Coffee Pot

Chesie

Has anyone brought a 2/4 cup coffeepot on board to use in their room? We only drink coffee first thing in the morning and maybe a cup at night. Doesn't seem like the coffee card would be cost effective for us and "syrup" coffee doesn't sound too appetizing!

Thanks!!

Chesie

Just returned from the Caribbean Princess today and the coffee was fine. We ordered room service every day and our order was delivered on time each morning. We also purchased the coffee card and used it 8 times. The specialty coffee drinks, especially the iced mocha late, was great. The coffee card can be used in several bars and in all the dining rooms. It can be used on future cruises and never expires.

Has anyone brought a 2/4 cup coffeepot on board to use in their room? We only drink coffee first thing in the morning and maybe a cup at night. Doesn't seem like the coffee card would be cost effective for us and "syrup" coffee doesn't sound too appetizing!

Thanks!!

Chesie

We take a small travel coffee maker with us on every cruise. Usually, just the one cup at a time one that has no warming plate and automatic shut off, for safety sake.

I agree on the quality of ships coffee, neither of us can stand the syrup stuff they serve, and I don't think they would appreciate me going to the coffee bar in my robe and slippers when I first wake up. ;)

I have brought a full size coffee maker on the majority of my cruises. We LOVED having a HOT, Good cup of coffee every morning on the balcony, especially in Alaska. Neither the room service coffee nor the syrup on board was remotely related to a good cup of hot coffee. I did order breakfast in the room every morning and wrote 1/2 & 1/2 on the slip so we would have it with the coffee.

We take a small travel pot with us and fresh-ground coffee as well.

Yeah - we're coffee snobs and admit it. Just "fine" coffee is not fine by us. Even though Princess has decent coffee in the dining rooms and at the coffee bars, the buffet coffee and room service coffee is not good at all.

Now - I don't want to start coffee wars here. If people like their coffee the way Princess serves it, great. But, if others (like us) want to bring our own pot and grounds so we get a cup of coffee just the way we like it, that's great too. There are no losers here.

Once on the ship, we let our room steward know we want a coffee service tray left each night. They leave cups, saucers, cream, sugar, spoons... etc. It works out well.

Nori & Hunter

We take our travel coffee maker with us on every cruise. It brews one or two servings in its own thermal mugs. These were especially nice on glacier days in Alaska and fjord cruising in New Zealand. I brought along a bottle of Baileys Irish Cream and we had a nice hot beverage each morning.

Thank you everyone! I am trying to prevent one of us running out in the morning to bring back coffee. We are very early risers and would enjoy a cup or two on the balcony before heading out to breakfast and in the evening brew a cup of tea in the room.

It's nice to know the steward will bring a "coffee tray" with all the fixins with fresh cups.

Off I go shopping for a pot!

Chesie

I'm really surprised that Princess would even allow passengers to use coffee makers in their cabins! :eek:

Most cruise lines prohibit the use of coffee makers in passengers' cabins for the same reason they prohibit irons & candles; they're a fire hazard.

I'm really surprised that Princess would even allow passengers to use coffee makers in their cabins! :eek:

Most cruise lines prohibit the use of coffee makers in passengers' cabins for the same reason they prohibit irons & candles; they're a fire hazard.

The safety coffeemakers without a warming tray are no more dangerous than a curling iron. ;)

We don't go anywhere without our coffee maker! Neither one of us can start our day without a GOOD cup of coffee. The one we usually bring is a 4 cup version with a warming plate on the bottom. I try to remember to unplug it every morning and the couple days I forgot, the room steward did it for me. They must be trained to watch for this. Everybody feels stronglyly about certain things and coffee is one of those thing for us. Just a hint - The coffee that is available in the buffet rooms works great (for us anyway) for iced coffee. We like ours with a lot of cream and sugar anyway so almost every afternoon we headed to the buffet and loaded up a tall glass with ice, cream and sugar and a little bit of their ready made coffee - not bad at all in a pinch!! And FREE!!

We brought a coffee maker and coffee that brewed into 2 thermal mugs on our first princess cruise. We gave it to our cabin steward on the last day, and he was very excited to have it to use for tea. This past cruise we did not bring one because of baggage restrictions and travel prior to the cruise. We ordered room service coffee each day. It was not as good as what we made, but it was ok. The coffee in the buffets is awful, but the brewed coffee in the dining rooms seemed better than it was on our last cruise.

If you have the ability, we loved having our coffee maker and thermal mugs. However, as people who love good coffee, we made do with princess coffee and lived to tell the tale!:)

I had no idea the coffee pots were such a "must have" by so many. Thank you everyone for your input. It's good to know the steward takes care of things. I'm the daughter of a firefighter so it has been instilled in me all my life about fire safety. You can be sure that baby will be unplugged when not in use!! This is our first Princess cruise and pretty excited.:D

WeBeGone... we'll be on the same port calls as you were last November on the Star, but on the Grand!

Thanks!!

Chesie

I too enjoy my morning wake-up coffee so I bring my own little water boiling pot & use my Melitta cone & filter to make my own delicious drip coffee which I bring. I hate Princess coffee. I don't know where they get it from but it is so gross. It must be the cheap rejects from an inferior coffee manufacturer.

We bring two French Press mugs and a bag of Starbucks. Once when we were on the deck just below the buffet DH would run upstairs and bring back a pot of hot water, but otherwise we bring a large hotpot. I got the idea here on the boards and got mine through liquidplanet.com and they sometimes have sales on the mugs. They're located in a tiny town in western Montana.

There is nothing selfish about bringing a small coffee maker. I did this the last time on a Princess cruise due to the generally horrible coffee (and I really am not a coffee snob) and I am even fine with McDonalds coffee. The first time I took a Princess cruise, people told me how bad the coffee was before boarding. I wish I had taken my little coffee maker with me. On my Alaska cruise next week, I will be bringing it again with me and buying the coffee card. Anita

And what would happen if both of you forgot to unplug it. You are endangering yourself and others with your selfishness.

We don't take a coffee pot but we do take a small travel kettle. We are from the UK and must have our early morning tea!! It has a safety cutout switch and it is not a fire hazard in any way. If there had been a problem with it, I am sure the steward would have 'confiscated' it but in fact, on one occasion when I forgot to, he washed and dried our coffee mugs. I would think that two adults can be trusted to switch off their coffee pot and would in no way endanger the ship.

I hate dragging any extras along with us in our baggage including coffee supplies.

We returned from the Grand and the coffee was fine and the cream was fresh.

We ordered a coffee tray each morning (which always arrived right on time) and sipped it on the balcony as we pulled into ports. Not Tim Horton's but the convenience made up for it!

My my, such harsh language to us coffee lovers! Maybe he didn't have his/her first cup today! Just to say, I'm not stupid and I'm far from selfish and neither are any of you on this thread - I guess I never realized the "fire hazard" this little coffee pot was. We are careful with it - don't worry - ours shuts off automatically also - but I agree it is best to unplug it after using. We'll continue to bring it along on trips and enjoy it every morning. Have a great day!! Now where's the nearest Starbucks!!

NCL provides coffee makers in cabins and espresso machines in suites.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=76&pos=4

NCL provides coffee makers in cabins and espresso machines in suites.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/displayimage.php?album=76&pos=4

And my understanding is that P&O also provides coffee and tea making facilities in each stateroom. I know that when we first sailed on the Sea Princess after it returned from P&O, they were still provided in our mini suite. It was delightful to have it right there when WE wanted coffee or tea.

So, if it is such a fire hazzard, why do some cruise lines provide them and others not?

Most hotels, even the high rise ones, have coffee makers in their rooms. OMG, they even have irons and Ironing boards. :eek:

Smokers are much more of a hazard than a coffemaker, IMHO.

Yes, but hotels do not move! A moving vessel can turn dangerous very quickly (ie: the "Crown list") For safety sake, nearly every amenity in your cabin is fixed to prevent flying objects in the event of high seas... which we all know can happen at any time. While I'm not opposed to in-room coffee making, it obviously should be done with caution.

And yes..... totally agree with your last line!

Yes, but hotels do not move! A moving vessel can turn dangerous very quickly (ie: the "Crown list") For safety sake, nearly every amenity in your cabin is fixed to prevent flying objects in the event of high seas... which we all know can happen at any time. While I'm not opposed to in-room coffee making, it obviously should be done with caution.

And yes..... totally agree with your last line!

When a passenger boards a ship and enters his/her stateroom, none of his/her possessions are fixed. Not our bottle of wine, our wine glasses, our water glasses, our room service dishes, camera, binoculars .... nothing. Personally, I would rather a lightweight coffepot hit me in the head than a bottle of wine. :eek:

Archived