How does going early work?

sarahemarie

Excuse the possibly stupid question here...we are taking a baltic cruise next May that leaves from Dover. We haven't booked yet but the decision is made. We want to go explore London a little bit early (2-3 days). I've been told by a friend that I can still arrange for airfare, hotel and transfers etc. directly through the cruiseline (Ncl) for a few days early. How does that work? Can you go any time (with reason of course), and still do airfare and transfers through them? And can you just book a hotel for 2 nights early through them as well? Just a little fuzzy as to how it all works. I tried to look on the NCL website, but didn't get too far with that. I will probably just end up calling, but would be grateful for any advice from experts on here.

Anyway, thanks in advance for your help!

You may want to consider arranging air, hotel, and transportation to port on your own or through a travel agency; often you pay more by booking it directly with the cruise line and sometimes receive less in return (i.e. transfers often involve riding in a large bus and waiting for the bus to fill prior to departing).

I would also book those extra days and flights through a Travel Agent - possibly the same one who helped with your cruise. As I understand it - when you book the airfare through the cruise line - you don't have much say in when you travel and what seats you get. Also, you may get some crazy schedule involving multiple changes. I think the prices of the hotels the cruise lines use are outrageous - you can do just fine booking this part of your trip separate from the cruise line. I spent a month in London when my

DD did an extra college course - had a great time but London streets are rather confusing and the cost and quality of the food leaves a lot to be desired. Take LOTS of money !!!

Thank you all for your help. It does sound like it would make more sense to book it separate cost-wise, but good to know that I can do it all in one if I later want to. Then again, I am all about saving some $$$ if I can! Thanks again.

For cruises in the Caribbean and Alaska and out of San Diego, we always book our own air and hotels.

But when we first did European cruises, we did let the cruise line book our flights and we did use their hotels and transfers. We also paid the air-deviation to get the flights we wanted.

We have been to London quite a few times and now book our own air and hotels.

Archived