Rhapsody question for the experienced cruiser.

surfoz

Hi

Today I paid our final installment for our cruise, yay for us!

I am now doing the online check in and have come to the final step, the Set Sail Pass.

In regard to payment, I have the following options.

Currency Conversion Authorization (Please check one of the following options.)

s.gif A. I choose to pay my onboard charges in the currency of my card.I choose to use Royal Caribbean International's currency conversion program. (See terms below.) s.gifThis currency conversion transaction is based on wholesale exchange rates collected from Bloomberg plus a 3 percent international currency conversion fee. My choice to have charges billed in the currency of my card is final.I accept that the exchange rate used will be the rate in effect at the time the amounts are charged to my card without further consultation. s.gif

B. I choose to have my credit card issuer convert my onboard charges to the currency of my card in lieu of participating in the Royal Caribbean International currency conversion program.(See terms below.) s.gifIf I opt for my charges to be converted by my credit card issuer, or if my card is not billed in one of the billing currencies listed, my charges will be processed in the onboard currency (USD) and the issuer of my card may charge a service fee for currency conversion.

What are your thoughts? Which is going to be the cheaper way to go?

My credit card is with which bank and yes they charge a conversion fee..

Appreciate your thoughts..

Hi Jeff,

I have selected for my bank to do the conversion, as they only charge 1%. I have read posts from people that are happy to go either way, so it depends on what your bank charges vs the 3%.

Even with us having 2% difference, it is only $2 per $100 spent with the onboard account - so it is not a major thing either way.

On my 3 US cruises, I've just let the cruiseline convert it. It has the amount in AUD on the itemised statement, so I know exactly what will be on my statement when I get home. Afterall, what is $15 out of a 4 week trip. So we ate Macca's one night.......:p :rolleyes:

I think I'll be making the same option next Feb/March.

Hi Surfoz,

We've sailed 3 times with RC and each time chose the B option. I have read on the RC boards that you get a better conversion rate with your bank/credit card, than with RC. I guess it could be seen as another way for RC to make more profit! It also depends on how much you have on your seapass account. We usually use any cash - US$ or euros left over to pay the account towards the end of the cruise. That way the balance is never too much.

This of course will be different when we sail on Rhapsody next April, when we sail to Honolulu. We will need the $ for Honolulu and we won't be needing US$ in the ports in the Pacific. I actually haven't thought about what currency we will need. I have just assumed we will use local currency???

Hi Surfoz,

Just looked up on the website as I have the same credit card and the foreign transaction fees are Mastercard 2.5%, Visa 2.45% .

Have you thought of opening up another credit card just for the cruise that doesnt have any foreign cash transaction fees then you could cancel it after if the extra credit worries you. I know of credit cards- not through a bank (one with bright orange logo colours) that doesnt charge any fees for that service and have a low interest rate too !

Thats what I did and only use it for any international transactions so I dont get extra charges + the conversion rate is same as banks too.

Hope you enjoy the Rhapsody.

I'll leave it in good condition for you !!;)

Cheers,

Fiona

:)

Hi Surfoz,

I know of credit cards- not through a bank (one with bright orange logo colours) that doesnt charge any fees for that service and have a low interest rate too !

hi Fiona,

I think the rules of the forum don't allow us to mention or recommend particular travel agents, but I don't think there would be a problem mentioning a particular credit card that you have found has good benefits. Please (anyone) correct me if I am wrong.

I am curious which card has a bright orange logo!! :):)

Evon.

Archived