what to do? and who to contact?

the intinerary is so good, and the price was so right. and we would get to stay in san juan for a few days afterwards...which is one of our favorite places. please keep up the good work with informing us........

jeff..from penna...

:confused:

:confused: hi all...we are on the repositioning cruise end october from brooklyn ending in san juan; we have our return arifare already, non refundable of course....and the vacation time cleared at work..now engine problems?? what to do, what to do? and who to contact

:confused:

Panicking is pretty premature at this point, since no one knows how this is going to affect cruises in the near future. Contacting someone this far out is a moot point, as they probably don't have any better idea than we do how or *if* it will cause delays/port changes etc etc.

Just relax and look forward to a great vacation. :)

Maybe the blame shouldn't go to customer service but to the cruiseline. This is how NCL handled a similar problem from Cruise Critic:

Engine Problems on Norwegian Dream Affect ItinerariesA series of engine problems on NCL's Norwegian Dream has affected a handful of Alaska itineraries this summer -- in one case, leaving some passengers stranded overnight.

"We have had a technical issue in one of the Dream's engines for a number of cruises that is affecting her speed," explains an NCL spokeswoman. Sitka has been dropped from several itineraries because of the slow-down, "and we have notified the passengers on the affected cruises in advance of the itinerary change." Guests who choose to cancel in light of the altered itinerary are able to do so without penalty, she tells us.

The plot thickens: In the midst of this, Dream's already-altered August 1 cruise encountered a second problem with a separate engine. The repairs to that engine were completed during the voyage, delaying its return to Seattle by about six hours (a call in Ketchikan was dropped from the following cruise, and passengers offered a $300 per-cabin onboard credit). Cruise-only passengers who missed their flights due to the late return to Seattle and were unable to reschedule were given overnight accommodations and meals; those guests who booked their air through the cruise line were rebooked, and also provided with overnight accommodations and meals if necessary.

The initial engine problem still remains, however, though NCL is hopeful repairs can be made without having to dry-dock the ship: "We are trying to fix the problem as we go."

We were on the 6/13 cruise. We were in an aft cabin on Dolphin, and about 2 am (we were still up) the ship started shaking and we heard over the loud speaker for the assessment crew to come to come to level 1, zone 5.

From my understanding, that is part of the engine room. After an hour, we heard another loud speaker message for the crew to stand down. Maybe we too had an engine problem. I could not get a straight answer from anyone, other than my daughter who was in the disco and when the first announcement came over, the crew all ran. So it must have been something important.

The ship never stopped and maybe was a little slower after.

We were on route back to NY, so we never missed any ports. We did come into Grand Turk an hour later the day before. Maybe they were also having problems earlier.

The only thing that I know was wrong with the ship during my week was the air conditioning or lack of it. It was very warm all over the ship. Our cabin always seemed too warm. Not the normal. Usually you need a jacket.

I just booked the 5/17/09 cruise, I look forward to the changes and improvements they will be making.

newfimom

Hey Fran,

That scared the heck out of me. I looked out an hour or so later and we werent moving. We asked everyone also, never got an answer.

By the way, we were on the same cruise as Fran.

Archived