Playa Uvas or Nachi Cocum?

love2fish

Hello,

DH, me and two friends will be visiting Cozumel next June. This will be the second visit for DH & me and we've decided not to shop in San Miguel but to find a beautiful beach and snorkel.

I've visited the websites for Playa Uvas and Nachi Cocum and both places look really nice. I like the packages that Uvas offers but was wondering which beach offers the best in snorkeling? Can you snorkel right off the beach at Nachi? How much does it cost to rent snorkel gear? Is it unlimited snorkeling?

Thanks everyone & happy cruising!

Hello,

DH, me and two friends will be visiting Cozumel next June. This will be the second visit for DH & me and we've decided not to shop in San Miguel but to find a beautiful beach and snorkel.

I've visited the websites for Playa Uvas and Nachi Cocum and both places look really nice. I like the packages that Uvas offers but was wondering which beach offers the best in snorkeling? Can you snorkel right off the beach at Nachi? How much does it cost to rent snorkel gear? Is it unlimited snorkeling?

Thanks everyone & happy cruising!

Can't speak for Playa Uvas. Can speak for Nachi, as we were there two weeks ago. Snorkeling is available at Nachi, but even the people selling the snorkel equipment onsite will tell you that it's not the best to snorkel right from the shore. If you are willing to swim a ways you can get into some good stuff, but it's pretty smooth bottomed at the beach. Cost of equipment was $15 for the day. We rented one set for our group of 6 people and just shared it among all of us (in the end, most of us ended up drinking/eating a ton and not really caring to snorkel). The do offer a snorkel from boat option at Nachi where they will take you out to the coral... didn't catch the price, though.

Joe

• 1 month later...

Went to Uvas last cruise and it was just okay in our opinion. Reef Club Cozumel (since taken over by Wyndam) was MUCH, MUCH better, with great snorkeling, food and drinks, including BOTTLED beer. At Uvas what they don't tell you is that you pay EXTRA for bottled beer, name brand liquor, lockers, towels, etc. Te only thing inclusive about the "all-inclusive" at Playa Uvas is the beach, food, DRAFT beer and cheap alcohol. Wyndam Reef Club included ALL in the "all-inclusive". We kinda felt cheated or gypped at Uvas because we assumed all-inclusive meant "all-inclusive" like the previous year we spent at Reef Club.

So this year (in 29 days yay!!) we are going to Nachi. After reading every word of their ad at Island Marketing we decided on Nachi. Bottled beer and name brand liquor. Gonna forego the snorkeling for the most part and just relax this year. Here's the menu from Nachi, at the bottom are the liquors available...food looks great too :) Hope this helps http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/e_food.html

Don't mean to bash Uvas but it was just "okay".

Well, we loved Uvas. It was my first snorkeling experience and it was great.

I had absolutely NO problem with the yummy fajitas, the DRAFT beer, and DD loved her margaritas.

For $39 pp, plus shared taxi, we were very happy (even though it was rather crowded the day we were there). I wouldn't hesitate to book there again.

Have you read through the reviews for both here? Better beach (sandy) at Nachi, better snorkeling at Uvas.

I really liked the sound of Nachi, but I wanted to snorkel, so we picked Uvas.

I have been there 3 times and I absolutely love it there!! I can't speak of Nachi, but if you haven't check out playa uvas website, you should def. check it out. Playa offer's snorkeling off the beach and you can rent their equipment and do one of their packages. The use of their equipment can be used the entire day!

If you want to relax and do some snorkeling i would def. go w/Playa Uvas. whatever you decide to do I'm sure you will have a great time.

Went to Uvas last cruise and it was just okay in our opinion. Reef Club Cozumel (since taken over by Wyndam) was MUCH, MUCH better, with great snorkeling, food and drinks, including BOTTLED beer. At Uvas what they don't tell you is that you pay EXTRA for bottled beer, name brand liquor, lockers, towels, etc. Te only thing inclusive about the "all-inclusive" at Playa Uvas is the beach, food, DRAFT beer and cheap alcohol. Wyndam Reef Club included ALL in the "all-inclusive". We kinda felt cheated or gypped at Uvas because we assumed all-inclusive meant "all-inclusive" like the previous year we spent at Reef Club.

So this year (in 29 days yay!!) we are going to Nachi. After reading every word of their ad at Island Marketing we decided on Nachi. Bottled beer and name brand liquor. Gonna forego the snorkeling for the most part and just relax this year. Here's the menu from Nachi, at the bottom are the liquors available...food looks great too :) Hope this helps http://www.cozumelnachicocom.net/e_food.html

Don't mean to bash Uvas but it was just "okay".

We were planning to do the Wyndam next year as we will have my 28 yr old niece with us..she will want to do the water sports & we will want to relax.. we liked that they were included at Wyn...but am concerned that I keep hearing they don't wait on you there.. I plan on kicking back & relaxing.. and treking to the bar every 30 min or so for a drink is NOT my idea of relaxing... sooo is there really no chair service or swim up bar in the pool??

I can not speak of Nachi but we were in Playa Uvas in Oct and loved it. We kayaked and snorkled and ate lunch has some drinks and fell asleep in a lawn chair listening to the ocean. The people there are super nice and we loved it. It was very much worth the money spent. Cant ask for anything more in a vacation.

We were planning to do the Wyndam next year as we will have my 28 yr old niece with us..she will want to do the water sports & we will want to relax.. we liked that they were included at Wyn...but am concerned that I keep hearing they don't wait on you there.. I plan on kicking back & relaxing.. and treking to the bar every 30 min or so for a drink is NOT my idea of relaxing... sooo is there really no chair service or swim up bar in the pool??

Absolutely NOT!! The service was fantastic!! They were eager to please and never let my drink go empty, whether at the pool or out on the beach loungers.

Absolutely NOT!! The service was fantastic!! They were eager to please and never let my drink go empty, whether at the pool or out on the beach loungers.

Thank you soooo much!! This is just what I wanted to hear!:D Looks like we will be relaxing at Wyndham next Oct....

Thank you soooo much!! This is just what I wanted to hear!:D Looks like we will be relaxing at Wyndham next Oct....

Think you may be confused!!!:confused:

From what I've read about Wyndham, YOU have to go get your drinks...It's NACHI that bring them to you!!

Think you may be confused!!!:confused:

From what I've read about Wyndham, YOU have to go get your drinks...It's NACHI that bring them to you!!

You're right I'm totally confused...BUT according to Kingfish's post they had service at Wyndham... guess I will find out next year...

There were two waiters that ran everything out to us!!! I am not dreaming this up.

I believe you! But I did get an email from Island Marketing that said the drinks were self serve...maybe it just depends on how busy they are??? Now I don't know what to do...good thing I have over a year to decide...gotta have Free beach toys & drink service...how hard can that be????;)

Self serve?!!! Heck, I know where WE'RE going next time lol. Here's a pic from Wyndham...that's Fredda, Armando (the bartender), and Tina (a friend of ours). And that's one of the waiters in the background. BTW...the grilled grouper was to DIE for!!!

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2503676980098102533KTCTHl

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for your opinions. My guess is that we're going to Nachi since one of our friends has decided he wants to parasail and DH is thinking of trying it along with him. I was really looking foward to Uvas but maybe the next time around. Nachi still looks beautiful and peaceful.

• 2 weeks later...

Kingfish - since you've been to the Wyndham club, can you provide a link to a website? I couldn't find anything about it online other than the hotel information if you are staying there as a guest.

My husband and I are torn between Uva, Nachi and now Wyndham! I think we may skip Nachi because we want to do a little snorkeling and I know there's not much at Nachi off the beach. Was Wyndham really crowded?

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Nachi and Uvas are both wonderful places. There are a couple of major differences. At Uvas you can snorkel right there off the beach. At Nachi I believe you have to travel a ways in a boat. At Nachi, you can order off a menu and at Uvas you have 3 choices (if you get package). The entry into water is a litter smoother at Nachi. Also you can rent a jet-ski at Nachi and don't think that is available at Uvas. We had super times at both places. Depends on what you want.

Archived