Current Dress Code and Formal Night

Mark

Our family is considered very casual but we dress appropriately when needed. We will have formal attire for "Elegant Dress" night. My husband and I am covered on the dress code for all evenings,.

My older son usually is very preppy and always looks very nice but part of his summer wardrobe is cargo shorts with several layered polo shirts on at a time. His cargo shorts come in various colors of khaki and look nice to me. I read somewhere hat cargo shorts were acceptable on casual nights.

Could someone please confirm if this is true.

You can wear shorts to dinner???? I personally feel this is out of place on a cruise. Am I the minority? Im all for being comfy.. I'm not sure I would be comfy wearing shorts to the dining room.

Evidently so or all the cruise lines would not be changing the stuffy dress code.

Feel free to dress up as much as you like.

I for one will definitely be wearing shorts and a polo. On "elegant" night I will change to khakis and a polo. It will be GREAT to leave the suit at home.

You can wear shorts to dinner???? I personally feel this is out of place on a cruise. Am I the minority? Im all for being comfy.. I'm not sure I would be comfy wearing shorts to the dining room.

You're definitely not in the minority and don't let the "casual" proponents convince you otherwise. In spite of some cruise lines relaxing their dress code for the dining room, you will find that the majority of cruisers still dress appropriately for dinner in the main dining room and do not wear shorts. Yes, you might see some people wear shorts to dinner in the dining room, but they will be the minority not you.

Our family is considered very casual but we dress appropriately when needed. We will have formal attire for "Elegant Dress" night. My husband and I am covered on the dress code for all evenings,.

My older son usually is very preppy and always looks very nice but part of his summer wardrobe is cargo shorts with several layered polo shirts on at a time. His cargo shorts come in various colors of khaki and look nice to me. I read somewhere hat cargo shorts were acceptable on casual nights.

Could someone please confirm if this is true.

Yep. It is true for casual night. The new dress code allows "dress shorts (long)". Their words, not mine. :cool:

I have yet to come across a generally accepted definition of "dress shorts". My wife says cargo shorts are fine, so that is good enough for me.

I wore them every casual night as did plenty of others. It probably varies from cruise to cruise, but there will likely be a substantial number in shorts. As the new dress code becomes more known, shorts will become more common. Of course, a lot of people state they were common on their cruise(s) before the new dress code.

Who knows unless someone wants to commission a poll. However, I trust Carnival knows their target market better than any of us. They are not in the business of making decisions that hurt their bottom line.

You're definitely not in the minority and don't let the "casual" proponents convince you otherwise. In spite of some cruise lines relaxing their dress code for the dining room, you will find that the majority of cruisers still dress appropriately for dinner in the main dining room and do not wear shorts. Yes, you might see some people wear shorts to dinner in the dining room, but they will be the minority not you.

So I'll be happy to be in the minority on my cruise in January.

Since the new relaxed dress code has only been in existence for less than 2 months how many people other than people on CruiseCritic even know it has been changed?

Probably not many, so if that is the case of course most people still dress the old way for dinner.

Bill

Okay, since Celebrity is now saying that jeans are now part of "smart casual and above", I'm stunned. Our one Celebrity cruise felt very upscale and I would have felt very out of place in denim.

That being said, a nice pair of pleated denim slacks and a classy golf shirt are right in my comfort zone.

We're gonna have to rethink our attire/packing plans for January. For the best???

As the comedien on the Glory stated one night:

These guys wear shorts, but their whole butt (in boxers) is showing, so the shorts come all the way down to the ankles. They are really CAPRIS!! :)

Honestly, I don't think it matters what is stipulated, because people wear what they want and are allowed in. So wear what you feel comfortable wearing. Just enjoy your cruise.

Shay

I see quite a few comments lately about khakis and a polo being acceptable for Cruise Elegant nights.

Khakis and a polo are a dress shirt and slacks??

Isn't the "collared sport shirt" mentioned under casual night actually the polo? I don't see it mentioned under acceptable for Cruise Elegant nights.

Okay, since Celebrity is now saying that jeans are now part of "smart casual and above", I'm stunned. Our one Celebrity cruise felt very upscale and I would have felt very out of place in denim.

That being said, a nice pair of pleated denim slacks and a classy golf shirt are right in my comfort zone.

We're gonna have to rethink our attire/packing plans for January. For the best???

Yes even Celebrity is now allowing jeans on smart casual. :)

News flash!! It is now appropriate to wear shorts in the main dining room on cruise casual;)

Why......are you trying to convince otherwise:confused: ;)

when you say formal on elegant nights for the late seating, how formal are we talking? I'll be taking my first cruise next May and chose the last seating...I'm a little clueless!

Most men were in suits with ties think I only saw one or two tuxes. Most of the women and the teens were in formal wear, cocktail dresses, nice pant suits or nice little black dresses with jewelry and heels.

At least on our cruise they took elegant night literally and dressed the part. I was in a formal gown and DH was in a suit and tie and we felt like we were dressed perfect to fit in with everyone elses dress style.

I would have felt horribly out of place if I would have gone the more casual approach to elegant night. But I know others it wouldn't bother so go with whatever you are comfortable wearing.

The last night was like another formal night. Especially with the younger crowd. They donned more formals and dressy attire and I saw a lot of suits again. Probably varies by cruise since you have different people on each one.

News flash!! It is now appropriate to wear shorts in the main dining room on cruise casual;)

Why......are you trying to convince otherwise:confused: ;)

Newsflash

Anyone refering to a cruiseline to learn how to dress for any occasion should question their upbringing.

Newsflash

Anyone refering to a cruiseline to learn how to dress for any occasion should question their upbringing.

How can one question their upbringing when they had no choice in the matter?:confused:

Newsflash

Not everyone was brought up the same way or shares your values. It's a big world out there. There is even variation within small socio-economic-regional circles.

Dress codes on a mass market cruise line are an appropriate way for the cruise line to deal with the myriad cultures/values/opinions etc. that exist in this world. The cruise line is the host of the venue - who else should be setting the standards?

How would you propose to give notice to billions of different people from all over the world what is appropriate to wear?

You are free to exceed the dress code if you want.

Not everyone was brought up the same way or shares your values. It's a big world out there. There is even variation within small socio-economic-regional circles.

Dress codes on a mass market cruise line are an appropriate way for the cruise line to deal with the myriad cultures/values/opinions etc. that exist in this world. The cruise line is the host of the venue - who else should be setting the standards?

How would you propose to give notice to billions of different people from all over the world what is appropriate to wear?

You are free to exceed the dress code if you want.

But of course.

If I were going to Franistan, or sailing out of Franistan (if it weren’t a landlocked country), I would be sure to bring myself up to speed to understand what I needed to wear to “fit in”.

Or, I might choose not to fit in. I wouldn’t know how that may or may not offend some. And then others would say “Who cares, it’s your vacation.”

How silly it all seems.

Check the newsflash in post 38

Pointing out that it is now appropriate/suitable to wear shorts on casual night due to change in dress code is merely giving information.........

Not really sure how ones upbringing would apply to that.......

Oh wait.....my mamma always said I was the giver in the family:D

But I know I will just get another sarcastic one sentence reply:rolleyes:

But of course.

If I were going to Franistan, or sailing out of Franistan (if it weren’t a landlocked country), I would be sure to bring myself up to speed to understand what I needed to wear to “fit in”.

Or, I might choose not to fit in. I wouldn’t know how that may or may not offend some. And then others would say “Who cares, it’s your vacation.”

How silly it all seems.

Yes. It does seem silly to speak with smugness regarding what is appropriate or how one "fits in" with U.S. culture on a foreign flagged cruise ship headed to international ports and accepting international passengers and which markets to the international community.

There is not even a uniform definition of U.S. customs and culture. Do you determine how to "fit in" by the culture of the city ward of embarkation, the city of embarkation, the state of embarkation, the region of embarkation, or the country of embarkation?

Archived