Current Dress Code and Formal Night

Mark

I have been reading a lot of postings about other cruise lines that have eliminated their "formal night" per se and also allow blue jeans in the dining room on all nights. Can someone please tell me what Carnival has as their dress code for dinner in the dining room? I am sailing on Carnival Triumph in November and am used to 2 formal nights, 2 informal nights and 3 casual nights. I always pack a business suit for the formal nights but if I don't have to, well...it is easier to just pack jeans and dockers!

Please advise...:cool:

Can someone please tell me what Carnival has as their dress code for dinner in the dining room? :cool:

I'm confused as well! Everyone says it has changed, but someone recently posted capers from a Carnival Liberty cruise and it clearly stated it was "FORMAL NIGHT" with suits or tuxes.

Many recent threads on the topic.

Carnival has done away with formal nights. It is now called "Cruise Elegant Night" and while suits and ties are recommended for gentlemen they are not required. "Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. "

The debate will rage and the next sentence on the web site says jackets suggested.

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

The bottom line is that Carnival recognizes that a lot of people do not want to get too dressed up and as a result they have modified the suggested attire.

All that can safely be said is the above quotes are from carnival and you have to make your decision based on what carnival says NOT on what the fashion police on this board tell you.

I'm confused as well! Everyone says it has changed, but someone recently posted capers from a Carnival Liberty cruise and it clearly stated it was "FORMAL NIGHT" with suits or tuxes.

The changes occurred in mid May. Were the capers from before that time?

I have been reading a lot of postings about other cruise lines that have eliminated their "formal night" per se and also allow blue jeans in the dining room on all nights. Can someone please tell me what Carnival has as their dress code for dinner in the dining room? I am sailing on Carnival Triumph in November and am used to 2 formal nights, 2 informal nights and 3 casual nights. I always pack a business suit for the formal nights but if I don't have to, well...it is easier to just pack jeans and dockers!

Please advise...:cool:

Read for yourself, but no jeans on elegant night:

http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/formal_dining.aspx

I just got off of the Glory on the 5th. Here is a rundown of each evenings dinner titles taken directly from the Capers:

28th: Casual. No shorts or tank tops permitted.

29th: Elegant. No shorts, T-shirts or Baseball Hats in the Dining Rooms

30th: Casual. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Hats in Dining Rooms

1st: Casual. Please no Shorts, Baseball Caps or T-Shirts

2nd: None given

3rd: Elegant. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Caps

4th: Elegant Casual. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Caps

We got dressed up on the 29th and 3rd. I wore a cocktail dress complete with jewelry and sparkly shoes and DH wore a suit with tie. The other nights I wore really nice work clothes (business owner) and DH would wear khakis with a hawaiian, polo, or button down shirt with dress sandals.

So, you basically can dress how you want, according to Carnival, as long as you don't wear shorts (which we saw), t-shirts (which we saw), baseball hats/caps (which we saw) and tank tops (that's iffy to me, but I am supposing they are talking about men's tanks, since women wear sleeveless tops which I consider to be tank-style.)

Have a great cruise, and dress the way you appropriately feel.

Shay

I just got off of the Glory on the 5th. Here is a rundown of each evenings dinner titles taken directly from the Capers:

28th: Casual. No shorts or tank tops permitted.

29th: Elegant. No shorts, T-shirts or Baseball Hats in the Dining Rooms

30th: Casual. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Hats in Dining Rooms

1st: Casual. Please no Shorts, Baseball Caps or T-Shirts

2nd: None given

3rd: Elegant. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Caps

4th: Elegant Casual. No Shorts, T-Shirts or Baseball Caps

We got dressed up on the 29th and 3rd. I wore a cocktail dress complete with jewelry and sparkly shoes and DH wore a suit with tie. The other nights I wore really nice work clothes (business owner) and DH would wear khakis with a hawaiian, polo, or button down shirt with dress sandals.

So, you basically can dress how you want, according to Carnival, as long as you don't wear shorts (which we saw), t-shirts (which we saw), baseball hats/caps (which we saw) and tank tops (that's iffy to me, but I am supposing they are talking about men's tanks, since women wear sleeveless tops which I consider to be tank-style.)

Have a great cruise, and dress the way you appropriately feel.

Shay

And people wonder why there is confusion. Your Capers clearly state no shorts while the Carnival website states that shorts are allowable.

I'd be hopping mad if I went to the dining room wearing shorts based on Carnivals website and got refused service.

Bill

And people wonder why there is confusion. Your Capers clearly state no shorts while the Carnival website states that shorts are allowable.

I'd be hopping mad if I went to the dining room wearing shorts based on Carnivals website and got refused service.

Bill

Sounds like a rogue Maitre d' :D

We were on the Victory 6/28-7/3. We had a sheet the first day along with the Capers explaining the new dress policy. My dh and boys wore shorts every night to DR except elegant night. They wore a polo shirt with it. Many people did and lots of jeans also.

We had 4 casual and 1 elegant.

We were on the Elation at the end of March and the new dress code was already in effect, so my husband wore nice shorts on the casual nights as did several other men. If we had known ahead of time we could have packed lots lighter!

Our Holiday capers explain it as follows:

Cruise Casual: No gym or basketball shorts, beach flip flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant: No shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cutoff jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, baseball hats.

That being said I'd say 90% or more of the people at the late night seating were dressed very nice every night and formal on "Elegant" night. Those who didn't were definitely in the minority and stuck out. I didn't see anyone other than a few kids that disregarded the dress code. I know one couples kids got sent out on a casual night because they didn't even have shoes one, the boy had no shirt.

I don't know if people dressed more casual for the early seating or not. I was getting ready when they would have been hitting the dining rooms.

Our Holiday capers explain it as follows:

Cruise Casual: No gym or basketball shorts, beach flip flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant: No shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cutoff jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, baseball hats.

That being said I'd say 90% or more of the people at the late night seating were dressed very nice every night and formal on "Elegant" night. Those who didn't were definitely in the minority and stuck out. I didn't see anyone other than a few kids that disregarded the dress code. I know one couples kids got sent out on a casual night because they didn't even have shoes one, the boy had no shirt.

I don't know if people dressed more casual for the early seating or not. I was getting ready when they would have been hitting the dining rooms.

when you say formal on elegant nights for the late seating, how formal are we talking? I'll be taking my first cruise next May and chose the last seating...I'm a little clueless!

So would you guys be okay with two young boys, ages 11 and 8, in nice khaki type of shorts and a polo for casual nights?

The kids grow so fast that their khaki pants from winter don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones yet as they won't fit by fall/winter!

They will wear a shirt and tie with dark pants on elegant nights.

What do you think?

So would you guys be okay with two young boys, ages 11 and 8, in nice khaki type of shorts and a polo for casual nights?

The kids grow so fast that their khaki pants from winter don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones yet as they won't fit by fall/winter!

They will wear a shirt and tie with dark pants on elegant nights.

What do you think?

Carnival says it is ok:)

We were on the Liberty in May of this year and the Maitre d' told everyone on the very first night that:

• hats
  • sleeveless shirts
  • shorts

were NOT permitted in the Dining Room any evening. I was flabbergasted espically after reading that Jeans and DressShorts WERE permitted.

With the airlines charging for everything these days, I would prefer to pack lighter and will not be bringing a suit for my DH for our Glory cruise next year. He will have dress pants and shirt, just no jacket. Should they change their minds and not allow us in, we will gladly eat at the Lido.

Guest carlogesualdo

I suspect this is much similar to a discussion I've been reading elsewhere saying passengers are being told they cannot smoke in their cabins, only on the balconies, despite no such official policy. It sounds like we have some crew members who would prefer to set their own policies when they don't like the official ones that are in place. Hence, they tell us these "rules" as if they are official. I submit if you show up in attire as required in the official FAQ on the website, you will not be refused service.

when you say formal on elegant nights for the late seating, how formal are we talking? I'll be taking my first cruise next May and chose the last seating...I'm a little clueless!

The late seating dress code is the same as the early seating. From the Carnival website :

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Maybe I'll print out the dress code, just in case I want to wear my nice khaki shorts to dinner one night, since it is permitted. If I were to get any flack about it, I would definitely bring it to the attention of someone in charge.

MAC

oops

Why could it be all the talk about Celebrity:confused: ;)

Although they are not getting rid of formal but are allowing jeans on smart casual night:D

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000R1oM_wze3oB_XJY8OEZ_EIK:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Edited to say I was quoting you before you edited.............

It's all just exasperating. I chose to just "not reply". :rolleyes:

Why could it be all the talk about Celebrity:confused: ;) Although they are not getting rid of formal but are allowing jeans on smart casual night:D

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000R1oM_wze3oB_XJY8OEZ_EIK:12hdbcveb?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=478&pagename=faq_answers

Edited to say I was quoting you before you edited.............

Ok... now I am confused. When they say "no sportswear" what do they mean? Are they talking atheltic clothing? Or khakis and capris with polos? When we saied on the Triumph in Dec there were people wearing khakis and polos on "formal" night. And we even saw people in shorts and tanks every night of the cruise.

Many recent threads on the topic.

Carnival has done away with formal nights. It is now called "Cruise Elegant Night" and while suits and ties are recommended for gentlemen they are not required. "Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. "

The debate will rage and the next sentence on the web site says jackets suggested.

"Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

The bottom line is that Carnival recognizes that a lot of people do not want to get too dressed up and as a result they have modified the suggested attire.

All that can safely be said is the above quotes are from carnival and you have to make your decision based on what carnival says NOT on what the fashion police on this board tell you.

The changes occurred in mid May. Were the capers from before that time?

No where does it say that suits and ties are recommended.It says they are invited to wear them if they choose.

Archived