Current Dress Code and Formal Night

Mark

Hey quit bickering! I like you two too much to see you bicker.. . the guidelines are the guidelines and no one should be 'reprimanded' for following them

So Back to me... :rolleyes:

These are photos from the Miracle in May.. Look at how the guests are dressed...

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

If you notice the bottom photo, the woman is wearing sneakers.

There was one man wearing a an old tattered Harley shirt and sneakers...

One girl was barefoot.. (which is the only thing that bothered me.. I have an issue with walking barefoot).

Yes. It does seem silly to speak with smugness regarding what is appropriate or how one "fits in" with U.S. culture on a foreign flagged cruise ship headed to international ports and accepting international passengers and which markets to the international community.

There is not even a uniform definition of U.S. customs and culture. Do you determine how to "fit in" by the culture of the city ward of embarkation, the city of embarkation, the state of embarkation, the region of embarkation, or the country of embarkation?

When in doubt wear a wife beater shirt, ball cap, sport shorts, and flip flops. Seems to work for some people.:D

You know, everyone (it seems) worries so much about how to dress on a cruise ship.

There are guidelines, just follow them. I know they are confusing, but it's a cruise.

I obsess about how I look in a swimsuit. Does it cover enough fat? Do my rolls show? Tankini or one-piece? And then I get to the pool or beach, and some half-ton woman is in a string bikini, and I wonder by I bother.

So, just try to follow the guidelines. Dress as if you were going to a resort somewhere, planning on a nice dinner a couple of nights. You'll be fine.

Shay

We just got off of the Glory on the 5th. Boo hoo. Anyway, there were a couple of family reunions on this cruise along with a bowling team. One night one of the families all wore their matching t-shirts. Nice. Then, one night the bowling team all wore their matching (ugly) t-shirts. Nice again, and they were loud and always clapping.

But who cared? Not Carnival, so not me.

Shay

Our Holiday capers explain it as follows:

Cruise Casual: No gym or basketball shorts, beach flip flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant: No shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cutoff jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, baseball hats.

That being said I'd say 90% or more of the people at the late night seating were dressed very nice every night and formal on "Elegant" night. Those who didn't were definitely in the minority and stuck out. I didn't see anyone other than a few kids that disregarded the dress code. I know one couples kids got sent out on a casual night because they didn't even have shoes one, the boy had no shirt.

I don't know if people dressed more casual for the early seating or not. I was getting ready when they would have been hitting the dining rooms.

Ditto on the Legend last week.

So would you guys be okay with two young boys, ages 11 and 8, in nice khaki type of shorts and a polo for casual nights?

The kids grow so fast that their khaki pants from winter don't fit and I don't want to buy new ones yet as they won't fit by fall/winter!

They will wear a shirt and tie with dark pants on elegant nights.

What do you think?

I think they'll be fine in what you've described.

Hey quit bickering! I like you two too much to see you bicker.. . the guidelines are the guidelines and no one should be 'reprimanded' for following them

So Back to me... :rolleyes:

These are photos from the Miracle in May.. Look at how the guests are dressed...

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

ry%3D320

If you notice the bottom photo, the woman is wearing sneakers.

There was one man wearing a an old tattered Harley shirt and sneakers...

One girl was barefoot.. (which is the only thing that bothered me.. I have an issue with walking barefoot).

Who's looking at what anyone's wearing with those gawd awful grapes? :eek:

News flash!! It is now appropriate to wear shorts in the main dining room on cruise casual;)

Why......are you trying to convince otherwise:confused: ;)

Allowed now, yes. Appropriate? NO! Not hard to understand.

Who's looking at what anyone's wearing with those gawd awful grapes? :eek:

You know the photos are deceiving... because prior to our cruise I was dreading seeing the big grapes... and once we were in the dinning room it was not so bad... It looks so much more overwhelming in photo than it does in person... With that said, its still OVER THE TOP!!!!

If it wasn't appropriate it would not be allowed..

From CRUISE CRITIC

http://www.cruisecritic.com/features/articles.cfm?ID=545

Carnival Cruise Line

The Code: Carnival will change its dress code this spring. Currently, most ships have formal and casual dress codes. Formal dress includes tuxedo, suit and tie, or jacket and tie for men and evening gown, cocktail dress or pantsuit for women. Casual wear means sport shirts and slacks for men and dresses, skirts or pantsuits for women.

The new dress code is being tested on two ships and will roll out fleetwide in mid-May. Cruise casual dress includes sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), long dress shorts and collared sport shirts for men, and casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, capri pants, dress shorts and jeans (no cut-offs) for women. Cruise elegant dress means dress slacks, dress shirts and sport coat (suggested not required) for men and cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses for women. On elegant nights, passengers may choose to dress more formally in suits and ties, tuxedos or evening gowns, but this level of dress is not required.

Number of Formal Nights: There are two formal nights per seven-night cruise, one on shorter cruises. Cruise elegant nights will replace formal nights under the new system.

Nightly Casual Option: For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly and have a casual dress code.

Written Restrictions and Jeans: Under the new dress codes, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans and sleeveless shirts for men are the only items of clothing never permitted in the dining room during dinner.

Another interesting read...

Carnival’s New Dress Code: Now Permitting Shorts In Dining Room on Casual Evenings

There is great news for all of you who prefer a more casual cruise and disappointing news for those who prefer some of the more formal traditions of cruising. Carnival has just updated their dress code to allow dress shorts in the dining room during the casual evenings. They are no longer requiring a coat for gentlemen on formal eveings.

Here’s the quote from their FAQ’s on their website:

“Is there a dress code for the dining room?

Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that’s great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats. ”

If it wasn't appropriate it would not be allowed..

Since when is that an absolute truth? Something can be allowed (for many different reasons) and still be inappropriate. Is it appropriate for me to smoke next to someone with emphysema because it's allowed? Is it appropriate for me to walk up and down the street wearing nothing but a Speedo because it's allowed? Do not equate allowance with appropriateness; they have nothing to do with each other. In my opinion, showing up for dinner at a formal dining setting (white tablecloths, fine china and silverware, formally-attired waitstaff, etc.) like the main dining room on a cruise ship wearing shorts is inappropriate, regardless of whether Carnival allows it or not.

Since when is that an absolute truth? Something can be allowed (for many different reasons) and still be inappropriate. Is it appropriate for me to smoke next to someone with emphysema because it's allowed? Is it appropriate for me to walk up and down the street wearing nothing but a Speedo because it's allowed? Do not equate allowance with appropriateness; they have nothing to do with each other. In my opinion, showing up for dinner at a formal dining setting (white tablecloths, fine china and silverware, formally-attired waitstaff, etc.) like the main dining room on a cruise ship wearing shorts is inappropriate, regardless of whether Carnival allows it or not.

It's their 'house' they make the "house rules".. If you do not agree with it there are several other cruise lines that have a more formal setting to "suit" your opinions.

Cloth napkins do not equate to formal, nor is it a 5 Star restaurant. It's not "Fine China", it's not silverware, it's flatware... If your argument was more inclined about dress code for the super clubs I would agree with you, but the dining room is nothing more than a glorified cafeteria. The cafeteria at Mt Sinai hospital uses cloth napkins, should I dress formal when eating there?

You can argue and post and post and post away. Your posts will not change the dress code. Obviously Carnival knows better than us about what works for them.

PS Its never ever appropriate to wear a Speedo;)

You are of course entitled to your opinion, but others, including Carnival (as spelled out in the suggested dress code) disagree with you.

Just because you don't like doesn't make it inappropriate.

You are exactly right, it is NOT HARD TO UNDERSTAND, problem is that you don't understand.

Carnival as well as other cruise lines want to make the customer happy, that would explain the broad dress codes. they will never seriously enforce the dress codes, they're too busy serving two thousand dinners and would like your money- they don't want to make anyone mad. Dressing for the cruise has alot to do with tradition . To keep the tradition alive and well, cruisers will have to continue dressing for the Diningroom. Jeans and shorts are great for McD's but I agree with one poster, a cloth tablecloth and napkins should give you a hint on how to dress. A cruise is a special vacation to myself and family. We save up all year and like to feel special at dinner, therefore we dress nice- not over the top but not jeans or shorts. I have found great buys on skirts and even Walmart sells dress pants for boys and men. You don't have to spend alot of money to look nice! Relax by the pool all day, dress as you want, but when it's dinnertime please make at least some effort! The waiters shouldn't be dressed better than you! I think if the cruiselines are going to relax the dresscodes than why not for the waiters and crew too? I think if the diningroom staff goes to all the trouble to make the table look nice and the food and themselves why should we dumb it down by dressing like were at McDs?

It was humor ..lighten up.....:rolleyes:

Are you charged a corkage fee with that whine?

Those of us that are properly-attired never pay a corkage fee. Sorry that those of you in shorts are made to!

Those of us that are properly-attired never pay a corkage fee. Sorry that those of you in shorts are made to!

I don't drink nor do I wear shorts out to dinner but I respect the right of those that do both;)

Putting table cloths and flatware on a table doesn't change the fact that the dining rooms on Carnival are nothing more than cabarets. Singing and dancing waiters alone ruin any atmosphere that could potentially be there. IN addition the servers are not dressed formally, in spite of what some may think. Until they put on tuxes as are worn by staff at truly formal places they have on nothing fancier than a uniform.

When the waiters stop singing and dancing then you can talk about formal, etc.

Until then, it is what it is. You are on a mass market cruise line, not a traditional ocean liner. Wear what you want (that fits the suggestions) and forget about everyone else.

I don't drink nor do I wear shorts out to dinner but I respect the right of those that do both;)

I must not have been paying attention in my Civics class the day the right to drink and wear shorts was discussed. I must go re-read our Constitution ASAP in case I missed any other inalienable rights. We will continue this fascinating discussion tomorrow after I've brushed up on all these new rights. Goodnight!

Seriously? This is getting ridiculous. A thread that was simply about what Carnival states as an appropriate dress code- it's on their website- has turned into a petty argument and completely off topic.

Personally, I do not care what anyone wears to dinner. You're on vacation and should wear what you're comfortable in, as long as its not a bathing suit! If someone dresses in shorts and a t-shirt they will not ruin my dinner or good time, because honestly I do not care. I do not think you should have to pack 3 suitcases full of shirts, ties, jackets, and ball gowns when you're on vacation. I have worked in a true fine dining setting and 5-star place, and people came in there dressed in polos, khakis, suits, and even jeans! Never saw a tux, except at a wedding reception.

If people want to wear shorts- as long as they are longer and appropriate- that's fine with me and obviously it is now fine with Carnival, and that is who makes the rules for the dining room.

Remember, norms are not rules! And to each his own. :)

Putting table cloths and flatware on a table doesn't change the fact that the dining rooms on Carnival are nothing more than cabarets. Singing and dancing waiters alone ruin any atmosphere that could potentially be there.
LOL These threads are sooooo much fun! :)

Archived