Travel Channel Special - Unfriendly Skies: State of Travel

SelectSys

While not necessarily enjoyable, the Travel Channel broadcast an interesting show last night tracing the recent evolution of the airline industry. It was on last night and according to the Travel Channel online schedule is due to repeat on July 5th at 6:00PM ET.

While not necessarily enjoyable, the Travel Channel broadcast an interesting show last night tracing the recent evolution of the airline industry. It was on last night and according to the Travel Channel online schedule is due to repeat on July 5th at 6:00PM ET.

I saw this last night.

I am glad I wasnt on the American Airlines flight that sat on the ground with no food, water or toilet after being diverted to Austin from DFW.

Bright sunny day with planes taking off and landing and those people were held against their will. :(

Thankfully the pilot had enough and taxied the plane toward the terminal. Only then did someone decide to do something.

Too bad it took 9 hours of sitting on the tarmac.

It would seem to me, and this is only MY opinion, that when a gate became available the plane could have pulled up and let the people off quickly and then moved away from the gate again. I have personally seen this done by American Airlines in DFW and Albuquerque. So I know they can do it. Why it wasn't done in this case I don't know.

Apparently the FAA has strict rules about when stairs may be used.

That one person had it right when she said that airlines no longer have to provide customer service because they don't have to.

It is a shame that the once "friendly skies" are not as friendly any longer.

I'm sure we each can think of an experience where we were not treated very well. But at the same time we have had customer services reps treat us excellent. I'm certain that they are having an awful time with the changes too. It makes one stop and think about flying. If you were to book air for future cruises you cannot be sure that the flights won't change. The ports close to home, in our case, Baltimore, NJ & VA are cruises that we are looking into.

I saw it too. Personally I thought that the show provided no new information or insight, rather just a re-packaging of existing information. I flipped away after the first 15 minutes.

quote=Cruisin' Ron VA I saw this last night.

I am glad I wasnt on the American Airlines flight that sat on the ground with no food, water or toilet after being diverted to Austin from DFW.

Well, I can do without food and water for quite some time, but I have to tell you if there was nowhere to go to the bathroom that would be a disaster. Ever since this incident, and a few others last year, I carry some quart size heavy duty zip lock bags so if I become desperate there is a solution. Perhaps not the best in the world, but it beats most of the alternatives that come to mind.

Archived