Onboard Announcements

cyberfilly

How fequent are the on-board announcements and how annoying are they? Is there a speaker in every stateroom and if so, is there any way to turn it off if the announcements are bothersome? Thanks!

on our Conquest cruise we had hardly any announcements - the ones we did have I could barley understand what was being said. As far as the stateroom - not in ours - we had to open the door during announcements.

When I was on the Triumph a few years ago, announcements from the CD were infrequent and could only be heard in public areas.

The captain made 1 or 2 announcemnts and they could be heard everywhere. I do not think you can adjust the volume in the cabins.

I would say you will hear the announcements during embarkation and then maybe once per day after that. From the volume levels of the announcements I would guess there are not speakers in the rooms only in the hallway.

I do not find them annoying, but them again it would be pretty hard to annoy me when I am on a cruise ship!:D

We didn't have a speaker in the room but they would mute the tv during the announcements. One time dh asked me why I turned the sound off but it was an announcement. We had an announcement around 10 or 11 on sea days but I was already out and about by then and then usually we'd have one right before sailaway from a port. We had one at night once and we were in the piano bar and they muted his mic but we never heard what was being said.

The only time I was annoyed by announcements was on Legend.

They would mute the TV in the cabin, but you couldn't hear the announcement. Leave the TV alone or let us hear the announcement....jeesh.

The only annoucements we heard in our room (from the hall speaker) were a couple on one day when they were trying to get a hold of a lady on our floor. They needed her at the pursers desk. There was one other but cant' remember what it was for. We had to open the door to understand them, they weren't loud enough to disturb you.

They didn't even announce the debarkement calls on our deck. We had to go up to lido to hear them so we'd know when to go down.

The only time the announcements come into the cabin is if it is an emergency or the daily noonish or thereabouts announcement from the Captain regarding location, (longitude, latitude) sea depths, wave height, miles traveled.... etc. There are times when I wish the announcement would come into the cabin like when calling out the debarkation colours/numbers or during commentary such as when cruising the Panama Canal. Otherwise I find the announcements few and easy ignored, not a bother. (Some find any announcement a bother it seems, even the ones from the Captain) I certainly have never heard the situation some complain about, the so called “endless loud annoying announcements”.

Regarding the announcement causing the volume turning down on the TV… now that I think about it, the cabins do have a TV… I had no idea they even would come on… I thought the TV were the fake kind you see in furniture stores. People actually watch TV while on a cruise??!?? … Wow, who would have thunk it….

The only time the announcements come into the cabin is if it is an emergency or the daily noonish or thereabouts announcement from the Captain regarding location, (longitude, latitude) sea depths, wave height, miles traveled.... etc. There are times when I wish the announcement would come into the cabin like when calling out the debarkation colours/numbers or during commentary such as when cruising the Panama Canal. Otherwise I find the announcements few and easy ignored, not a bother. (Some find any announcement a bother it seems, even the ones from the Captain) I certainly have never heard the situation some complain about, the so called “endless loud annoying announcements”.

Regarding the announcement causing the volume turning down on the TV… now that I think about it, the cabins do have a TV… I had no idea they even would come on… I thought the TV were the fake kind you see in furniture stores. People actually watch TV while on a cruise??!?? … Wow, who would have thunk it….

We only had the tv on when we were getting ready for dinner and I usually had it on the channel that shows the ships location and speed, it had music so thats all I ever used it for.

We only had the tv on when we were getting ready for dinner and I usually had it on the channel that shows the ships location and speed, it had music so thats all I ever used it for.

Me, too. That, and listening to the debark talk while I packed.

Used to be the number of announcements on Carnival was one of the most common complaints. These have been greatly reduced over the years. It's interesting reading opinions now coming in on the other extreme!

As Rouge wave said, ALL routine announcements are made in the public areas only. Not in the cabins. Emergency or important information announcements are piped into the cabins and the volume CANNOT be controlled. Things about activities, games, sales, etc. ARE NOT piped into the cabins.

Dan

The captains weather announcement is the other one we heard. But we only heard it once. Guess we were always where the speakers weren't when it came on.

We did have a death on board but never heard any codes called for it either.

We didn't have very many on the Legend. Usually the CD came on with a quick overview of the days events. When we missed Grand Cayman, there were a couple announcements about that and the reprinting of the capers for the day. The Captain had a couple announcements about ship speed, weather conditions and so on. We also had to drop someone off in Cozumel for medical care on our way back to Tampa and they made an annoucement about that on our last sea day along with what time we'd be back in Tampa. And of course calling for the different debarkation groups. Certainly nothing excessive.

It's funny because there's one place that I go where the door sound is exactly the same as the announcement sound on the ship. The first time Mom and I heard it, we both just looked at each other!

We heard announcements clear as a bell in our inside cabin on the Liberty in February.

Karl with a K, cruise director, did 2 or 3 a day for things such as activities, onboard store sales, when the ship was cleared so we could get off the ship in port.

How frequent are the on-board announcements and how annoying are they? Is there a speaker in every stateroom and if so, is there any way to turn it off if the announcements are bothersome? Thanks!

On the Fantasy, the announcements are at least 6 a day, from the cruise director reminding everyone about ways the passengers can spend use their Sail and Sign Cards :rolleyes: . I think they are pre-recorded and as far as I know, there's no way to avoid hearing them.

How frequent are the on-board announcements and how annoying are they? Is there a speaker in every stateroom and if so, is there any way to turn it off if the announcements are bothersome? Thanks!

It depends upon the Cruise Director. I've been on ships where I thought he'd NEVER shut up......others, only a few.

The only time the speakers in your cabin will be used is for emergencies or very urgent messages. You will be able to hear them in the hallways.

I must be a little off...cause I always ENJOY the announcements! I love the sound of the chimes before they start...just TOTALLY makes me feel like...well...I'm on a cruise! Its part of it...and I enjoy it! Its kind of like when you are at Disney World or Universal Studio's theme parks...and every where you go...there is "dramatic movie type" background music playing. Just makes you feel like you're at Disney...and cruise announcements...and the pre-announcement chimes...just make me feel like I'm on a ship!

I must be a little off...cause I always ENJOY the announcements! I love the sound of the chimes before they start...just TOTALLY makes me feel like...well...I'm on a cruise! Its part of it...and I enjoy it! Its kind of like when you are at Disney World or Universal Studio's theme parks...and every where you go...there is "dramatic movie type" background music playing. Just makes you feel like you're at Disney...and cruise announcements...and the pre-announcement chimes...just make me feel like I'm on a ship!

Me too :) Kind of like muster drill is the official start of my cruise so it doesn't bother me one iota.

I too never found anything annoying about the announcements. I do recall announcements of different days activities, location, time changes, having to get on up in St. Thomas even if you had no excursions booked, etc. ships status, location, travel speed. I would also say without opening the cabin door I knew they were saying something but muffled so that I couldn't really understand anything from inside the cabin, had to go out into the hallway.

Last week on the Liberty is the only time out of 6 cruises that I was annoyed by announcements.

I think its because the cruise director, Steve, talked so loud and so fast you could not understand him. But, he said that was his last sailing on the Liberty.

And on sea days his announcements were at 8AM and you could clearly hear them in your cabin..........very loud!

Other than that little thing............awesome ship and cruise!

I like to hear them also except by the time you figure out there is one and get to open the door it's over and you didn't hear it!

I remember on the Queen Elizabeth in 1964 the steward would walk around before meals and play a tune on a xylophone. I'll never forget that tune, he played over and over three times a day for six days.

Archived