Is late May a good time to go to ....

Weather is as unpredictable in Alaska as it is in most parts of the world and Alaska is so vast that there are really a number of different weather regions. If you superimpose a map of Alaska over the map of the lower 48 states, you can see how vast an area you are talking about and since the weather in the mid-west US can be quite different from the weather in the southeast or the northeast or the west coast on any given day, the same holds true for various locations in Alaska. We have been in Alaska at approximately the same time of year that you are asking about and we had snow flurries in Denali and were in short sleeves in Anchorage. In Glacier Bay we needed hats and gloves when we were out on deck and in Ketchikan we encountered warm rain. When we drove to Portage Glacier from Anchorage the visitor's center was still closed and the area was still snowed in. However, the days are getting longer as you approach the summer solstice in June so you will begin having more hours of daylight to enjoy Alaska's terrific scenery and wildlife. If your ship has a covered pool, you can swim regardless of the weather outside. Neither you nor I can control the weather so relax and enjoy your trip. Chances are your visit will prompt you to want to return again and again.:)

As for airfare, I would check to see what the cruiseline is offering and then see if you can do better on your own. Airfare is getting higher all the time, so unless you anticipate them having a sale on air from PA to Seattle, I would book airfare as soon as possible. Remember, you can book your airfare through the cruiseline and, if you find a better price later, you can cancel the cruiseline's air prior to you final payment date without incurring any penalty.(If you are using a TA for this just make sure that the TA doesn't charge a cancellation or change fee - most don't)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=779943

If this link works it is a great look at what the trip this year looked like. She does a wonderful job of taking you through day by day.

Thanks for the complement.

We had perfect weather for our cruise this year. But a couple of weeks either side of us had not so great weather. So you just learn to pack for everything.

We went in mid May and while the cruise was great, there was no wildlife to be seen and we couldn't get very far because of the ice flows.

May has lower prices but, as we discovered, there is a reason

I agree with the above poster; I went in Mid May last year because it was significantly cheaper than June/July/August. I had a great time, but there was less wildlife around and on average the weather is colder.

We have done 3 trips to Alaska and another one is scheduled for next year. Our first two were May 22-29 ('05 & '06) and weather was great. Our latest trip was May 30-June 6th ('08) and weather was a pinch better. Next year we are booked for May 29-June 5th and we are hoping for the same great weather. There are no guarantees with the weather in Alaska so make sure you come prepared. Happy planning!

We went this year at the beginning of May. Out of 14 days, only two afternoons of rain, and it wasn't heavy. We saw plenty of whales and other sea life. Too early for bears, but we had seen bears the previous time in Alaska (Sept. '05). I preferred this trip over the previous one because to me, this was the TRUE Alaska, cool and plenty of snow. None at sea level, but it wasn't too far away.

We went May 25-June1 this year and May 22-29 in 2005. Both times we had the greatest weather. No rain at all and this year it was in the low 70's in Juneau. If we were ever to go again, it would definitely be the same time of year.

I also wanted to mention that since you are going out of Seattle, look at The Vintage Park hotel reviews on Trip Advisor or someplace like that. We got the room for $80 on priceline. It is a 4 star hotel that has free wine tasting nightly from 5-6PM. It is a great hotel. We had 3 rooms and every one was very happy with the hotel. It is not far from Pike's market if you are into walking.

We also did the Duck tour before our cruise. It was great fun. The tour goes through Seattle and then to the Lake. I woud recommend this to anyone looking for a fun time before/after the cruise.

I hope you are able to take an Alaska cruise as we have certainly enjoyed them. Oh, we did see a lot of whales on our way back to Seattle and a few seals too. Enjoy!

I went to Alaska in late May this year..we went May 24-31 on the Serenade of the Seas.

We had great weather--between 60-80ish and no rain. I saw plenty of whales, dolphins, bald eagles, seals.

I had an amazing time and would absoultely go that time of year again

Archived