Son turns 2 while at sea-NCL-Kids Crew

Kosmickat

Hey everyone! My son will be turning 2, during our cruise (two days before our cruise ends) Will NCL allow me to enroll him in their "Kids Crew" program?

Has anyone ever done this before?

The only thing I found on the NCL website was:

A parent or guardian is required to register kids ages 2-17. After registering, kids can participate as often as they choose.

Your child will be assigned to an age group based on his/her age at sailing. If they have a birthday while at sea, only then they are moved up. Sorry, no exceptions can be madethis helps keep your child safe.

Thanks in advance!

That is exactly what happened to my niece on the Spirit last June. My niece turned 2 the friday before we got off (on Sunday) and we received the same official reply about birthdays. Now this is what we did; when we got onboard we went to see the kids club supervisor. She asked us to come back in to see her the next morning. We were mad at first until we figured out what she was doing, she was seeing how many kids signed up for the 2-5 group. When we went to see her after lunch she informed us that she had room in that group and would allow my niece to join early. My niece loved kids club and they had great activities as well as quiet time for them. They even dressed her up like a princess the day before her birthday (they knew she would not be there on friday).

I can not promise that your son will be able to get in early, but he will be allowed on his birthday. They also have tot time that you can take him to and they have planned activities as long as a parent is with them.

The supervisor told me that they will try and let the kids that close in, but it entirely depends on group size. Make sure you talk to the supervisor as well, when we first approached a club worker we were told no. Only the supervisor can allow this.

Also, if you call the resturant that you are planning to eai in the day before, they will bake a cake and sing.

When we planned this trip we knew our son would be flying free and cruising free (well, almost, aside from port fees/taxes). Remembering that there's a Kids Crew and that he may be able to be registered in it was an added bonus. I'm hoping that the Kid's Crew staff & supervisor will be flexible and allow us to enroll our son if they aren't too full; that'd be great. But, if not, no big deal. We'll enjoy our cruise anway! :D He is turning 2 on a Thursday and our cruise disembarks Saturday morning.

That is a great tip about the cake! We love cake :)

When we planned this trip we knew our son would be flying free and cruising free (well, almost, aside from port fees/taxes). Remembering that there's a Kids Crew and that he may be able to be registered in it was an added bonus. I'm hoping that the Kid's Crew staff & supervisor will be flexible and allow us to enroll our son if they aren't too full; that'd be great. But, if not, no big deal. We'll enjoy our cruise anway! :D He is turning 2 on a Thursday and our cruise disembarks Saturday morning.

That is a great tip about the cake! We love cake :)

Don't be so certain that your son will be flying free. I believe the airlines allow lappers only up to age 2 ... and may request documentation to substantiate that the child is under that age. Further, if you purchase a roundtrip ticket and the child turns 2 before the return portion of the trip, the airlines may consider him 2 years old for the entire itinerary. In the end, you may need to buy a seat for him.

Yep, already checked with the airlines. He'll be a lap child. The airline we are going with goes by the age of child at the date of initial departure for our round-trip; we are good to go! :)

I think just about any transportation service, including cruises, uses the date of commencement. It's nice that Kat was here to share her first hand similar experience, so you know where to go and whom to talk to. If you're going on the 'kids free' promotion, though, I can't imagine the Kid's Crew not being busy. Your ship will likely be crawling with kids, and hopefully they're all well behaved and well supervised! :p You might just have to spend the first half your cruise hanging out with him... but he'll definitely love it once he gets the chance! All the 2-5 year olds I saw on the Star were having a blast.

Also, about the cake - I celebrated my birthday on board in January, and the night before when my daughter told our servers, they brought me a cake and sang (because they were going to miss it the next night). They didn't seem to need any advance notice at all. If you know where you're eating that evening, though, I'm sure they would appreciate the notice. :)

I was thinking the same thing. For cruise vacations you don't know what to expect even though a majority of schools have started their school year already. But for the 2-5 year old range anything goes, right! :) I hope the Kid's Crew isn't max'd out and that we'll be able to enroll him. That would be an added bonus for those couple of times where hubby and I will want to just chill out in the jacuzzi for a little bit. If they do let me enroll my son, he may not even be there all day.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

I was thinking the same thing. For cruise vacations you don't know what to expect even though a majority of schools have started their school year already. But for the 2-5 year old range anything goes, right! :) I hope the Kid's Crew isn't max'd out and that we'll be able to enroll him. That would be an added bonus for those couple of times where hubby and I will want to just chill out in the jacuzzi for a little bit. If they do let me enroll my son, he may not even be there all day.

Thanks for the input everyone!!

Even if it is full, they'll take him once he has his birthday, so you'll have those opportunities for 'adult time' then. Don't underestimate how much you're going to enjoy experiencing the cruise with him as well... you may not want him to go to Kid's Crew!! :)

• 5 months later...

just to confirm:

let's say cruise departs Day 1; toddler turns 2 on Day 3; return on Day 7. From Day 3-7, will the toddler be permitted to participate in age 2+ activities (for example, on NCL) and at the same time only be charged taxes/fees/rates per their age at departure (which would be sub 2 years old)?

just to confirm:

let's say cruise departs Day 1; toddler turns 2 on Day 3; return on Day 7. From Day 3-7, will the toddler be permitted to participate in age 2+ activities (for example, on NCL) and at the same time only be charged taxes/fees/rates per their age at departure (which would be sub 2 years old)?

I wouldn't bet on it.

Cruise lines usually use the rule that you are the age you are on Day 1 for the entire cruise.

I think it is a possibility that they will let him enroll as long as they are not overflowing with kids that week. ;)

I wouldn't bet on it.

Cruise lines usually use the rule that you are the age you are on Day 1 for the entire cruise.

I think it is a possibility that they will let him enroll as long as they are not overflowing with kids that week. ;)

what are the other circumstances for this? I'm thinking turning age 21, for example - so you're saying that if someone's 21st birthday is during the cruise, they would not allow them to drink for the duration, right?

what are the other circumstances for this? I'm thinking turning age 21, for example - so you're saying that if someone's 21st birthday is during the cruise, they would not allow them to drink for the duration, right?

Yep, that's usually the case.

Yep, you've got it. ;)

Some have come back to report that they could go to the purser's desk when they actually turned 21 and got a different card. But it depends on the cruise lines. And you would have to verify it before the cruise.

Archived