South America, around the horn cruise photo gallery

BPCooper

• 3 weeks later...

Ben - great photos

I've done one S/A cruise and will be doing another this fall. (60 days Sydney to Rio). Hopefully I'll get lots of good pictures.

I'm interested in what programs you used to create your site and post the pictures.

Wayne

I echo the above! We are doing the cruise from Valparaiso to Rio, on Princess, this December (the same month you did it), and your wonderful photos have really whetted the appetite. I have lots of questions, some of which have already been answered. I know the weather can be unreliable, but what sort of temperatures did you have? When going on your inland trips in Ushuaia, for example, what sort of clothing did you need? We seem to expect to be going to hot, to cold and then back to hot!

We're not too keen on taking ship's tours, as they are often crowded, are very expensive and you get taken to some places that you are not particularly interested in! Any recommendations on private tours, taking local taxis or "doing your own thing"? Where would a ship's tour be the best thing to do?

Once again, I find those photos wonderful, and will be revisiting them.

Weather is very dynamic and ranged from hot in BA, Santiago and the northern areas, to cold wet and windy down around the horn area. You should get a jacket that can split (liner that comes out) and is waterproof; and bring clothes for hot and chilly. I hope that helps. Did not do any of the private off-boat tours on this trip.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures with us, BP. My DH and I are now really looking forward to our trip on the Norwegian Sun in December.

Can I ask what lens(es) you were using? My DH shoots a Nikon D80 with an 18-135 mm lens. I'm thinking this trip will be a good excuse for us to get a bigger lens.

I also shoot a Nikon D200. My travel lens is a Nikon 18-200; at times I will also take my 12-24. After a trip to Spain and Portugal I will probably leave it home when I cruise SA. As to a 6mg camera I have a D100(6 mg) backup which I will take. I used this in Alaska and have been able to enlarge to 13x19 without ant loss of definition or noise. It is just as important to have a good lens as it is a camera.

Did you take a private tour to the Falls or the one sponsored by HAL? Was it worth the money? Your pictures are wonderful. We are taking the SA tour over Christmas/New Years but we end in Rio and are trying to decide if we want to go to the Falls. Thanks,

tucsoncoors:)

Did you take a private tour to the Falls or the one sponsored by HAL? Was it worth the money? Your pictures are wonderful. We are taking the SA tour over Christmas/New Years but we end in Rio and are trying to decide if we want to go to the Falls. Thanks,

tucsoncoors:)

I took a private tour, not with the cruise line, for the falls. Also I was on NCL for the cruise. I would highly recommend the Falls, and get to the Argentine side if you can, too. It was worth the money and I was there for one night staying in the park hotel.

I took a private tour, not with the cruise line, for the falls. Also I was on NCL for the cruise. I would highly recommend the Falls, and get to the Argentine side if you can, too. It was worth the money and I was there for one night staying in the park hotel.

Hi BP,

Thanks for sharing your photos and experience. Enjoyed reading them.

Can you tell me the name of the private tour to the Falls and is the air and hotel included? If possible also the email address or web site. My email address amri638@gmail.com. I am planning to go coming Jan.

Angela

Archived