1st Cruise Do's and Don'ts?

fmira001

Try to do excursions on your own if in a friendly port

Bring a over the door shoe rack/organizer - saves a lot of space

Eat in the restaurant instead of the buffet for the first lunch!

Don't

Sweat the small things and just enjoy yourself!

Do's:

1. Plan ahead; don't overpack but think of all the little things that you need on a cruise that you might not need on a land-based vacation: bonine/ginger tablets or other seasick medicine (just in case), power cord or surge protector for cabin (limited outlets), nightlight (?), little flashlight, passport and copies of passport (to take on land during excursions). There are some posts that give good lists.

2. Review the cruise line website and consider the different things you want to do on board (restaurants, spa services, and other activities) as well as shore excursions and then set aside time to do them. There will be more to do than you will have time for so pick your own "top 3" and make reservations for them as soon as you get on board or beforehand, if allowed.

3. Go with the right attitude. Its a vacation and you want to make the best of things but things nothing is perfect and there will be some glitches. Assume that will be the case and prepare to go with the flow.

Don't:

1. Don't worry about all the things that might go wrong. A lot of posters go on and on about problems they had; that's always a very small minority; the reason there are so many cruise ships is that so many people love taking these vacations; they come back over and over.

2. Don't assume that all your luggage will arrive when and wear you want it. Take a change of clothes in your carry-on and if you are traveling with someone, split your clothes so that each suitcase has some clothes for each of you.

3. Don't strict rigidly to a schedule or plan. Again, go with the flow; if you had plans to do something but something more interesting comes along, change your plans.

Happy cruising. I think you'll have a great time, but if not, at least now you'll know what cruising is all about and whether it's for you.

Dont be afraid to ask about "anything" while on board,

the staff is often vey helpful . If you dont see somthing you like on the diner menue " ask ". and so on down the line .;)

And have fun

I would say DONT eat lunch before you get on the ship. Get on the ship as early as you can and take advantage of lunch ON the ship :) Here in Miami we see so many people eating lunch before they go and get on the ship and I always feel like saying "noooooooooo what are you doinggggggggg" lol...

DO get on the ship as early as you can and take advantage of as much of the day as you can...

DO read as many reviews as you can but DONT let anything negative impact your vacation... I love to read both positive and negative reviews and just take them all in stride... it gives you an idea of some things to avoid, and some things to definately do.. but dont let other peoples negative opinions make you worry about your vacation... Ive taken 13 or so cruises now and have loved every one...

DONT let little things ruin your vacation, if something happens, make a note of it, shake it off, complain to the necessary person to fix it if necessary or write a letter when you get home... but dont let it ruin the rest of your trip...

Do's -

1. arrive early (if you can) and have lunch in the dining room (the one time I used the NCL transfer we got there soooo late, no lunch and general rushed feeling)

2. take a highlighter for the dailies and read it three times marking things you want to do. (Last year I missed the chocolate buffet because I din't take my own advice :(

3. enjoy the people on board. make new friends. cruise lovers are special folks.

Don't -

1. cut it too close when off the ship. Make sure to get back in time.

2. don't forget even though you feel secure, you still have to be smart (bad things can happen on cruise ships like on land), be aware.

3. worry that you forgot something, missed some event, paid too much for a silly drink, encountered one rude pax or staff.

The goods outweigh the bads 1000 to 1.

Have a great time!!!!!!!

Hard to add much to the list:

DO: plan on trying one specialty dining room

expect to have a good time

go out of your way to make conversation with the crew. They love to

talk about the ship, how long they have been aboard and their lives

back home.

Dont worry about little things

let the cronic complainers bother you, in fact it is fun to challenge

them or ask them to explain

be surprised if you go over your budget a little: just enjoy yourselves

One more thing I can't stress enough: go to the roll call like someone suggested. it can really help you enjoy your cruise.

Nita

Try to do excursions on your own if in a friendly port

Bring a over the door shoe rack/organizer - saves a lot of space

Do they even make a shoe organizer for two pair of shoes? I'll be wearing one pair so..........

Sorry, Toyz!

I didn't see your post in time.

(On a side note, I'm always telling people to "Refresh your screen, Moron" here at work, because people are always reminding me to do something that I've already done. Perhaps I should listen to myself.:o )

DON'T

1 Get in the first buffet line you come to, walk around some and look to see what is in each area. I don't know how many times DH has missed the omelet station because he just got in the first line he saw.

2 Plan 2-3 outfits for each day, you're not going to wear them! Plan a beach/pool outfit, a shore/ship outfit (or a combo beach/shore) and then evening dress. Plan on wearing slacks or shorts more than once. Believe me, nobody is going to notice or care if you wear the same thing more than once.

3 Forget the passport or ID!!!

DO

1 Make sure you tour the ship completely, and if any reviews tell about "hidden" spots mark them down.

2 Try something silly that you might not do at home, Trivia or slots maybe? the towel folding seminar? Something you wouldn't normally do.

3 Use plenty of sunscreen! Nothing worse that getting a bad sun burn the first day out.

Have a great time.

LegalCat:

How early will NCL allow me to get onboard in Miami?

Where's the best/cheapest place to park?

Thanks!

As far as parking, you will have to park inside the port... unless your staying at a pre cruise hotel that would actually allow you to leave your car there for free during the cruise which i really doubt there is one... you cant walk to the port.. so its not like you can utilize any other parking and then walk across the street or anything... its a good walk across a long bridge... I'm not sure what the parking rate is inside the port, its good safe covered parking... since we live right down the street we usually have a friend drop us off.. we did have to park last time but actually it was so busy with so many people leaving at once, they just opened the gate and let everyone leave and we didnt have to pay...

As far as early... we usually get there at 11 at the latest and are usually on board by 12 at the very latest... thats on NCL.. on Carnival we've been on board by 11:15...

Sorry I couldnt be more helpful

Toyz711,

Thanks

The over the door organization I've purchased must have 30 compartments. I used it for almost everything; cameras, camcorders, ipods, suntan lotion, etc, etc.

My wife was laughing when I purchased the item however, with three of us each bringing sandals, sneakers and at least one pair of dress shoes the organizer really helped us in saving space. I'm still laughing since my wife was dead set against the organizer and the duct tape.

Ironically, my wife is now using it at home behind the coat door. I now need to purchase a second one-lol

1 - Check the restaurant times every day, in the Freestyle Daily. They're not always the same and if you have your heart set on breakfast in the main dining room, it pays to check.

2 - If you're going to treat yourself to the spa, and trying to keep costs down, go for the head massage. If I recall, it's about $30 and its great value for money.

3 - Don't feel like to have to do EVERYTHING. It's taken us 4 cruises to realize that. What works best for us is to just wander about and do whatever catches our fancy. That's what's fantastic about Freestyle - do what you want, when you want. If you don't make every show or every activity every day, whatever. Just do what feels right at the time and you'll have a great, great experience.

Oh, I've got to add a fourth -

4 - Visit this board, often. The people here are a wealth of knowledge and it's a wonderful way to keep the excitement levels up until your actual departure day.

I really don't have a lot to add....it seems that everyone else has given you good advice.

1. Bring Post-it notes....to leave notes for the room stewards or notes for each other in your cabin.

2. Pack your bathing suit in a carry on. The pools may be open in warm weather and it can take a while to get your suitcases.

3. Carry on all "essential" items...meds, paperwork, passports, $$$, etc.

4. HAVE A REALLY GREAT TIME!!!!!!! Welcome to the world of cruising.

DO - experience things you have never had the opportunity to try before.:D

Check your balance every so often especially if you are charging lots of drinks or gambling chips. . .they have a way of adding up quick.

DON't - worry about making a fool of yourself. You are never going to see those people again.:p

DON't - worry about making a fool of yourself. You are never going to see those people again.:p

yeah. experience speaks here. heheheheheheh! got2cruise...ok...the "plan"

may/june - pearl or star to alaska 2009

august - whatever is sailing out of nyc (or miami, if we have enough flyer miles)

DO: LEARN ALL YOU CAN FROM THESE BOARDS. you'll know who the regulars are. we won't steer you wrong. and we WILL offer you constructive criticisms on things NCL can improve on. KEEP AN OPEN MIND. LEAVE ALL ASSUMPTIONS AND BIASES AT THE FRONT DOOR.

DON'T: if you have complaints, address them WHILE ON THE SHIP. don't wait until you are home and write an endless tale. otherwise i'll have to whip out my sad song violin.

If you aren't doing the Express Disembarkation, they'll ask you to leave your luggage outside your door before you go to bed on the last night, to pick up on the pier after you leave the ship in the morning.

Be sure to hold clothing out for you to wear on that last morning. If you don't, the ship can't help you, except maybe offer you a Sports Afloat T-shirt. They can't open the stores, either.

Why do I know? Guess.:D

Archived