How formal are formal nights?

Lucca30

Wendy, my dear departed mother, an English major and teacher, triumphantly informed me (at some point in my 30s or 40s), that spelling was an eye skill, having nothing to do with brain power (or the lack of it). I guess she was appalled at the very thought my inability to spell was genetic. Eye weakness she had to accept; I'd worn glasses since 3rd grade.

My academic involvement came at the end of a long career. It took me 22 years, almost all at night, to earn a BS and two masters’ degrees. Never did get a doctorate, nor sure I could in my field (information science). You have to expand the field of knowledge, or at least appear to have done so. Difficult when you’ve learned limits the hard way, as I had.

Ah sorry Count, I understand. I just couldn't help myself, being one of those people who can spell, and also being Canadian, French-derived words come easier. (Oh, and we still mostly pronounce it "neesh".)

Well good for you for your hard-earned education. I never went past a B.A., although in retrospect I should have been an Engineer. I'm in IT and it would have been a natch, but "in my day" girls didn't enter engineering.

I'm sorry to hear that. I had better get on the phone to Regent first thing to complain about this despicable drop in their standards. Oh, and I used despicable just to see if I could spell it. I am sorry to say I could not. Where would I be without ieSpell. Now all I need is an automatic proofreader.

I have a hard time understanding why so many people are concerned with what they can get away with on dress code. Why are you not more concerned with what is appropriate? I doubt if I would be kicked out of a formal wedding if I arrived in jeans, but I would be dressed inappropriately.

I doubt if I would be kicked out of a botique for shopping with my hair in rollers, but it certainly would be inappropriate.

Vivian

Not sure why this thread has become a way to express anger about . . . hmmmm. . . not sure what. Why would anyone be angry about discussing "formal" nights vs. "informal" nights? :confused:

"Informal" nights (as defined by Regent) does not prevent anyone from wearing a tie or a tux. "Formal" nights do not require the wearing of a tux. This thread was about answering a question for someone . . . note: the question was answered a long time ago.

We are all entitled to our opinions -- whether we agree with them or not. JMO

Where are you guys finding the information about whether your upcoming cruise will have formal nights? As for me I Love them (but maybe that is in fact just a gender thing) because with our busy lives we don't get a lot of chances to dress up and go out so I still find it fun. As for my DH, he HATES them....says he wore a suit & tie to work for 25 years and that was enough!! It was amazing that we were able to con him into wearing a tux for our daughter's wedding LOL. Anyway, it would be wonderful (for him) if it turns out that our 12 day southern Carib cruise in January was CCC only. How will I know?

Regent dress codes are generally on their website. However, they are not yet posted for 2009. When they are posted, they will be on the same page as your itinerary! From what I've read on this thread, other cruise lines are looking at "Formal" nights -- some are making changes to their dress codes. There are a few of us who hope Regent changes "Formal" to "Informal". While it still requires a jacket for men, ties are not required (still, they can wear them if they desire). Women do have it a bit easier -- black pants and a dressy top are typically seen on formal, informal and CCC nights.

• 1 month later...

Just a figure of speech. I feel like I'm in a movie when I'm on Seabourn. Beautiful ship, charming crew, and on formal night, everyone looks wonderful. I simply love dressing up in a formal gown and descending the spiral staircase to dinner! It's "romantic" to me, just a really special, lovely experience.

Jane :)

Archived