Are we crazy to cruise with a 9-m-o & a 3-y-o?

TravelMamaCLG

Has anyone else cruised with 2 very young kids?

We cruised with our then 2 & 1/2 y-o DD last summer through the Med on Disney & had a blast!

Now we are scheduled to do an 8 day Carnival cruise over Thanksgiving to MX with DD (3) & DS (will be 9 months). We are nervous b/c there is no Flounders or splash pool for the baby (I know, bring our own inflatable pool) & wondering if we are biting off more than we can enjoyably chew. Will we have fun, or just be stressballs by the end?!

Yep you should just cancel now. ;) :p

Just kidding, yes it can be done. It will be a different experience with a baby, no doubt.

I always see it as better than sitting at home with the baby where there is no maid, no chef, no enterainment. :D

As always, it depends on the baby. Does he travel easily? Go with the flow? Just try to stick to his normal routine/schedule and you will be fine.

Have a great cruise!

We found when our kids were babies (6 to 12 months old) they were a bit easier to manage on trips than say 18 months old. At this age, you don't have to chase them all over, worry about their newly walking feet tripping them up, etc.

Also, a nine month old can be easily amused at meal times by feeding them/allowing them to self feed things like mashed bananas, finely diced apples, potatoes or sippy cups of milk, juice or water, etc.

Good luck and enjoy your family vacation!:)

My GD was 6 months old and she was easy. My GS who had been fine on other cruises turned 3 YO on this one. He for some unknown reason did not want to be in the dining room. Screamed in fact, so my DD spent every night either eating in the cabin or at the buffet. In fairness to the little one, we had very long excursions. We left early in the day and got back in time to go to dinner. He was tired. No nap and going all day. We didn't take that into consideration and that was our mistake. With proper naps, he'd have been fine. Plus, we had early seating so we were unable to leave him at the kids center. Next year he'll be 4, so I'm priming him that he will want to eat in the restaurant, he will, he will.....

We took our DD at 7 and 12 months and both were enjoyable. 18 months got more difficult when she was walking/runnning. You can do babysitting on sea days form noon-2pm so that might give you some break during the day. It was nice for us to have a couple of hrs to ourselves. They also have babysitting nightly from 10pm-3am. Although since the baby gets up early we were exhausted by 10pm and just went to bed. We kept to her schedule with naps,mealtimes etc. I think you will have a great time. My DD will be 3 this Oct and we are due with #2 in Dec. so we will be cruising next yr with 2 young ones too.

Julie

The only question I have is how does your youngest travel? It seems your older child handles travel well.........how does your youngest do traveling? If he/she don't travel well, then I would say wait awhile.....if they travel well, then go for it.

We did the Mexican Riviera with our 5mo old, 23mo old, and 4yo. My parents went along and my mom was extremely helpful. We actually had time to relax. The baby would sleep in the stroller which was very helpful. The 4yo loved Camp Carnival. The 23mo old loved to climb the stairs which was tiring. We didn't do much as far as excursions but still enjoyed ourselves.

All great comments. My friend with 3 kids has figured out that the best way to travel with kids is for the parents to relax, go with the flow, and relax your expectations. Our kids mimic our patterns. If we are calm, they are too. Both our girls will be turing 1 and 4 during the cruise and we can not wait. Kids don't know what their options are and will just be happy to be-as we say-in the mix!

The only question I have is how does your youngest travel? It seems your older child handles travel well.........how does your youngest do traveling? If he/she don't travel well, then I would say wait awhile.....if they travel well, then go for it.

Yes, our 3-y-o travels well. Usually a rough first night but then adjusts to the time change & loves to go, go, go! Not sure how DS travels. We haven't taken him anywhere yet so this will be his first trip. We live in SD, which makes it easy for us b/c we just have to get on the boat & voila! We're on vacation!

Archived